The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hunter Brzustewicz | D

If you could steal one trait from an active NHLer, what would it be?

Hunter Brzustewicz, D, Kitchener Rangers (OHL): Watching these playoffs, Radko Gudas. He's just been a prick. That's a big one for me. Just watching him and learning and seeing his mentality has opened my eyes.

What would you do if you weren't playing hockey?

Brzustewicz: I'd want to be in something with sports. A sports analyst. My favorite is Stephen A. Smith. I'd like to be him, talking about basketball and football.

If you were a goalie, what would you paint on your mask?

Brzustewicz: Maybe my three favorite athletes: Cristiano Ronaldo, Tom Brady, and Kevin Durant.

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/2665087

• Cheers 1

17 hours ago, Warhippy said:

To my knowledge a lot of the reason he fell was due to lack of games as well as the fact the rangers were one of the most mediocre teams in the OHL to make the playoffs.  

Which illustrates that it's not just a players talent but the quality of the team/ teammates they are playing on/ playing with. 

As we have discussed in the draft thread imagine if Danielson had the same quality of linemates Benson had.

18 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

So, are we only drafting RHD now?  <_<

Hard to acquire and seemingly hold their value if it comes down to a trade. I don’t see an issue. 

Hronek

Willander

Brzutewicz

Woo

Myers ( likely gone soon)

juulsen

Burroughs

Bear

McWard

Celebrini

pretty decent depth. If even one of these picks turns out as a top 4 you’re looking pretty good. 

• Cheers 3

55 minutes ago, Dixon Ward said:

Watching these highlights and listening to what people say about him, why the heck was he still around in the 3rd? He looks fantastic 

It was just such a great deep draft! But I thought he was a second round lock for sure

I think it's because of his interview. Him talking about how he wants to become a sports broadcaster like Stephen Adams and how he's interested in basketball and football as well as other sports. His initial comment in this interview that he needs to be more focused on his mentality towards hockey probably scared away teams. Kinda seems like he's not fully invested. Still, with that talent, clearly he's putting in effort. I'm excited.

Edited by Psycho_Path

I haven't been to any Rangers games in years.Even though I live in Kitchener.I have a hard time supporting them because of their name. But if Hunter is still on their team next year I think I will give it a go and support this young man.Maybe at least go to the teddy bear toss again. 

2 hours ago, nopROBlemo said:

I haven't been to any Rangers games in years.Even though I live in Kitchener.I have a hard time supporting them because of their name. But if Hunter is still on their team next year I think I will give it a go and support this young man.Maybe at least go to the teddy bear toss again. 

You should go and tell us how he's doing. 

It's a pain in the ass to find OHL streams. 

We will also have Kirill Kudryatsev playing for Soo Greyhounds, so two birds with one stone! 

On 6/30/2023 at 3:55 AM, Ilunga said:

Which illustrates that it's not just a players talent but the quality of the team/ teammates they are playing on/ playing with. 

As we have discussed in the draft thread imagine if Danielson had the same quality of linemates Benson had.

Yeah but this isn't a great argument considering scouts would have already had a detailed book on him from his year with the NTDP U18 team. But he kind of had the opposite problem there in that the team was too good, as he was pretty solidly stuck behind Lane Hutson and Seamus Casey for offensive and powerplay opportunities.

I've been keeping my mouth shut about this pick because of course it's a fine pick and a lot of sources ranked him earlier, but I always found him somewhat bland, and there were other players I would have preferred. Good to read on here he's trying to model his game after Radko Gudas, because I'm not convinced he makes it on offensive skill and upside alone. There is a decent frame there though and some solid combine numbers, so I'm hopeful he can develop into a solid two-way defenseman.

By the way, everyone talking about Celebrini being older brother to Macklin, but Brzustewicz' younger brother Henry looks like a bit of a prodigy as well, and could go very early in 2025.

Edited by HighOnHockey
  • Cheers 1

Yeah but this isn't a great argument considering scouts would have already had a detailed book on him from his year with the NTDP U18 team. But he kind of had the opposite problem there in that the team was too good, as he was pretty solidly stuck behind Lane Hutson and Seamus Casey for offensive and powerplay opportunities

Hutson, a 2022 2nd round pick was compared to Cale Makar by Reinbacker at the Mtl prospects camp

Edited by Fred65

On 7/5/2023 at 11:47 AM, Fred65 said:

Hutson, a 2022 2nd round pick was compared to Cale Makar by Reinbacker at the Mtl prospects camp

When was the last time there was a 5’8 defenseman in the NHL though. He’s going to need to be sheltered a lot