The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Tyler Myers to Vancouver

Just now, Honky Cat said:

Not really assuming anything, but in his time here I couldn't grasp if he was a 2nd pairing or 3rd?..His deployment while here was erratic.

It was his rookie year. He was going to be erratic. I don't really think it makes sense to base it on that when he's had time to develop in the KHL.

That being said, the KHL is obviously a different league than here. We simply won't know where he fits until he comes over if he comes over. Maybe he's a 3rd liner. Maybe he transitions better the 2nd time and becomes top 4. It would be a fresh slate for him really if you think about it so I don't really think it's fair to base his previous experience (under WD on top of that) with what he would be like moving forward.

3 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

Not really assuming anything, but in his time here I couldn't grasp if he was a 2nd pairing or 3rd?..His deployment while here was erratic.

I think what you saw was a player whose minutes were limited by his conditioning.  He struggled with longer shifts - was visibly gassed at times - and wasn't really ready in that sense for the larger minutes he wanted.  But aside from that, there were no real limits to what he could be capable of.  The '2nd'/'3rd' pairing thing becomes relatively meaningless in the present day NHL.

Guys play roles - with complementary partners 5 on 5 - and depending on their special teams pp/pk minutes, it can be highly misleading to attempt to pigeon-hole a player as a 'top 4 or 3rd pairing' (some are one-way, some are two-way - some are 'top 4' offensive, some are 'top 4' defensive, some are both and some are neither - something that is more situational and role based than it is simply defined.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Doogie said:

If we sign Myers, I would try hard for Ristolainen. 

Tanev

Hutton (if resigned) or Stetcher

Conditional 2019 2nd round pick (if we give up 2019 first then pick moved to 2020) 

The third pairing would be made up of two of:

Stetcher (Trade dependant)

Hutton (Trade dependant)

Schenn (If resigned)

Joulevi 

Rafferty 

Woo (If he surprises) 

Ideally 

Edler - Ristolainen

Hughes - Myers

Jouelvi - Woo 

Myers signing would be great, adding Ristolainen to the mix would be over the top. 

Is the condition on the pick that Buffalo builds a time machine out of a Delorean? 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, aGENT said:

Rather just trade Tanev +/- for a similar prospect straight up than have to take on Zaitsev's contract. Especially with the Luongo situation.

Tanev to them for zaitsev, kapanen and a 2nd and I’d really consider it. 

At worse he’s someone to gel with Podkolzin and Tryamkin. Best case he gains some confidence and gets back to his 40 point season. If not he bolts back to Russia and his cap comes of the books. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Doogie said:

If we sign Myers, I would try hard for Ristolainen. 

Tanev

Hutton (if resigned) or Stetcher

Conditional 2020 2nd round pick (if we give up 2020 first then pick moved to 2021) 

The third pairing would be made up of two of:

Stetcher (Trade dependant)

Hutton (Trade dependant)

Schenn (If resigned)

Joulevi 

Rafferty 

Woo (If he surprises) 

Ideally 

Edler - Ristolainen

Hughes - Myers

Jouelvi - Woo 

Myers signing would be great, adding Ristolainen to the mix would be over the top. 

Buffalo wants up front scoring help if they trade Risto. They don't want our D.

43 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Buffalo wants up front scoring help if they trade Risto. They don't want our D.

I thought the Sabres had really good young forwards, who put up lots of points?  Isn’t it keeping the pucks out of their net they need to improve?  

I thought they need more maturity in their forwards, and guys who know how to play the right way defensively?  

Sutter is no where near worth Risto, but he’s the type of player the Sabers should get. 

Sutter + for Risto? 

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Benning needs to stop negotiating with Myers if the ask is too high.

Start focusing on the trade route for when/if this falls through.

I don't think they'll give up the assets required in a trade, especially if they let Hutton walk.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Honky Cat said:

Canucks would be looking for a 5 years max term on Myers, but because there will be a bidding war, (due to a lack of available UFA D's).. it will most likely be 6 x 6.5M.

I said that before. The Canucks might be bidding against themselves, think that other teams are offering him 6 million when they might not be. Either way, Myers is a top 4 defenseman on the Canucks and he's going to get paid like it. Myers makes the Canucks better, which is the bottom line for the management and ownership. The cap becomes a concern when Pettersson has to sign in 2 years. For right now, I'm on the Myers train, as long as the contract number starts with a 6 for dollar amount.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Benning needs to stop negotiating with Myers if the ask is too high.

Start focusing on the trade route for when/if this falls through.

Lolll you do know GMs around the league arent interested in our sloppy seconds... i bet you Benning has made numerous packages for the trade route excluding Horvat, Boeser , Petey , Hughes and Juolevi... GM’s want a significant peice back not sloppy seconds.

Edited by WalkWithElias40

35 minutes ago, WalkWithElias40 said:

Lolll you do know GMs around the league arent interested in our sloppy seconds... i bet you Benning has made numerous packages for the trade route excluding Horvat, Boeser , Petey , Hughes and Juolevi... GM’s want a significant peice back not sloppy seconds.

19789999.jpg

• Haha 3
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Tanev to them for zaitsev, kapanen and a 2nd and I’d really consider it. 

At worse he’s someone to gel with Podkolzin and Tryamkin. Best case he gains some confidence and gets back to his 40 point season. If not he bolts back to Russia and his cap comes of the books. 

that is an easy yes.  Tanev for Zaitsev and Kapanen alone is an easy yes.  I would even do 50% Tanev for Zaitsev and Kapanen.  But we are negotiating, I will try the 2nd round pick first hahahahha

• Upvote 1

On 6/27/2019 at 7:43 AM, Wolfgang Durst said:

If Canucks offer Myers 4/5 years at $ 5-6 mill. he would laugh at it (most likely).

On what Myers contract could look like

Sportsnet on 650: Renaud Lavoie on pending UFA Tyler Myers: “I do believe Myers will be a 7 year contract. it could be $8 million per season. $6 million might be a bit low. GM’s are looking at the cap being lower and demand for young players – could be less money spent in FA but there’s a lot of demand for defensemen.”

Others have already addressed it, but he will almost certainly NOT be getting 7x7 let alone 7x8, and if he does it won't be from the Canucks.  Of the few reports on negotiations, it's already been said the Canucks are balking at the term.  Considering 7 years is the longest they can go, they can't want more than 6 so may be wanting even less.  Thus why I said the starting point is 4-5 years.

Some radio muppets were acknowledging today that there've been no reports of Myers visiting elsewhere.  Doesn't mean no other teams are interested or that he didn't speak with others of course, but does corroborate other reports that there are not that many.  Of course, instead of seeing this as a positive for the Canucks in that there won't be a bidding war to drive up the price, they twist it to the negative to say that the Canucks are chasing after a player nobody wants.

6x6 may well be the high point, considering that's what Edler's being paid and will undoubtedly play more minutes and have a more key role than Myers.

• Upvote 1

For the Canucks, I still say 5 years at 5.9 million makes sense. Myers is not a better D man than Edler and paying him a bit less makes a lot of sense for an internal cap.

However, maybe they would go to 6 years. 

I personally hope they do not go above 6 x 5.9 million. We shall see soon.  These last days of June are ssoooooooo long lol.

• Upvote 1