The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Red Wings trade Filip Hronek, 2023 4th-round pick to Canucks for conditional 2023 1st-round pick (NYI), 2023 2nd-round pick

4 minutes ago, sassbs said:

The more this trade is marinating in my mind the more it angers me.   No doubt he’s a great defencemen but his contract ends this year and will be a RFA.   He’ll ask for 8.   The only reason yzerman traded him to begin with 

why do we trade away our picks.   Ontop of that this guy is injured!!!!!

He has one more year on his contract after this year...

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

So your ultimate plan to win a cup is to trade Petey and Hughes for picks and prospects?  That's it?  That's the plan?   :lol:

Man, this place provides some really good entertainment for me.  I am so happy to be a part of the CDC family...   :)

your plans to keep them and keep doing what we’re doing lolololol because that’s working. Remind me what’s out position in the standings. 
hoping two players make us a cup contender not even a full top line hahahahhahaha. 
We’ll be lucky to make the playoff before EP turn 30 at this rate. 
but I’m sure he’ll stick around 

it sure is entertaining. 

6 minutes ago, sassbs said:

The more this trade is marinating in my mind the more it angers me.   No doubt he’s a great defencemen but his contract ends this year and will be a RFA.   He’ll ask for 8.   The only reason yzerman traded him to begin with 

Ends next year 

26 minutes ago, Sativika said:

Seriously never expected this at all. I didn't think they'd pull the trigger for a RD so soon. I figured in the off season at least. Anywho........... 

A Dman available at the former position we had with the Isle's pick in this years draft is a crapshoot to be sure. No consensus top rated ones anyways. In a way this feels like JB's, Clendening for Forsling trade. An unproven draft player with zero NHL experience traded for a player further along in their development in the NHL. A move meant to instantly improve a positional need. Though we all know how that one turned out, don't we. That being said.......

On the plus side I believe we supposedly got a top 4 D dude in Hronek and a much needed RD ta' boot. Yea we did have to give up our Isles 1st and our 2nd, but I'm sure it was necessary to get a RD of this caliber that also fit our age group. 

But he's injured?!?!?!?!?!?? And his cap hit is 4.5mil?!?!??!!????? Am I correct in these facts!?!?!?!??!? These are the cons at this point. It was my belief that management made acquiring cap space a priority. I guess it's a semi-priority! And yes...........I'm with those who believe that ownership has there hand in this. 

Sure. After Demmer's first game post injury, he was lights out. And of our man, Kuz missile hasn't skipped a beat. Yea. We won a couple and we're playing better hockey as of late. But there's no way we have any business playing to win. Well...we do. Any team wants to win, but to put it another way.......

With only 20 odd games left in the season, what's the point. For pity sake, let us have our rebuild. Let us tank with dignity and with NHL experienceless farm players. But I get it. If the time to get Hronek is now or never, then so be it. It's done now. WoooHooo!!!!!!!! We lost Schenn and got this guy. I presume that was part of the reasoning for it.

We still need big boys though. We'll miss Schenn's physicality for sure. 

Welcome to the food, Filip Hronek!

Go Canucks Go!

Well I'm a bit confused. On one hand your on board with the fact that he is a top 4 RHD and understand the move...

But on the other hand you take issue with the $4.5m cap hit? Did you expect to have a 4 RHD on a cheaper contract?

We were never going to get one for free, so to me at $4.5m that's a lot better cap management than buy a ufa RHD this summer for $7m+.

I agree the injury is a bit of a concern. But really we don't need his services right away, so I'm not too worried about it.

Really management saw an opportunity to grad a 4 RHD, probably the first realistic opportunity they've had since taking over, and they pulled the trigger 

I think this is a solid move. 

16 minutes ago, combover said:

So many people worried about two players.lololololololololololol

but but ep and hughes lolololololol

wouldnt be fair to the sedin… 

huh sounds like a decade ago refool the refools. 

Yes and when did a Stanley cup contender ever win with just two players? This team doesn't have enough prospects to fill holes when someone has an  injury. We get a significant injury who is going to come up and fill those holes? The great teams have those options. We just can't stand having multiple picks. We just have to get rid of them in a win now mode which has shown to be a complete failure. 

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82

Wow! Lotsa' negativity on this trade. This one has its naysayers and yaysayers. That's how it is. Some do, some don't....potato, potaato......tomato, tomaato. Let's call the whole thing off!

Now that I've quickly read through some more responses, it seems Hronek's injury pretty much makes him a non factor the rest of the season. That's good and bad. Good for the tank, bad for Huggy. 

If this guy is what he's projected to be for our team, then this be a good move to be sure. But as I mentioned before, we need more physicality at the back, as well as the forwards.

Someone in here mentioned of Huggy being the star Dman we've never had ever. That during the Smyle days, Linden days, Naslund days, and the Sedin days, we've not ever had a Dman of this caliber in any of those era teams.  I believe that to be true. But I will tell ya', those teams had more size, grit and physicality than the present team. It bares repeating..........

.......WE NEED MORE SIZE!

8 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

It’s a pipe dream but maybe we get out of Myers and it’s more like:

Hughes-Bear

Pettersson-Hronek

OEL-Livingstone

that might actually be half decent.  Management has a ton of work to do, though. 

Not awful, but ya still needs work.

If we re-sign Schenn, I probably think it’s time to move on from Baer. I think he’s a bottom 2 defenceman, likeable guy though.

• Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

Hard to really say with all the extras thrown into these deals but there are a number of defenceman traded today for reasonably similar costs that I like better than Hronek. 
Maybe once see him play more and see if he compliments Hughes I may change mind. 
‘Hard to be dissatisfied because this is what expected from the management group. No money off the wing and shortcut trades. 
Hope Livingston wants to come here and helps improve the RHD depth.  
Two high pics and we haven’t even payed our way out of any of the bad contracts yet. The cost of rushing is the system and it just payed heavily with more to come. 

Edited by DrJockitch

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

So your ultimate plan to win a cup is to trade Petey and Hughes for picks and prospects?  That's it?  That's the plan?   :lol:

Man, this place provides some really good entertainment for me.  I am so happy to be a part of the CDC family...   :)

They want to gut our team to accumulate all these magic beans.  Really can't understand all the negativity in here complaining about a mid to late teen first and a high second.  Its not like Hronek is in his late 20's, he's practically in the same age group as Petey and Quinn who have now entered their prime years.  Most of these picks which turn in to prospects are not likely to make an impact for 3 to 4 years.  And don't forget, Bo was a free Agent who could have walked for nothing.  

• There it is 1

2 minutes ago, combover said:

your plans to keep them and keep doing what we’re doing lolololol because that’s working. Remind me what’s out position in the standings. 
hoping two players make us a cup contender not even a full top line hahahahhahaha. 
We’ll be lucky to make the playoff before EP turn 30 at this rate. 
but I’m sure he’ll stick around 

it sure is entertaining. 

We have a better shot at winning the cup if we keep Petey and Hughes and try and go for it in the next 3-4 years then if we tear it all down, trade Petey and Hughes and watch and wait on a full 10 year rebuild...

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, luckylager said:

So you're a fan of this move or do you find the directionless flailing appealing?

I don’t think it’s directionless at all. I think it’s calculated but uneasy for fans because they just don’t trust ANYONE to run this team effectively. I think most ppl bitch about this roster while totally taking for granted what we have as a core now, how f**king fortunate we are to have the two guys we have lead in their positions at such a young age.

You have no choice but to build on that. 
Every GM and their dog would love to have our core as their base canvas. PAJR have the experience with Crosby and Malkin and Letang to realize the importance of insulating your stars and getting from and giving them support to excel. It will happen here too.

the problem I have is the PTSD that some folks can’t seem to shake off, to a point where they can’t even process what process is being blatantly f**king spoon fed to them and then act as though it’s a criminal act to follow through on directive.

These f**king guys know how to run a club, more so than anybody we’ve had in the last few iterations. Pedigree exemplifies that. 

so, rather than continuing to be a laughing stock fanbase that thinks they know more than the people who achieved the ultimate success multiple times in this sport, I would hope that some ppl realize that there is a method to it, especially when it’s made f**king clear in every interview, and that it takes time and willing partners and patience and circumstantial opportunity to improve a club that was left in dire straits (save for our youth core) by previous regimes. 

doni like this move for Hronek? Yeah, I have to, because I don’t think he’d be available to us for this price or less any other time. I think we just jumped on a very good opportunity/asset, one that we’ve been waiting on for f**king seasons now to acquire. Some Fans need a reminder rad to how hard that has been to come by for us, and maybe be a little bit appreciative that this mgmt team is giving it a real shot at rebuilding while keeping the superstars happy and potentially this team in a medium term competitive window. That the best you can ask for as a fan, yet sooooo many ppl take it for granted. It’s f**king annoying.

• There it is 1

I see it this way the Horvat trade was to get more pieces to win now not later. 

We get three players that can play now. 

We are younger and better. 

We needed help in many spots and so far all trades addressed this moving forward.  

Who knows what the draft and summer holds but I bet more will be done and we can ice a more rounded group to move forward and make the playoffs in the near future.

10 minutes ago, sassbs said:

No it doesnt, he has another year at $4.4m

I don't know. As much as he's a RHD who fits the age group, I expected we'd look to solidify the defensive side rather than try to add another offensive defenceman. More than that, I thought we'd use our surplus of wingers to do it.  Don't hate it, but was really looking forward to the extra picks in this draft, especially the two 1sts.

14 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Long enough for us to finish in the bottom 3-4 I think...

Unless we deliberately lose we are not going to drop that far with the run home, and the quality of the forward group we have. 

If Filip keeps developing, we somehow get at least one, maybe 2 top 4 shutdown D, Demko gets healthy and regains his good form, then we can talk about not just playoffs, but going deep in them.

• There it is 1

Just now, RWJC said:

I don’t think it’s directionless at all. I think it’s calculated but uneasy for fans because they just don’t trust ANYONE to run this team effectively. I think most ppl bitch about this roster while totally taking for granted what we have as a core now, how f**king fortunate we are to have the two guys we have lead in their positions at such a young age.

You have no choice but to build on that. 
Every GM and their dog would love to have our core as their base canvas. PAJR have the experience with Crosby and Malkin and Letang to realize the importance of insulating your stars and getting from and giving them support to excel. It will happen here too.

the problem I have is the PTSD that some folks can’t seem to shake off, to a point where they can’t even process what process is being blatantly f**king spoon fed to them and then act as though it’s a criminal act to follow through on directive.

These f**king guys know how to run a club, more so than anybody we’ve had in the last few iterations. Pedigree exemplifies that. 

so, rather than continuing to be a laughing stock fanbase that thinks they know more than the people who achieved the ultimate success multiple times in this sport, I would hope that some ppl realize that there is a method to it, especially when it’s made f**king clear in every interview, and that it takes time and willing partners and patience and circumstantial opportunity to improve a club that was left in dire straits (save for our youth core) by previous regimes. 

doni like this move for Hronek? Yeah, I have to, because I don’t think he’d be available to us for this price or less any other time. I think we just jumped on a very good opportunity/asset, one that we’ve been waiting on for f**king seasons now to acquire. Some Fans need a reminder rad to how hard that has been to come by for us, and maybe be a little bit appreciative that this mgmt team is giving it a real shot at rebuilding while keeping the superstars happy and potentially this team in a medium term competitive window. That the best you can ask for as a fan, yet sooooo many ppl take it for granted. It’s f**king annoying.

Yeah I don't know where these conclusions of "directionless" are coming from. The re-tool was pretty clear when Rutherford said in a press conference a few months ago that they'd be targeting players in their early-mid 20s. 

They want players in the same age group as Hughes and Petey. 

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1