The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Allvin & Rutherford Press Summary

Rate this topic

MrCanuck94

One thing I recall from one of JR's earlier pressers, always having the next candidate in mind.

Whether you sign the best player or best staff member, always searching and looking for better.

It would suck to lose Bruce, but I'm sure they have a few candidates in mind that are just as good, if not better, to replace him.

• Vintage 1

13 minutes ago, Provost said:

Ya, it is pretty ridiculous to compare them.

The proof is in the pudding though.  Benning would say he wants to get younger and patiently build through the draft… then a month later spend all his cap money on overpriced veterans and trade away all his top picks.  He voiced an entirely different plan every few months and then none of his actions would actually follow what the said.

I have hopes for the new regime doing what they say, as they are saying the right things.  If they sign Miller to a long term high dollar contract on July 1st, then that goes against their messaging.  

If they give Boudreau some better puck moving D to help with zone exits… then that fits with their messaging.  Coaches have to play systems that suit the players they have.  Our current defence just may not be capable of playing the systems JR wants.  An offseason to plan and some new horses to use, Boudreau should be able to instil some better habits.

I said it before, if you turn Miller into 1-2 great D, it is probably not going to reduce our overall offence at all.  The systems are built to shelter and help out a largely poor D corps.  You give us a high end puck moving D to put into the top 4 along side OEL and you probably add 5-10 points per forward next year as they get picks to make their plays better and more consistently.  Our D aside from Hughes didn’t provide any offence at all, folks tend to forget how important D are for driving offence… not just in producing points, but starting out transitions and getting the play going the other direction.

Exactly. The D drives the O. Can't score in your own zone.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, tas said:

I like bruce but I wouldn't extend him either. aside from the reasons mentioned, I also feel like once the upbeat, nice guy attitude wears thin and stops motivating, I don't think he has the technical coaching chops to steer the team. his systems and in-game adjustments and whatnot are far from elite nhl coaching level. 

there's a reason why his teams in the past haven't succeeded when it counts. I felt, even before he was hired, that he was the right midseason replacement for this group because of how negative things had gotten and because he is a super positive guy that would refresh the room. he's definitely not the coach I would choose to start trying to build a contender around. 

You are not much on stats are you. BB's winning % is second to Scotty Bowman. I don't know how more elite you want?

• Vintage 2

2 hours ago, tas said:

and maybe as a little homage for luc bourdon. 

Oh just stop!

I was just thinking it was nice that 67 didn't bring up that dumb angle

but then you had too.

Have you ever heard of that happening in any sport ever?

Maybe we should send Kuzma down to interview Letang and ask him if he will come to Vancouver for that reason.

guys wear their dead friend's number, Bo Horvat, but they don't move across the continent to play for a team that their buddy barely even played for

this place, , ,

shakes head

3 hours ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

I liked the emphasis on simply getting better, not a bunch of abstract blather about windows opening and closing. 

That is a real thing.. lol

You suck at the start of a rebuild, that's a closed window...

You are a top team, open window..

Cant pay everyone, Cant gain every asset on the way to a cup for free.. history shows mostly slow climb with a sharp fall over 10 year periods 

We are just all soo use to poor management, We need to hear our new guys say something like simply get better to feel reassurance :P

14 minutes ago, 70seven said:

Summary…

Boeser is getting done.

Coach decides to stay or go.

They will make low-mid level trades/fa signings to retool the D/bottom 6. 

nuff said

I basically got the same impression. Status quo! 

I think it's Rathbone time which excites me! But I have this pit in my stomach that he'll be traded and it'll be Rathbone time somewhere else. 

• Sad 1

Ya not happy Bruce is not given an extension given his success.. if he decides to come back.. there will be the distraction hanging over him the entire season.. I wouldn't be surprised if another team see Bruce's success offers him a longer term contract and he doesn't come back to the canucks.. kinds felt like they minimized his success because it wasn't for 82 games.. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

47 minutes ago, lmm said:

this is a funny place

on one hand people are happy that Franco let the management do their job

and on the other hand 

fans want to kept up to date on management's plan

isn't that like asking the chess master for a diagram of how he is going to win his next tournament?

"

Hey guys, how you gonna fix it?"

"Well we are going to try to keep Poolman's headaches under wraps until after we trade him, we are also going to be hush hush about Suttsy's long covid, then we are going to try to fleece Ottawa again and see if we can traded them Dickieboy for Batherson, if we have to we might put out a hit squad on any living player that we are stuck paying who is not still on our roster, and maybe some who are... but these are all secrets, so don't tell anyone" 

I think Frank can make that happen. He just needs to make a couple of phone calls. 

• Haha 1

Why does Ryan Johnson get praise?   Our AHL club has consistently missed the playoffs up until this year where we're being led by a veteran group, we have churned out literally zero prospects and not just that but we've had prospects simply leave saying they don't even know what they were supposed to be doing..  His reign has been equally as disappointing as Benning's, he should be gone as well. 

53 minutes ago, lmm said:

Oh just stop!

I was just thinking it was nice that 67 didn't bring up that dumb angle

but then you had too.

Have you ever heard of that happening in any sport ever?

Maybe we should send Kuzma down to interview Letang and ask him if he will come to Vancouver for that reason.

guys wear their dead friend's number, Bo Horvat, but they don't move across the continent to play for a team that their buddy barely even played for

this place, , ,

shakes head

it's obviously not going to be the deciding factor, but all else being equal do you really not think that would cross his mind?

9 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

Allvin is a total yes man to JR.  He said nothing that didn't start with  well as Jim just said..

Not impressed with him. At all.

Rutherford has refused to give BB his props for a great year. I didn't like that. 

My question is what have Allvin and JR done so far? Not much.

Ok guess we will see but I think it's a big miss to say BB didn't earn an extension.  Ya right says the two guys who have done nothing yet...

I'm glad this was said. I'm not overly thrilled with what management has done so far. All I hear is a lot of "we tried".

I liked hamonic, but the players didn't so it's a fair move to get a 3rd I guess. But then to dump a third for Dermott... Very questionable. Then to come out and say we've been trying to get Rathbone up for months... Uhhhh what? This sounds a lot like the JB "we ran out of time" to me.

They're not impressed with the success this team had since Bruce came in... Yet they couldn't find him a decent backup even if one was in their own back yard.h They wasted even more money next year by starting halak through his bonus games played. 

This management group seems like they like to sit in a circle and talk about their feelings rather than improve this hockey team. Looking back at it now it's pretty evident that's the case with all of their management PR hirings. 

I'm going to come out right now and say it. 

I don't see this management team having much success here if this is a sign of things to come.

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

14 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

Rutherford has refused to give BB his props for a great year. I didn't like that. 

What I found interesting as well, is when Allvin said that Pettersson, Hughes and Demko have potential to be superstars, but he never even mentioned Miller or Horvat. They also never commented on JT's great year of 99 points, or Bo's highest goal scoring season. My guess is these are negotiating tactics. Admitting those guys are superstars could be very expensive. 

2 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

What does that mean lol? 

As of right now, is BB under contract for the 2022 2023 season?

He is still under contract, however the team as well as Boudreau both have options to get out of the last year. The deadline is June 1 as Deb said. 

• Vintage 1