The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Bo Horvat to Islanders for Anthony Beauvillier, Aatu Raty, 2023 1st-round draft pick

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

C'mon, that's a sh!t deal for your captain and top 5 goal scorer in the league.  At least bring back a dman of some kind, even as the cap dump.  A small winger who doesn't score?

Cousin Eddie Battle GIF

He’s not a top 5 scorer and he has led us nowhere as a captain. Realistically Bo is a 60 point scoring center. Maybe the return could have been a touch better, but not by much. 

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Ballisticsports. said:

In a couple of months Bo wasn't even a Canuck

They weren't about to pay him to keep the same group we have now that doesn't make the playoffs 

We got something for nothing because he was ONLY a rental

If Bo had another year on his contract the return would have been better

After so many horrible years i wanna see new players on this team, what we were getting was unacceptable

I agree, it's been a while of churning out the same losing patterns now. I hope this is the start of a LOT of trades.

Boeser is surely gone, I've been one of his biggest fans but if we're losing Bo, we better be getting rid of Boeser too.

I'd like for Miller to be gone too ideally but doubt we can shift that contract and management will want him at center (even though the coaches won't play him there). 

If that's the case I wouldn't mind keeping Beauvillier, Garland and Mikheyev. With Pearson we're probably still one bottom-6 winger too heavy there but shedding Boeser and Miller would go a long way. I'd happily eat a bad contract from a contender if it means they'll give us a 1st though.

This trade wreaks of a stealth rebuild masked as a retool which I'm all for, but the other deals and movements have to mimic that. We can't surely gun for the playoffs next year with this current lineup. I'll accept trading a couple more forwards away for another 1.5 years of being below .500.

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Fun fact #2:

With BO gone, we probably have a good shot at a top 3 pick this year.  Which means we have a good shot at either Connor Bedard, Adam Fantilli, or Leo Carlsson.  If we get one of these centres in the draft I think we will probably be alright...

Two picks in the 1 - 3 and 13 - 15 ranges would be a good start

The Isles 1st could be interesting - I could see Isles cratering with Bo but I hope that is not the case. I would prefer getting a 13 - 15 draft pick this year rather than han a flyer at a lower pick next year.

Hopefully management can get some more 2023 1st round picks

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, BlakeQuinnAndEggs said:

That trade was huge for the Canucks. Bertuzzi and McCabe, then McCabe was part of the trade for the pick that drafted one of the Sedins (we had the other pick)

Also Pavel Bure turned into Ed Jovanovski and it hurt to lose our best 2 players but Linden eventually came back and Bure, unfortunately, had his career cut short by injuries.

So trading those 2 turned into integral parts of the WCE Era and Sedin wonder twin 2011 Era because Bertuzzi turned into Luongo.

Big trades is how you progress, they don't always work but you don't know unless you try.

Bertuzzi Mcabe and a pick that turned into Jarkko Ruttu. that often gets missed in that trade discussion.

Big trades can help but good drafting is better

• There it is 1

11 minutes ago, R3aL said:

I think if we waited to the final week to TDL we could have maybe gotten another pick like a 2nd rounder maybe. But we would have risked injury and maybe won a couple more games.

I agree.

I like the trade for us.

I don't necessarily agree. Doing it earlier gives them more time to negotiate and evaluate his fit. Also there is the risk of injury and we may not get to trade him at all. I like the return. Ideally I wish we traded Miller in the offseason for more. But it is what it is. Just glad we got decent value for our UFA.

This is a wait and see deal to see where the dominos fall. 

Lots of people complaining but thats likely due to their lack of knowledge concerning this trade. So here are some points I want to make. 

1. Currently the 1st pick sits at 13th based on odds which is the best position we couldve gotten. Trading to a contender and we surely get a worse position. 

2. This was the best package offered - management as in every case takes the best package so its likely a defenseman worth trading for was not offered. 

3. We likely are NOT done yet with rumors regarding Garland, Boeser, Miller, Schenn, and Myers. 

4. Beuavillier was to make salary work but is a good player, under 26, only 4m on the books with 1 yr left after this and likely gets traded at this deadline or next. 

5. Bo was a rental. We werent getting Newhook, Byram, and players of that ilk - at least not without an extension in place.

6. Raty was a bonafide 1st rounder but had an underwhelming season in the SHL I believe which led to his stock dropping. Still has a high ceiling and a two-way 3rd line center floor but with top 6 potential. 

7. Schenn and 1 of Boeser/Garland/Myers are almost certain to be moved for futures and prospects. I do not see Miller being moved with Horvat now gone. 

8. Most importantly this improves our chances of improving our odds for 1st OA with the loss of Horvats production.

9. If Islanders protection works out, we could potentially have a top 5 pick next year as I see Islanders regressing if Horvat doesnt resign which I dont believe he will. He will surely test free agency. 

1 minute ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

I think the trade is as good as we can get. But Raty became a 2nd and just doesnt count as draft pedigree 

Bad draft year killed all the momentum he had. Still oozes potential.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Metal Face Doom said:

I remember people were up in arms about the Schneider deal at the time.  Turned out to be Bo.  We got the W.  

In the long run, I think we also get the W in this deal.  

You may be right Face, but as Sir John Maynard Keynes said, "In the long run, we're all dead."

Short-sighted, I know, I'm in it for the long run.

Win The Stanley Cup.

And then, never lose it.

Install it at Stanley Park.

Defy all to remove our finger bowl.

So with the plan being a short term retool with the goal of being good in a couple years how did this accomplish that?

Even if Raty pans out he’s not gonna be an impact player for at least 4 years. Beauvillier is yet another winger that takes up 4 mil in cap space and further hurts us from improving the D.

And I worry that they’re gonna flip the 1st this year to try and get help on D. Another deal like the Romanov or Lundqvist one…

That’s why I’m praying that the pick slides. If the pick is a 13-18 pick this draft I don’t see them keeping it. If it’s an undetermined pick in next years draft there’s no way they would trade it considering it could be a lotto pick.

I’ll be rooting for Raty, I hope he reaches his potential, but I feel like we just got farther away from actually fixing this team today.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

How many guys in Horvat’s draft year are captains of their teams and putting up nearly 30 goals? 

If picks pans out? 

We had a young Captain that was putting up numbers that was incredible. 

Come on man. 

C'mon? You think Bo wanted to stay here? Its a pretty high pick in a deep draft vs a high pick from a contending team. Pretty sure with the bump the Isles will get the pick will be this year. So possibly a top five pick and 15ish in a deep draft. Not bad 

2 minutes ago, Qwags said:

-Mikheyev shut down for the season, with potentially more being sat.
-Horvat dealt for a good haul
-Deadline still weeks away

Dare I say, this is a good thing.

For the first time in a long time, there looks to be an actual tank in play. Slow Motion Deal With It GIF

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

The time to get upset was the summer when they signed JTM before Bo.  Now this is the logical conclusion. 
To me it makes the JTM signing, or lack of moving, even more egregious because this is now free fall full tank mode. Our number 2 c is now JTM without any other options. 
Raty absolutely fills a glaring hole in our organization, a centre prospect of any kind. Looks like a potential 2/3 guy plays a physical game.  Concerns about pace and slow release but hard shot and physical. Good size too.  With him we are still short a few good C prospects, we just are even more short on RHD. 
‘Hope this is the first move of many. Isles look like they should finish around where we did last year which puts us where a lot of the best D in the class are expected to go. 
‘We need to get a lot of money off the wing now. Beauvillier has 4.1M cap hit so even more cap distributes to the wing. 
‘Brock, Garland need to go soon. I dream JTM goes to Carolina but know it won’t happen, it just makes too much sense for both teams.  Imagine JTM once Brindamour got him in shape and in the Carolina structure. 

• Like 1