The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Spencer Martin Extension

aGENT

4 hours ago, EddieVedder said:

He deserves to be our backup.  He played like a legit #1 in those 3 games. 

3 games is a really small sample size.  He has 6 NHL games in his entire career at 28.  He had no pressure to perform with both goalies not available.  Pressure/expectation is different if he is the designated backup.  Would be a gamble and would be an indication that they aren't too concerned about taking a step back next season.

The risk with a backup that can't keep up is that they overplay Demko.

Edited by mll
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

Sign him to a 1 year 1 way deal, something like 800k to 1M and see what he can do. If he really struggles then we may be forced into a backup trade, but hopefully he can give us more of the same - he was outstanding in the games he played, we just weren't very good.

If he performs well we could have a nice little goalie tandem going forward because it's so important to rest Demko. In the ideal world, Demko plays 60 games and Martin/whoever else plays 20 games. Just look at Calgary, they've got their goalies sorted properly (albeit behind great defences), but Vladar has played a good number of games and performed well behind Marky and that's what we need. No goalie can play 70+ games anymore as well as the post-season and still perform well. So many times in the playoffs, we see whichever goalie is hottest at the time.

i'm ok with him if he signs to league minimum.. i mean we need to have a backup plan in case he doesnt work out and we need to trade for a backup goalie IF we are in a playoff hunt next season.. can't risk burning out demko as he's shown he's not quite ready to take on 60+ games a season yet as we see fatigue setting in during march.

Im okay bringing him back to see if he can battle it out with another goalie for the back up position. I'm not quite locking him in as the number two. Its one thing to look good in a short sample size in 3 games, but to now be considered as someone who is dependable to take away 20-25 or more games away from Demko is another.

Martin still has lots to prove, but he sounds like he has really evolved his game this season in Abbotsford. under Curtis Sanford's watch.

9 hours ago, Alflives said:

Two year (one way) deal.  Halak’s bonus will go t next year’s cap, so if we sign Martin to 1 mil, and add in Halak’s bonus, that a 2.5 mil for the backup.  7.5 for our goalies.  

don't forget the 1.9 mil for Holtby so 9.4 mil

9 hours ago, mll said:

3 games is a really small sample size.  He has 6 NHL games in his entire career at 28.  He had no pressure to perform with both goalies not available.  Pressure/expectation is different if he is the designated backup.  Would be a gamble and would be an indication that they aren't too concerned about taking a step back next season.

I'm sure we'll see another goalie signed who Martin can compete with at camp. There should be a few lower priced options out there. 

But I disagree that he had no pressure to perform in those games. 

33 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I'm sure we'll see another goalie signed who Martin can compete with at camp. There should be a few lower priced options out there. 

But I disagree that he had no pressure to perform in those games. 

Don't forget about Mikey D , who has also been playing very well

• Vintage 1

19 minutes ago, stawns said:

Don't forget about Mikey D , who has also been playing very well

that would be a good story too. I just wouldn't be surprised if PA signed a b-level vet for 1 mil to create some extra competition. 

Sign Martin to 2 years at 1.1 per.  Then he and Mikey D can fight it out for the back-up role to Double Bubble Boy.  If Mikey wins then Martin can play in Abbotsford at no cost to our cap.  If Martin wins then Mikey plays a bunch in Abbotsford.  

Internal competition, that is actually legit, is important at all postitions.

11 hours ago, mll said:

Thanks. People that are sitting Halak should be wary of this move. Could leave us in the same pickle next year. We've shown this team and Demko both need a top quality back up.