The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Tyler Motte to Rangers for 2023 4th-round pick

Just now, nergish said:

How could you have watched Tyler Motte over the last few seasons and come to conclusion that he's overrated?

I'm extremely disappointed in the return, as he's going to help NYR immensely. Those kind of guys have got some pretty nice returns at past deadlines, and even in the last few days.

We gave him away. Obviously contract talks did not go well.

Because I'm not starstruck over 4th liners.

I like the player, but the cost to keep him would not have been feasible.  How many Beagles, Roussel, Ferlands, etc., do we need to go through before realizing you don't overpay to keep these guys around?

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

Recouping an asset for a player that won't be resigning is never a bad thing. Exactly the type of deal fans were thinking would be best, but since it came down as a 4th as the Rangers have no 3rds and were not going to part with a 2nd I am sure fans will be unpleased.

Regardless, the team is starting to follow through on their vision moving forward and the team got 6 years younger on defense, moved a 4th liner for a pick and replaced said fourth liner with a comparable for free. No complaints here.

Sorry CDC, Motte was not going to net a Brandon Hagel return so we can stop acting surprised or disappointed.

Wish Motte all the best!

• Vintage 1

Just now, tas said:

I'll bet you my next paycheque that keeping motte and letting him play out the last 20 games of the season and then walk would still be more of a contribution than that 4th rounder will ever make to the team. 

Rather do asset management. Look at how much contribution Hamhuis did in his last 20 games 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, nergish said:

How could you have watched Tyler Motte over the last few seasons and come to conclusion that he's overrated?

I'm extremely disappointed in the return, as he's going to help NYR immensely. Those kind of guys have got some pretty nice returns at past deadlines, and even in the last few days.

We gave him away. Obviously contract talks did not go well.

Shows a sever lack of knowledge of the game if that is the conclusion drawn there. 

Hope this Helps. 

Man &^@# this GM group.. TRASH.. id rather keep Motte than take a 4th.. Maybe spend more time shopping a Miller than using up your time to trade for a Leaf cast off, and getting ripped off for Motte.. This team is never going to win $&!#

Hahahahahaha.

This thread will be fun

Traded a guy people loved for less than their perceived value of him without considering he might have been to expensive to retain anyways.

Let's watch.

giphy.gif

Edited by Warhippy
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

Why are so many mad at new management?

- Market value for a fourth line forward

- They tried for an extension before trading him, but Motte's camp wanted too much

- You don't pay fourth liners over 2 mill

- We got capital we can use either for the draft or trades

I wish we got more, but it is what it is. These are the types of moves we need to make to be successful in the bigger picture, things our previous regime didn't do.

• Cheers 1

Just now, eeeeergh said:

He would have indicated he plans on testing free agency in order for this deal to happen, OR the team has plans on building the team without him.

Either way, free asset, no complaints. 

Similarly to Copp in Winnipeg, Motte's play might have priced himself out of Vancouver

This is obviously the best that the market would pay. If allvin doesn't make this deal everyone hates on him for not getting anything.

It is what it is. Obviously his ask on his next contract was too steep. We arent making the playoffs so why keep him for the rest of the season. Time to move on.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Jack Fig said:

31 other teams can re-sign him too. And many of those teams have a lot more going for them than the Canucks do. 

So what? This deal happened b/c either Motte indicated he was going to test free agency (so we got a free asset) or named a price the Canucks werent willing to pay to re-sign him (and we get a free asset).

Hard to see how this is an L. 

People are just upset we didn't trade Miller, Garland, Boeser, Horvat, Petey, Hogs, Pearson, Myers, and OEL for Chytil and the Rangers's late 1st. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, Gator said:

Man &^@# this GM group.. TRASH.. id rather keep Motte than take a 4th.. Maybe spend more time shopping a Miller than using up your time to trade for a Leaf cast off, and getting ripped off for Motte.. This team is never going to win $&!#

RE TOOL 2.0 - WHOA.  ric flair GIF

• Sad 1