The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Bo Horvat to Islanders for Anthony Beauvillier, Aatu Raty, 2023 1st-round draft pick

1 minute ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Yup, people that don't know who Raty is or what his ceiling is are the ones calling this trade a bad one.  Raty has potential to be a very good 2C.  Not unlike Horvat's normal career numbers.  Wouldn't surprise me one bit to see a 20 to 30 goal scoring centre that wins greater than 50% of his draws as prime Aatu Raty.

• Cheers 1

I think this is a fair deal. Beauvilier slots into the second line LW behind Kuzmenko, and his cap is lower than Bo’s with only one more year on his deal, We also got the Islanders top prospect in center Raty, AND we got a mid round 1st!

We got all that for Bo, who was always going to play behind Petterson in the depth chart, and whose contract expectations were much higher than his actual value, and who we weren’t going to sign. 

Depending on how things look closer to the deadline, we could move the first (or any other part of this return) in another deal. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Why weren't we keeping Bo?????

Because they signed Boeser and Mikheyev.... when they should have known Bo would have a good season before UFA and should have allowed CAP space to re-sign him.

A simple case of poor CAP management.

Raty is a 2nd rounder who has not shown much in the AHL.  Beauvillier is a serviceable bottom sixer who is being paid too much.  The pick is a mid pack... won't get us any guarateed roster player... most likely we'll see a bottom six forward or third pairing D in 2-3 years.

Because management prioritized Miller over Bo. Management never seemed to like Horvat. Signing Mikheyev is why we're losing Boeser, but it's not why we are losing Horvat. Management was never high on Horvat. Also, I imagine the Kuzmenko re-sign also killed any chances at Horvat. No mention of him in your crybaby post.

Remind me where Barzal was drafted again? Middle of the 1st, huh. We can play this what-if game both ways. It could be as you say, it could also be a 1st line, top 2 D talent. The fact is we weren't keeping Bo, we got some futures. It's better than nothing. And isn't as bad as people claim.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

It'd be amusing if the Isles missed the playoffs and Bo walked in the offseason. 

It'd be even more amusing if the Isles eked their way in this year, pushing the 1st rd pick to next year, Bo walks, and the Isles are a lottery team next year.

I know the return seems underwhelming, but there are a lot of ways this could blow up in the Isles face.

It's also interesting seeing Lou finally land the player that he missed out on in the 2013 draft. Full circle. 

is it even possible for the isles to make the playoffs AND have the pick punted to next year? aren't those things mutually exclusive?

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Yeah, this trade is pretty bad, if we're perfectly honest. We still haven't fixed the defense part of the team with this trade, but we lose a center.

I doubt Horvat would have fetched a top 3 RHD.

The trade is underwhelming but I always expected it to be underwhelming

Just make sure Canucks strikes gold with the assets involved 

• Cheers 1

I think what I cared most about Raty is if he's a faceoff guy and while a small sample size at the NHL level, he's at 52% this year. So hopefully he's a true centers and not one of those made to be wing types. Good size and skill also, could end up being a top 6 C for us.

The added 1st to hopefully land a dman and a project in Beauvillier is hopefully just the cherry on top.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, coryberg said:

Can you delete all your posts since October 28th while you are at it?

ethan-bear-canucks-twitter.jpeg

Carolina's 7th defenceman who was waived once is not the answer. As good as he's been, he's playing alongside Hughes who could make anyone look good - he's made Tampa's 7th defenceman Schenn look brilliant too.

Management need to pull one out and actually dedicate some value on this team to defence, not just flip 5th rounders for healthy scratches. Bear has played well, don't get me wrong, but he doesn't start on any playoff team and you and everyone here knows it. Try again.

While we're at it, I don't think OEL or Myers do either...

49 minutes ago, Darius said:

TSN saying that if the pick rolls into 2024 its not protected.  So does this mean if the Isles finish bottom 12 the pick gets deferred to next year?

They get first choice I believe? Was it Ottawa a while back that had to decide on their protected pick or risk being worse the following year? Anyways, it looks like a negotiation that had risks and rewards for both sides. As of today the Isles are sitting 14th in the league. They could easily fade down the stretch. If not, we get a real sweet mid first rounder in the draft. The pick is the real jewel in the haul IMHO.

• Cheers 1

I’m glad this distraction can finally be put in the rear view. They said that we needed major surgery, and it seems to me like this is it, or at least the beginning. 

Bo was great for us but as our performance has shown in recent years, for whatever reason, the group hasn’t had great results with him as the captain. It was time for a different direction. 

I hope this is the beginning of us getting back to some winning hockey. 

• Like 1