The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Blue Jackets re-sign Brendan Gaunce

38 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Good for him!

I honestly would have predicted him having to play overseas by now. He just didn’t have the skating or anything that really stood out in his game.

The fact that he will make 450k even in the minors is very impressive.

Think that was his problem.  Didn't have any real weakness but wasn't really great at anything either.  Think Tim Schaller - only over a million cheaper.

Might end up with a longer career than Jake Virtanen. 

By Mike Gillis benchmarks, Gillis had a good year (Gaunce & Hutton).:lol:

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Haha 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

As much as he was a bust for us. He is still living a dream and making hundreds of thousands of dollars and millions in his career. easily way more than any professional businessman or professionals out there. It’s hard to imagine how much money there is out there for athletes in comparison to regular commoners. These guys aren’t even famous. I guess the education route was a complete scam…….

3 minutes ago, ktcy2 said:

As much as he was a bust for us. He is still living a dream and making hundreds of thousands of dollars and millions in his career. easily way more than any professional businessman or professionals out there. It’s hard to imagine how much money there is out there for athletes in comparison to regular commoners. These guys aren’t even famous. I guess the education route was a complete scam…….

If only I had a son…..

Good guy, was a good player for us imo. Had 5 goals in 30 games last season. Not too shabby. He isn't a bad player by any means. A great depth guy in my books. 50% faceoff guy. He doesn't hurt your team when he's in the lineup. Unless you overuse him. He'll give you a competitive 8-10 minutes of ice time.

I am guessing he could go overseas and make more money and have a bigger role. But why do that when you can make 450k (minimum) playing hockey in North America? That's still like 7x what the average Canadian makes. As of 2021 anyway according to my very quick google search. He also makes that in the US where their taxes are better.

Always liked him and thought he was finally coming into his own when he left us. Nice to see he's finally getting another chance at the NHL level. I think he can stick full time as a 4th liner.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Always liked Gaunce.  I remember him helping Tryamkin finish the ?Grouse Grind in prospects’ camp.  I remember him locking a shot with his teeth and finishing his shift.  Super likeable person.  Good for him.  And it’s a great contract.  Guaranteed 900 k very these two years.  Clearly CBJ really likes him too.  

This^

Gaunce is a beauty. I'd take him here on this deal in a heartbeat.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BobbyClarke said:

2012 draft was horrible for almost every team. Some gems but mostly coal. 

I'll say

5 picks before and 10 after Gaunce (148) with GP in brackets

Jankowski (272), Maata (534), Matheson (417), Subban (86), Schmaltz (42)

Samuelsson (3), Skjei (448), Matheau (92), Pearson (576), Dansk (6), Moroz (0), Collberg (0), Pokka (0), Finn (0), Kerdiles (3)

Gaunce has the 6th most games of the 16 players drafted from #21- #36