The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Do You Have the Stomach For a Rebuild?

Rate this topic

Warhippy

Would You Accept A Rebuild?  

208 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 12/4/2022 at 1:26 PM, Intoewsables said:

Rebuilding right now would be foolish. We have the best group of forwards in the entire league and one of the best goalies as well. We've had an unprecedented string of injuries and bad luck, but when it all balances out in our favour again, we'll be among the top of the league for sure. We should be looking to add to the team and help out the PK so we can get into the playoffs and win the Cup! :towel:

Where can I get some those 

200.gif

Its just so frustrating that JR didn't bite the bullet right when he arrived. Canuck luck in that Bruce started a 10 game winning streak, and understandably paused any rash move by ownership.  But last Summer was a big moment to pull the plug.  Whether it was also Aquilini chiming in, but for whatever reason, JR decided that the team was past a kind of critical mass and it was less damaging to move forward now, as opposed to retreating.  Maybe a few factors weighed in, like landing Kuzmenko and knowing Miller didn't want to just skip out of town like other American elite talent, and was willing to stay if the price was right,  ( I still love this signing) and thinking Boeser would inevitably have a bounce back season, all combined to tip the balance.  Thinking Poolman and Dermott would be serviceable to shore up the D. etc etc.

But now because of that decision JR has already doubled down, on JB's doubling down on doubling down.  And put the team into an even worse state to be in for a major rebuild. With no elite prospects, or stocked high picks on the horizon, and the team playing close to the basement of the league, and a topped up cap with problem contracts, the only way now for full rebuild is probably more like a 10 year rebuild than a 3-5 year rebuild.  And that's where JR is weighing the risk of just keeping on the retool strategy, and make some noise by pulling off a few more good trades or acquisitions like Kuz, Mik, Bear, especially on defence.

And even if we don't make the playoffs this season, we may be able to create more cap space through the TD and the summer, to really build a decent defense core, and/or land an elite D.  Maybe only give up one good player, for a young D or a shot at the Bedard lottery.  And give this present younger core another shot next season. 

I just think that management risks losing Petey if they tear it all down ruthlessly.  And that would be a tragedy on the scale of losing Neely. We complain here that we have never had a number one pick.  Petey is a number one pick by all intents and purposes. (and I'd argue Bure was as well)  I can understand not wanting to lose him OR waste his best years here. And continue to retool all the way through next season too.  Because by then, Myers contract is for sure done. Petey will be happier if the team is not stripped down. Miller staying I think would be important to him.  And we will most likely have a more systems disciplinarian coach by then.

So to me, its understandable if we don't see any major moves until at least the TD.  But its kind of damned if you do and damned if you don't at this point. But I now lean more towards the no rush, retool, approach. If some are arguing that fans can be patient for a full rebuild.....after a decade of misery already....then surely they can have patience for one more season for the retool approach.

1 hour ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Rebuild confirmed he says. Not so fast. I guess it's possible ... Maybe ?

Until I see a string of moves headed in the same direction towards being sellers, I'll take anything coming out of the front office with the same weight as press releases from the Kremlin.

• Vintage 1

I really don't think we need a rebuild in the way most people are thinking it: we need one new Dman who can play defense at a high level and ONE upgrade on Myers. 

We can trade away one of our top forwards and Myers to get that done, I think. if we lose two forwards and come out wiht a vastly improved D that is cool too. 

I dig OEL, I dig Hughes, I like Bear and i even like Stillman at his price. If we are getting calls on Schenn, at 33, lets trade him out for another asset to get better long term, maybe a pick, maybe a young player, who knows. There are nine guys up front I rally like, and one might be lost in the predeadline shuffle: but having 8 f and 4 D and two G that I enjoy and I think are good at their jobs doesn't scream rebuild, it screams 'put some frosting on that cake'. 

The faster we move Myers out the better, imo.

EDIT: TO answer the poll question: yeah i would obviously stick around through a rebuild but I just don't think we need one. Ship out Myers, trade one of our top nine out for help on D and most of the heavy lifting is done.

Edited by Primal Optimist
  • RoughGame 2

I have the stomach for a rebuild but not this anymore. I am actively cheering against the team as of late. Apathy is setting in. I've even had the evil thought of let's trade Hughes which should never exist. That's how bad this situation has become.

If we got Dumba for Boeser I might think differently if he can pair up with Hughes nicely but aside from getting a top pair D man for Hughes I don't think I can stomach this anymore.

Just make the pain stop. For the love of god lol. 

• Cheers 3
  • There it is 1

8 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

I have the stomach for a rebuild but not this anymore. I am actively cheering against the team as of late. Apathy is setting in. I've even had the evil thought of let's trade Hughes which should never exist. That's how bad this situation has become.

If we got Dumba for Boeser I might think differently if he can pair up with Hughes nicely but aside from getting a top pair D man for Hughes I don't think I can stomach this anymore.

Just make the pain stop. For the love of god lol. 

I am kinda with you on a high end defender to pair with our high end offencer on the blueline. I am not quite actively cheering for the team to lose yet though, hahaha....one win away from .500!!

• Huggy Bear 1

Demko struggling might be a good long term thing for the club, highlighting the weaknesses in structure and personnel.

We’re probably in or right there for the playoffs if he’s healthy. 

Hopefully as the cap opens up management can adjust as needed. Might be slower than we’d like in the current climate though and the more I think about it, what’s the rush?  

If you’re retooling there isn’t much of a margin for error so need to get it right.. and if we’re rebuilding then who cares.  Hold on and get the most you can. 

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Primal Optimist said:

I am kinda with you on a high end defender to pair with our high end offencer on the blueline. I am not quite actively cheering for the team to lose yet though, hahaha....one win away from .500!!

I wish I could be that optimistic. I can only watch 1-2 games a week. Maybe they are saving their wins for when I'm not watching lol . It's just tough the team hasn't showed any consistency. A new coach might help but truthfully it's the core that's the problem. 

we tried changing the coach but that didn't fix it long term. The Boudreau bump is over. I expect some form of change. Switch the assistants first if required  do something 

• There it is 2

10 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

Demko struggling might be a good long term thing for the club, highlighting the weaknesses in structure and personnel.

We’re probably in or right there for the playoffs if he’s healthy. 

Hopefully as the cap opens up management can adjust as needed. Might be slower than we’d like in the current climate though and the more I think about it, what’s the rush?  

If you’re retooling there isn’t much of a margin for error so need to get it right.. and if we’re rebuilding then who cares.  Hold on and get the most you can. 

Well said.   Doubt we see a trade this month no matter how good or poorly the team plays.    Make a trade when the right deal comes along for Horvat if we go that direction ... Brock and Myers pretty much anytime as long as it doesn't affect our cap next season if we are re-tooling.  Lucic and a pick for Brock IF we need his cap for the next deal ... then do it.   Then upgrade Myers or find a partner for QHs.    Maybe a swap for Dumba straight across is fine too.  

• Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...

After some of these disgusting games.  Lack of effort to start the game.  Heartless play.  Pathetic penalty killing.

I am now team blow this $#!^ up.

I knew the team was going to lose after the first goal against.  I should start betting on these games.

• Like 2
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • There it is 1

48 minutes ago, danjr said:

After some of these disgusting games.  Lack of effort to start the game.  Heartless play.  Pathetic penalty killing.

I knew the team was going to lose after the first goal against.  I should start betting on these games.

Joining Welcome Home GIF

• Huggy Bear 1
  • There it is 1

51 minutes ago, danjr said:

Join Us Mystery Science Theater 3000 GIF by MOODMAN

• Haha 1
  • There it is 1

Any fan who wants the best for the team should understand that things need to get worse before they get better. No more of this “anything can happen in the playoffs” to encourage bubble playoff mediocrity. 

The casuals won’t like it because it’ll mean that there’s going to be a lot of sucking, but the team finally needs to rebuild the right way. 

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

20 minutes ago, guntrix said:

Any fan who wants the best for the team should understand that things need to get worse before they get better. No more of this “anything can happen in the playoffs” to encourage bubble playoff mediocrity. 

The casuals won’t like it because it’ll mean that there’s going to be a lot of sucking, but the team finally needs to rebuild the right way. 

Our best team was the Sedin led group.  We drafted them 2OA and 3OA.  Our previously best team was led by Linden.  Got him 2OA.  Too bad this owner doesn’t understand winning teams (9/10 times) are built on their own top 5 picks.  We have one in Petey.  Need several more. 

Perfect year for a rebuild and sale, including Demko. We've got so many good players we could sell, and teams who want them.

Miller could fetch us a top prospect and 1st, maybe a bit more if we take a bad contract back.

Bo could do the same, plus a good young player.

Myers could fetch us a 2nd or maybe a 1st if we take a 5-6M bad contract on.

Schenn a 2nd

Boeser a 2nd or good prospect, Garland similar.