The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Aatu Räty | #27 | C

DSVII

5 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Interesting what Scouch had to say about Raty in his draft year; which turned out to be his worst.

The following year, Rats was traded to another Liga team and put up a point a game (41-13-17-40)

The World Juniors were cancelled in '21, but the following year (19yr) he went 7gp -3-7-10pts.

So far, he has played 27 AHL games -7-8-15pts.  Similar to Podz, but 2 yrs younger.

We'll see how he finishes his AHL year in Abby

It looks like 19yr old Raty is developing into the high-end player that Scouch thought he could possibly

be.

I think he only turned 20 a couple months ago too.  Plus, he seems like he went through a bit of a growth spurt in his draft year. Not easy to be growing while keeping up the level of athleticism.  IMHAO Raty is going to be seen as a steal in a couple years. He will be a 60+ point, 200 foot, hard to play against, big bodied centre. 

• elephant 2

13 hours ago, FlyLow_ said:

I haven't seen this kid play much and it seems like most people haven't by the wildly differing scouting reports on him. Not much recent gameplay of hime either.

Starting to like what I'm seeing in Abby, hope they leave all the kids down there to have some success and gain chemistry.

Agreed. Making me want to drive out to Abby to watch a few games.

Speaking of which... let me check ticket prices for the first time ever

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

On 1/30/2023 at 8:36 PM, HKSR said:

From what I've seen of him and what I've read, he's a solid 200ft 2-way centre with a scoring touch.  TBH, wouldn't surprise me one bit if he becomes a 50 to 60 point, 2-way 2C.  Sound familiar?  

50-60 would surprise me, but not a lot. He reminds me of players like Chris Tierney and Casey Cizikas. Probably a little more skill than those guys, but they're possession-first players. People have been talking about his two-way game, and while he's fine in his own zone, both his offensive and defensive game are focused in the offensive zone. The opponent can't score when they can't get out of their zone, and that's what Raty's good at - he's skilled enough to skate around on the perimeter and he's big enough to grind it out in the corners a bit. His possession numbers are always going to be excellent, but as far as actually attacking the inside and creating chances, we'll see where it goes. My expectation down the road is he could be a 2C and maybe put up 50 points on lesser teams if he's needed to play an offensive role, but on a good team would be best slotted as a 3C and put up more like 30-40.

I guess the big thing he has over the other players I mentioned is he's actually pretty good carrying the puck in transition too. He's got some layers to his game. I wasn't his biggest fan in his draft year because I thought he was over-rated, but now that he's a 52nd overall pick and the hype has come down and we can just take him for what he is, I actually like the player.

Edited by HighOnHockey
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Surprised to see him play some NHL games this year and quite well too (surprisingly good on the faceoffs). I hope we don't keep rushing him in and back and forth from Abbortsford. Let him play on their top line or 2nd line there for the rest of the year.

I think he'll be in the NHL next year for better or for worse, we just don't have a decent 3C option anymore and he'll probably come into training camp better than everyone we have.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

7 hours ago, HighOnHockey said:

50-60 would surprise me, but not a lot. He reminds me of players like Chris Tierney and Casey Cizikas. Probably a little more skill than those guys, but they're possession-first players. People have been talking about his two-way game, and while he's fine in his own zone, both his offensive and defensive game are focused in the offensive zone. The opponent can't score when they can't get out of their zone, and that's what Raty's good at - he's skilled enough to skate around on the perimeter and he's big enough to grind it out in the corners a bit. His possession numbers are always going to be excellent, but as far as actually attacking the inside and creating chances, we'll see where it goes. My expectation down the road is he could be a 2C and maybe put up 50 points on lesser teams if he's needed to play an offensive role, but on a good team would be best slotted as a 3C and put up more like 30-40.

I guess the big thing he has over the other players I mentioned is he's actually pretty good carrying the puck in transition too. He's got some layers to his game. I wasn't his biggest fan in his draft year because I thought he was over-rated, but now that he's a 52nd overall pick and the hype has come down and we can just take him for what he is, I actually like the player.

I've got lots of respect for your opinions on prospects as you seem to do a ton of research and scouting on all of them.  I'm just basing my potential for Raty on how he put up 40pts in 41gms as a 19 year old in SM Liiga.  Pretty impressive IMO.

Edited by HKSR
  • Like 1

Raty, Klimovich, McDonough, Hogz & Podz, Lekkerimaki, Karlsson, Rathbone, Woo, Pettersson (D), Keeper, Wolanin and Our young Goalies all seem to be on track.  These are the guys I could think of off the top of my head along with what we will get in this years draft.  We have some great looking prospects that could make the next couple years very interesting with these young players pushing for roster spots in Vancouver.

• There it is 1

7 hours ago, HighOnHockey said:

Thanks for the analysis HOH.  Raty sounds like what teams looked for in an old time 2C.  A player to matchup against the other teams top line and able to play big minutes.  30-40 points would be fantastic for a guy in that role. 

Edited by Alflives

13 hours ago, higgyfan said:

Interesting what Scouch had to say about Raty in his draft year; which turned out to be his worst.

The following year, Rats was traded to another Liga team and put up a point a game (41-13-17-40)

The World Juniors were cancelled in '21, but the following year (19yr) he went 7gp -3-7-10pts.

So far, he has played 27 AHL games -7-8-15pts.  Similar to Podz, but 2 yrs younger.

We'll see how he finishes his AHL year in Abby

It looks like 19yr old Raty is developing into the high-end player that Scouch thought he could possibly

be.

I honestly think he will turn into another Bo Horvat for us.  Not as strong physically, but I think better defensively.

Raty has an underated release with his shot and ability to create space and plays. I see him as a goal scorer and someone who could slot in on our power play. 

Finishing off the season in Abbotsford will be good for him and if he has a good off season of training he should be able to make the team as our 3d line center next season. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dpn1 said:

Raty, Klimovich, McDonough, Hogz & Podz, Lekkerimaki, Karlsson, Rathbone, Woo, Pettersson (D), Keeper, Wolanin and Our young Goalies all seem to be on track.  These are the guys I could think of off the top of my head along with what we will get in this years draft.  We have some great looking prospects that could make the next couple years very interesting with these young players pushing for roster spots in Vancouver.

You forgot probably our best and most NHL ready prospect: Joni Jurmo.

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, dpn1 said:

That's a decent list but a lot of holes as well. 

Defensive prospect depth is suspect at best and overall lacking and Raty is the only centerman of note on the list. Noteworthy is that there are a lot of wingers who could project to a top 6-9 role at some point of their careers.

I hope the Canucks can draft some impact defenders, essentially the big minute shut down types that often seem to get overlooked because they don't have the sexy offensive numbers but nonetheless are invaluable to any team that is looking to build form the net out. Often these guys show up in the second round meaning the Canucks need more second round picks.

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Surprised to see him play some NHL games this year and quite well too (surprisingly good on the faceoffs). I hope we don't keep rushing him in and back and forth from Abbortsford. Let him play on their top line or 2nd line there for the rest of the year.

I think he'll be in the NHL next year for better or for worse, we just don't have a decent 3C option anymore and he'll probably come into training camp better than everyone we have.

I doubt he’ll be that high on the Abby roster. They have Nielsen, Dowling and Aman down the center. I wouldn’t be surprised if his development plan will look similar to Danila’s and would love to see them on the same line. Ideally, i would love to see Raty - Klimovich - Bains line in Abby to finish the season.

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

I honestly think he will turn into another Bo Horvat for us.  Not as strong physically, but I think better defensively.

I don't know about that.  At Rats age, Bo was in his 2nd year in the NHL.  The following year, Bo played

81 games with 52 points.  I think most people consider Bo to be a top level 2nd C.  Afterall, he was a 9OA pick.

Raty has more developing before he can claim the 3C spot.  He has a good skill set, great hustle and

determination.  Kind of reminds me of Podz.  I am hopeful that in a few years, Raty will be the Canucks 2C,

with a 50-60pt range and a 2-way physical game.

Here is a Scouting Report in his draft year.  Keep in mind that before his draft, he was considered one

of the best player in his age group, but fell dramatically due to a poor season in his draft year. The following

scouting report explains why he dropped so much in the draft (after being considered the 1OA prior to

the draft.

https://www.thedraftanalyst.com/2021-nhl-draft/2021-draft-profile-c-w-aatu-raty/

2 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

I don't know about that.  At Rats age, Bo was in his 2nd year in the NHL.  The following year, Bo played

81 games with 52 points.  I think most people consider Bo to be a top level 2nd C.  Afterall, he was a 9OA pick.

Raty has more developing before he can claim the 3C spot.  He has a good skill set, great hustle and

determination.  Kind of reminds me of Podz.  I am hopeful that in a few years, Raty will be the Canucks 2C,

with a 50-60pt range and a 2-way physical game.

Here is a Scouting Report in his draft year.  Keep in mind that before his draft, he was considered one

of the best player in his age group, but fell dramatically due to a poor season in his draft year. The following

scouting report explains why he dropped so much in the draft (after being considered the 1OA prior to

the draft.

https://www.thedraftanalyst.com/2021-nhl-draft/2021-draft-profile-c-w-aatu-raty/

We'll see.  His progress is shaping up to be a Horvat level player in the NHL.  A PPG season in SM-Liiga at 19yo against men is pretty darn impressive. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1