The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Jared McCann, 2nd-round pick, 4th-round pick to Panthers for Erik Gudbranson, 5th-round pick

8 hours ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

I got so excited after watching this! Can't wait for him to hammer some guys once he gets his Canucks jersey on!

He puts a sense of power  in the #44..  again ;) . .  Miss those days of Tom Larschide calling Bertuzzi's games.

19 hours ago, terrible.dee said:

The denial and delusion is unbelievable. 

3 quarters for a dollar! NO Two! NO we ROBBED FLA!!

Is that why every hockey writer not on the Canucks payroll is saying we were violated on this deal?

Where are all the people who were all over the Flames prior to their starting on what has become one of the best rebuilds I have ever seen?

Got news folks, WE ARE THE FLAMES OF A FEW YEARS BACK, that wouldn't move on from Iginla, Kipper, Regier and Phanuef and the whole crew that took them to the '04 final. Patching leaks on the Titanic while pretending they were only a few moves away from finishing what they started in '04.

Our owner does not want or is not able to withstand the financial pressures of a rebuild, he has DEMANDED that this team earn playoff revenue. Gudbranson Erikkson these acquisitions make ZERO sense. 

Ya dat sure werked for de Coilerz! You say? That is the exception, not the rule. This years cup champ Penguins were built the EXACT same way as the Oilers, last years champion Hawks were built EXACTLY the same way as the Oilers, I could go on but you get the point.

We are treading water to stay a float, but if we don't stop thrashing our arms we can't grab the life preserver. Gudbranson is just more dead weight dragging us to the bottom.

Send the Sedins the Vegas for their first rounder. Send Edler to the minors until he accepts whatever trade can be made. Send Hanson and Sutter to a playoff team at the deadline,  Tanev's worth will never be higher, trade him NOW and whatever else is necessary to acquire the possibility of an offensive center. Y'know, do what Burke would have done, 

Good thing there's people like you around to use my valuable minus on. Have fun living up to your name. Terrible.

22 hours ago, SpennyCanuck said:

I feel like the only difference is that Calgary has done a better job drafting over the last 10 years than Vancouver has. Well at least a better hit rate than Vancouver has. 

That has definitely helped the rebuild for them.  

Benning has shown that he can find talent in the draft, so hopefully they can build from the drafts and find those late round picks that can make a difference. 

The difference is that CGY was a few spots ahead of Van in those drafts.. The Nucks had to trade Schneider for Horvat or else our only 1st round pick that year would have been Shinkaruk, the flames had the opportunity to take Monahan. The flames were sitting nice in 2014 having Sam Bennet fall to them after Reinhart, Ekblad an Draisatl were chosen whereas the Canucks found themselves picking through the second tier of talent choosing between Virtanen, Ritchie, Nylandet, and ehlers. Those two spots make a big difference. It will be interesting to see who wins the tkatchuk/juolevi picks from this year. 

All in all I would say the Nucks and Flames are pretty close in terms of rebuilding, which is pretty impressive given Cancouvers relative success over the last ten years. CGY has more young talent in the NHL but The Nucks have more waiting in the wings with Boeser, Demko etc. I will also add that I think the Canucks have more of a complete team starting to assemble (sutter, Bo, Hutton, and Tryamkin shows promise) compared to the flames prospect pipeline. The Flames have the edge in top-end talent though.

1 hour ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

The difference is that CGY was a few spots ahead of Van in those drafts.. The Nucks had to trade Schneider for Horvat or else our only 1st round pick that year would have been Shinkaruk, the flames had the opportunity to take Monahan. The flames were sitting nice in 2014 having Sam Bennet fall to them after McDavid, Eichel, an Draisatl were chosen whereas the Canucks found themselves picking through the second (or third) tier of talent choosing between Virtanen, Ritchie, Nylandet, ehlers, hanifin (I think?). Those two spots make a big difference. It will be interesting to see who wins the tkatchuk/juolevi picks from this year. 

All le in all I would say the Nucks and Flames are pretty close in terms of rebuilding. CGY has more young talent in the NHL but The Nucks have more waiting in the wings with Boeser, Demko etc. I will also add that I think the Canucks have more of a complete team starting to assemble compared to the flames prospect pipeline. The Flames have the edge in top-end talent though.

Those guys were in the 2015 Draft. I'm guessing that you're talking about Ekblad and Reinhart?

10 hours ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

The difference is that CGY was a few spots ahead of Van in those drafts.. The Nucks had to trade Schneider for Horvat or else our only 1st round pick that year would have been Shinkaruk, the flames had the opportunity to take Monahan. The flames were sitting nice in 2014 having Sam Bennet fall to them after Reinhart, Ekblad an Draisatl were chosen whereas the Canucks found themselves picking through the second tier of talent choosing between Virtanen, Ritchie, Nylandet, and ehlers. Those two spots make a big difference. It will be interesting to see who wins the tkatchuk/juolevi picks from this year. 

All in all I would say the Nucks and Flames are pretty close in terms of rebuilding, which is pretty impressive given Cancouvers relative success over the last ten years. CGY has more young talent in the NHL but The Nucks have more waiting in the wings with Boeser, Demko etc. I will also add that I think the Canucks have more of a complete team starting to assemble (sutter, Bo, Hutton, and Tryamkin shows promise) compared to the flames prospect pipeline. The Flames have the edge in top-end talent though.

Given the situation Buffalo's situation of Eichel, Reinhart and O'Rielly all in Center, we may be able to acquire Reinhart via a trade if more than one of our young defenceman impressed in the upcoming couple of seasons, I wouldn't mind dangling one of them (other than Juolevi) to Buffalo for Reinhart to have a Reinhart and Horvat 1 and 2 punch

On 21/07/2016 at 5:22 PM, ruilin96 said:

Given the situation Buffalo's situation of Eichel, Reinhart and O'Rielly all in Center, we may be able to acquire Reinhart via a trade if more than one of our young defenceman impressed in the upcoming couple of seasons, I wouldn't mind dangling one of them (other than Juolevi) to Buffalo for Reinhart to have a Reinhart and Horvat 1 and 2 punch

I could see it potentially happening from how high Benning regarded Reinhart at the draft, but I don't know what pieces would have to go the other way. The only player I could see and could swallow right now would be Tanev, but I don't know if it gets it done. Edler would be amazing but I doubt he waives and he's too old for what buffalo's looking for

• 2 weeks later...

My theory on JB's asset management... Everyone knocks him for this but I think he pulled off a pretty sneaky aquisition in Gudbranson.  I believe he saw first hand how low a prospects trade value can be when playing in the minors. Take Shinkaruk for example, he shopped him for a year before settling on a guaranteed 3-4th liner with upside in exchange. I think Jim Benning planned to play McCann all season to raise his trade value. He was able to parlay McCann into a 6"5 right shot top 4 physical Dman that is captain material. You could argue Shink and McCann are very similar players but look what McCann landed us compared to Shink. All because he was played in the show instead of junior then the minors. He changed the perception of an identical type prospect. Slow clap for JB.

On 20/07/2016 at 1:55 PM, Where'd Luongo? said:

I got so excited after watching this! Can't wait for him to hammer some guys once he gets his Canucks jersey on!

With the extinction of the enforcer, guys like Gud are more effective than ever before.  He is one intense dude out there........some serious crazy eyes on his fights and he throws some serious bombs 

11 minutes ago, Progressive Hockey said:

My theory on JB's asset management... Everyone knocks him for this but I think he pulled off a pretty sneaky aquisition in Gudbranson.  I believe he saw first hand how low a prospects trade value can be when playing in the minors. Take Shinkaruk for example, he shopped him for a year before settling on a guaranteed 3-4th liner with upside in exchange. I think Jim Benning planned to play McCann all season to raise his trade value. He was able to parlay McCann into a 6"5 right shot top 4 physical Dman that is captain material. You could argue Shink and McCann are very similar players but look what McCann landed us compared to Shink. All because he was played in the show instead of junior then the minors. He changed the perception of an identical type prospect. Slow clap for JB.

It's an interesting perspective. If Shinky had made the team under Torts he would have had big value as well. Didn't happen though and we ended up losing value on him overall. I do think it would have made more sense to play Shinkaruk in the NHL for a little bit before trading him though

31 minutes ago, Derp... said:

It's an interesting perspective. If Shinky had made the team under Torts he would have had big value as well. Didn't happen though and we ended up losing value on him overall. I do think it would have made more sense to play Shinkaruk in the NHL for a little bit before trading him though

Especially with his skating style. He has that amazing lateral foot to foot movement. The only guys I've seen that skate that style at high speed are Crosby and Hall. I'm sure there's more but it's definitely rare and if the hands develop it can be deceiving for opposing defenseman.

3 minutes ago, Johnny Torts said:

no one is saying that JB turned a whiny Kesler into a Brandon Sutter and a top 4 BIG D in Gudbranson, because he is the worst gm in the league right? 

And if we get Kane and all we give up is Sbisa and something else

Kesler for Sutter, Kane, and Gudbranson. 

8 hours ago, Pears said:

And if we get Kane and all we give up is Sbisa and something else

Kesler for Sutter, Kane, and Gudbranson. 

Man...I think the Kesler math needs to end. Maybe we can just agree that we made a solid trade given the circumstances and move on.

1 hour ago, VIC_CITY said:

Man...I think the Kesler math needs to end. Maybe we can just agree that we made a solid trade given the circumstances and move on.

Given what Chia got for Hall, I think the Kesler math only continues to look better and JB should be celebrated for what he's pulled off.

1 minute ago, SamJamIam said:

Given what Chia got for Hall, I think the Kesler math only continues to look better and JB should be celebrated for what he's pulled off.

Isn't Chirelli the guy who traded Seguin for Ericksson?  Now he does Hall for Larsson.  JB turned Kesler into three good pieces.  Yup, excellent job by JB. 

Archived