The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tyler Myers l #57 l D

-DLC-

15 hours ago, LegionOfDoom said:

What’s the chances we dont protect Myers and Seattle takes him next summer? And would that be okay with you guys? I’d be very happy if that happened only if we have tryamkin coming in to fill that need 

It would mean a pretty notably downgrade to our defense unless we filled the spot somehow, but it would also mean big-time cap relief. Solving one problem causes another though and that defense without a replacement for Myers isn't close to a contending D IMO, unless we're stunned with the development of someone like Rathbone or Rafferty. Tryamkin isn't going to likely be better than a 5/6 defenseman, if even that.

18 hours ago, LegionOfDoom said:

What’s the chances we dont protect Myers and Seattle takes him next summer? And would that be okay with you guys? I’d be very happy if that happened only if we have tryamkin coming in to fill that need 

I think there is a decent chance we don’t protect him, but I don’t know that he gets picked up.

I am hoping that we use our available protection spots to pick up extra D from teams that have too many to protect.  There should be deals to be had to shore up our D.

Right now we have zero guys we really “need” to protect.  If we manage to Sign Tanev to a value deal, it will certainly be at the cost of a NMC for expansion.  Juolevi could be protected but probably isn’t a big target.  Edler can be exposed because he can just not sign there if selected as he will be a pending UFA.

If we can’t pick up other D to protect, them why not use a protection spot on Myers... but I hope we can do the above.

• Cheers 1

Thought his first game back, he looked tentative.  Did fine for the most part but had that one bad moment on the fifth goal.  

Admire his courage to comeback but doesn't quite look right but its do or die for us, so I can understand why he is trying to gut it out.  But 2-3 weeks is a bit early of a recovery for shoulder injuries.  He just wasnt as physically imposing as we saw against Minny and St Louis.

13 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Thought his first game back, he looked tentative.  Did fine for the most part but had that one bad moment on the fifth goal.  

Admire his courage to comeback but doesn't quite look right but its do or die for us, so I can understand why he is trying to gut it out.  But 2-3 weeks is a bit early of a recovery for shoulder injuries.  He just wasnt as physically imposing as we saw against Minny and St Louis.

2-3 weeks is way too early for anything other than the most minor shoulder injury.   I just can't see him being ready to step in and help the team in a series like this at this early point in his recovery.

On 8/28/2020 at 1:07 PM, LegionOfDoom said:

Not sure the chances but if Seattle takes Myers I'd be ecstatic.  Not a fan of that term on his contract.

• 2 weeks later...

I get that Myers eats minutes, and is a big guy who helps even the playing field against more physical teams. But he is just so bad in every statistical category. (Other than maybe penalty killing?) If Seattle wants him I would be happy for them to make that selection. I think there are far better ways to spend 6m.

Bring in Tryamkin for the snarl and size. He does it better for a third of the price. Just may have to spread a couple minutes around...

I was really hoping Myers would help us with  scoring a bit. I feel despite Hughes being godlike, if we aren't going to hit in our prospect pool (This is not ruled out. I'm looking at you, Rathbone) we would be better served finding a good 2a guy. 

13 minutes ago, kloubek said:

I get that Myers eats minutes, and is a big guy who helps even the playing field against more physical teams. But he is just so bad in every statistical category. (Other than maybe penalty killing?) If Seattle wants him I would be happy for them to make that selection. I think there are far better ways to spend 6m.

Bring in Tryamkin for the snarl and size. He does it better for a third of the price. Just may have to spread a couple minutes around...

I was really hoping Myers would help us with  scoring a bit. I feel despite Hughes being godlike, if we aren't going to hit in our prospect pool (This is not ruled out. I'm looking at you, Rathbone) we would be better served finding a good 2a guy. 

Myers has had a good year for the Canucks and when he got injured , we struggled a bit in the play offs, we need him!!!

The fact the we don't have to - and IMO won't - protect him in the expansion draft was a major factor in the signing. Don't think he'll be picked - if he is the cap space is worth at least as much so no problem - so the last 2 years or so on the contract might be bad but sometimes that's just the cost of doing business.

2 hours ago, kloubek said:

As much as Myers is good for us, I would be thanking my lucky stars if they took him and his $6M. We would definitely need to replace what he brings, but hopefully we could do it for less than $6M. Tryamkin is probably a far cry from Myers and I've really just moved on from him. If he wants to play here, I have no issues with it, but I'm not counting on it.

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, kloubek said:

Apparently, he's actually our best RHD :P

10 hours ago, bree2 said:

Myers has had a good year for the Canucks and when he got injured , we struggled a bit in the play offs, we need him!!!

We absolutely did struggle, and he had a decent year by his standards. But we were struggling most of the run against bigger, stronger opponents overall. If we didn't improve with him in the lineup, I'd be REALLY worried.

But besides being a physical presence and eating minutes, what does he really DO? His hits are not bone crushing despite being a huge guy. He keeps the play moving better than, say, Gudbranson but does little to drive it. His defensive ability is average. He isn't a leader, as far as I know. He doesn't fight. His possession numbers are not good. He is just.... there. And his statistical numbers back up that he just doesn't excel in any way at all.

Now, I'm not claiming he is useless. He is our most physical dman (not saying much there) and his eating minutes eases the pressure on Tanev and Edler. But is that worth 6m?

Like I said, I think Tryamkin would do a better job on the physical front. If one is not sold on Tryamkin, how about a guy like Gudas? We need a d that makes life difficult for the opposition. We need a TEAM that makes life difficult. While we hung in there as best we could, it was apparent we were physically outmatched by the Blues and absolutely outmuscled by Vegas and getting a couple wrecking balls on the team could help a lot. 

Same goes for the forward lines. If Ferland is done, we need a guy who can play like he was intended to.

I don;t think some of the comments above are true.  He does fight and a few of those tilts were good fights.  He has been an offensive upside and plays on the 2PP.  I think that a year of adjusting to a new team and a new town affected some of his production.  I think he will have a better year this coming season. B)

• Cheers 2

15 hours ago, dpn1 said:

I don;t think some of the comments above are true.  He does fight and a few of those tilts were good fights.  He has been an offensive upside and plays on the 2PP.  I think that a year of adjusting to a new team and a new town affected some of his production.  I think he will have a better year this coming season. B)

Issue is, for Myers to earn his $6M, he needs to be more consistently good in defense and put up at least 40 points as well and I think that's quite unlikely, given he hasn't be a 0.5 point-per-game guy since his rookie year (though he's come close many times). I'm probably beating a dead horse, but while I do see value in him on the team, I don't see him ever living up to his contract. As such, if an opportunity comes to free up his $6M, we'd be wise to jump on it, even though it would hurt to lose Myers and we'd definitely need to replace him somehow.

• Haha 1

On 8/28/2020 at 1:07 PM, LegionOfDoom said:

RHD is our weakest organizational position. It truly baffles me to see people especially on HF complain about his play and his contract. 

IMO there is zero doubt that he is a top 4 dman. He plays all situations and he is easily our most physical Dman. 6 million is not a lot for a player in his role, especially considering he was the best RHD UFA and barely got a raise. Its no surprise after he got hurt our D struggled. A top 4 of Tanev and Stech is not good and given what us poor fans had to endure last season I am grateful to have him here. 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Issue is, for Myers to earn his $6M, he needs to be more consistently good in defense and put up at least 40 points as well and I think that's quite unlikely, given he hasn't be a 0.5 point-per-game guy since his rookie year (though he's come close many times). I'm probably beating a dead horse, but while I do see value in him on the team, I don't see him ever living up to his contract. As such, if an opportunity comes to free up his $6M, we'd be wise to jump on it, even though it would hurt to lose Myers and we'd definitely need to replace him somehow.

It’s not all about points for contract worth.

Myers gives us a net clearing presence which we don’t have anywhere else, he is reasonable on the outlet with passing or puck carrying, he is responsible in his own zone and makes smart decisions. 

Considering trading for D is hard and UFA D are expensive 6m is probably under market value for him. You can not compare a UFA contract to an internal cap structure based on drafted player contracts for that team but against market value, Myers is according to the market is good value for 6m. 

if we lose Myers as seen in this playoffs we struggle and have to play a lot more defensively as a team causing the offensive forwards to generate less chances as they have to do more D work. Then little things he does and brings to the team are well worth his contract and unless we are replacing him with someone similar (which would probably cost more than him) then it’s a step back. We need more players like Myers not less 

• Cheers 3

• 5 weeks later...

I'm excited to see Myers with Hughes on a regular basis.  I think he will really benefit in playing more in the ozone and might to start to see more of his puck moving ability and big shot. 

When he was relegated to playing with Edler or Fantenberg, he seemed to play too safe almost to a fault.  Hughes will make him open up and play more freely in the ozone.

• Thanks 1

On 10/15/2020 at 8:50 PM, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

I'm excited to see Myers with Hughes on a regular basis.  I think he will really benefit in playing more in the ozone and might to start to see more of his puck moving ability and big shot. 

When he was relegated to playing with Edler or Fantenberg, he seemed to play too safe almost to a fault.  Hughes will make him open up and play more freely in the ozone.

I believe Myers is the one guy on the roster who really has to have a great next season.

His first one was very blah for him.

While 21 pants keeps him out of the LE category, it's still not where he needs to be, which is well over the 30 pnt mark.

Schmidt looks like he'll slot in with Hughes, both are mobile and Nate's the better shutdown guy. I think that leaves Myers with Edler which gives us a pretty decent shutdown 2nd pairing. I wonder if Myers and Edler playing with each other will result in one of them gambling a bit and playing a bit more offensively. 

If we can get 50+ pts from Hughes, 30-40 from Schmidt and then a combined 50pts from Edler and Myers, I'd be happy. Myers might really get a chance to jump up in the rush playing with a safer, slower Edler.