The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) for Mitchell Marner

59 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

The entire team was struggling, yes.

But thank god he's not a prima donna and is willing to adjust according to what his team needs. The guy just wants to win and that's a quality that helps him drive this team at times.

Yes, it does help, at times; it also hurts at times.

More hurt, so far, this season, than help.

But he has 7 more years to turn it around.

6 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Honestly agree! Youre 100% right I know you're trolling but we get worse trading Miller + Myers for Marner 

Miller for Marner is kind of equal. Two different players, helping and hurting, their teams in different ways.

Having Myers in the deal means a lost trade for the Canucks.

22 plus minutes, on defense, is not replaced by getting a different forward.

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

The caveat to your statement is that the entire Toronto Maple Leafs squad has shown they're hit and miss come playoff time. Team game at the end of the day. They hit enough to get to game seven but can't close it out. Any way you spin it, whether he's worth his salary come playoff time or not, 33 points in 39 games tells me he's showing up and producing more often than not. He's also 4-5 years younger than Miller so the comparison isn't direct, you'd have a better picture if they were the same age but they aren't. Miller's likely peaked, I reckon Marner hasn't. Whether Marner is worth his salary come playoff thus far? That's another argument. But overall, yeah, I'd say Marner is better and when they both wrap up their careers the numbers probably indicate this. 

Ain't a physical player, ain't his game. Just like it ain't Petey's. Or Boeser's. Or Bo's for the most part. That's why you have other guys on the roster. I'd argue he brings better defensive attributes to the table though to counteract some of this. 

Believe what you want though, I don't have all day to go around in circles on this. Let's agree to disagree on who's better. 

just one thing I will point out - Petey is becoming a lot more physical. The way he's engaging now is something Marner doesn't do. 

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, Shayster007 said:

In theory a 2 way, but one of the biggest knocks about Miller is his 2way play. Marner on the other hand has been 14th, 33rd, 10th, and 16th in Selke voting the last 4 years. If anyone here thinks he's a pure offense guy they are criminal misinformed.

Petey and Marner on a first line pk would be an absolute force in the NHL. I'd jump at the chance to get Marner in a heartbeat. Marner for Miller would never happen, but it would be a massive win for the Canucks.

I agree.  Leafs would never do this deal.  Marner is a top 10 forward in the NHL and is actually a very good defensive forward.  Petey and Marner would be lights out together...

• Upvote 2
  • There it is 1

If Toronto want/need defencemen, and it looks like they lack RDs too, what about Miller + Myers (and we retain what we need to) for Marner?

If we do it this season, we retain 1M, get Marner locked down (25yr old, not going anywhere) but then have the obvious hole on defence that needs sorting out. Meanwhile Toronto get a tough top-6 "two-way" forward (lol) who plays with grit and a top-4 defenceman who can play shutdown minutes. Don't know why the Canucks do it but what the heck, it'd be fun to have Marner on board.

Then we'd desperately need to flip some wingers for defencemen.

For funsies:

1) Boeser + Burroughs + 2nd for Carlo + 4th

2) Garland for Roy (LAK)

Mikheyev - Pettersson - Marner

Podkolzin - Horvat - Kuzmenko

Pearson - Lazar - Hoglander

Joshua - Aman - Studnicka

Hughes - Carlo

OEL - Roy

Dermott - Schenn

Bear
Rathbone

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, luckylager said:

I get the leafs hate, and crapping on their players because it's fun and all... but Marner is so much better than Miller. 

Canucks do this deal 100% of the time no matter what, sadly theres no way the leafs reciprocate.

Marner wouldn't put those numbers up on a team where he was forced to play like a man and put in an acceptable effort in his own zone.  I wouldn't pick up that gutless piece of garbage from waivers.

• Haha 2
  • RoughGame 1

2 hours ago, -DLC- said:

Let's let some Leaf fans weigh in ... you know, the ones who watch the games. This is from Friday (and before you chime in with "sure, after a loss" remember that our players are also being compared based on our rough start without any regard for what JT did do last year...seems only fair to take the current situation into account for them/the Leafs too):

After the Marner "we're grown men" video:

There's lots more...we can dig into last year or the year before to see that Marner isn't always in the golden category either. Despite his stats. 

Team game. But the grass is always greener on the other side. 

No one can question JT's determination to win/not lose. Not sure if Mitchy has the same raw/pissed off emotion that can elevate in times of trouble like JT can. Power forwards are hard to come by and JT's definitely one of them. (Loved the fact that he was "fired up" after seeing Pearson fight and he wanted to get in on that too....and did).

I don't want cute cuddly Mitch on the team...I want foul, miserable JT. 

But enough from me...we all know how I feel. It's not just bias based though...I know what kind of players do well in the playoffs. Can save the sinking ship because they do have pride. Anyone denying that just needs to recall what JT did last year when many would've just thrown in the towel and moved on.

I have to agree. As much as Marner is a damn good player, who has the numbers to back it up, four years younger, who plays a solid all-around game, he's too soft. When push comes to shove, it's guys like that who vanish, despite his playoff points. Plus, his 10 mil cap hit is a big part of why TO have problems getting out of the 1st round. 

Great player in many ways, just not someone I'd go to war with. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, hammertime said:

Honestly agree! Youre 100% right I know you're trolling but we get worse trading Miller + Myers for Marner 

Not trolling.  Hate the Leafs.  So if they have a guy I think is really good he must be ... really good.  The rest of their club is craperolla, including “pants down” and “don’t hit me”.  

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Marner wouldn't put those numbers up on a team where he was forced to play like a man and put in an acceptable effort in his own zone.  I wouldn't pick up that gutless piece of garbage from waivers.

Wow I can't remember the last time I heard a take this bad.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3