The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

Don't care about past statements or feelings.

Jakes evolving like most hoped he would.  That's a net benefit to the team as a whole.

Glad he's doing so well.

If we want angst we can go read about how Juolevi is still never going to be anything

• Cheers 1

I believed in JV but you can't fault people for saying he had no hockey iq, the kid used to look at the bench constantly as if he was lost.  His confidence was probably shot at the time as well.  That's all in the past now and I think we call all agree he's come a long way and a person that doesn't get enough credit for that is Travis Green(you know that guy a few people wanted canned).  There is no player that Travis Green has worked more with than JV both here and in Utica.

Edited by Tre Mac
  • Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

This is what we used to think was a good prospect pool...

:sick:

Haha, I absolutely hated the Jensen and Gaunce picks, sometimes you just know.  Dane effin Fox, though he was a found wallet so no lost.  That Jensen pick I'll never get, his numbers in Jr. weren't even that good.  

40 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Haha, I absolutely hated the Jensen and Gaunce picks, sometimes you just know.  Dane effin Fox, though he was a found wallet so no lost.  That Jensen pick I'll never get, his numbers in Jr. weren't even that good.  

He was a ppg player in his draft year. it was a 29th overall pick... that's pretty much the kind of player you get in that slot. none of the forwards who were chosen after him had stats that were any better lol. except for maybe ty rattie, who currently plays in the khl. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 6/30/2014 at 8:20 PM, Drouin said:

Jensen plays RW

Shinkaruk - Horvat - Kassian

Virtanen - McCann - Jensen

Gaunce - Cassels - Vey

That looks much better.

On 7/1/2014 at 12:32 AM, Derp... said:

That third line looks beastly. 

Adding Virtanen and McCann really moved filled out our prospect pool for forwards.

Our center depth is pretty elite for our prospects right now.

4th line could be

Kenins LaBate Grenier

at some point.

On 7/1/2014 at 3:38 AM, Mr.53 said:

Stalked. Among the best etc. I totally agree with him.

Horvat, McCann, Gaunce, Cassels, Fox, and Vey. That is actually a really deep squad at center. Aside from a obvious number 1 center (which is pretty hard to find) this is super solid. I for one thing, one of these guys can probably turn into a number 1 center anyway. It's a matter of numbers. Chances are, at least one of these guys should underachieve, and at least one of these guys should overachieve.

I know hindsight is 20/20 but our 2014 prospect pool sucked. Gaunce, Cassels, Fox and Vey were consider 'elite' depth at Centre. 

Our roster looking ahead (this was in 2014, so lets assume this roster was meant to be in place for 2016) was:

Shinkaruk - Horvat - Kassian

Virtanen - McCann - Jensen

Gaunce - Cassels - Vey

Kenins - LaBate - Grenier

That hurts. Only 4 current NHLers. Wow. and its funny that 3 members of our elite centre depth were all on the projected (beastly) third line. So much for depth at centre.

1 hour ago, Tre Mac said:

Jensen is lighting it up in the KHL.  He could just be a case of a late bloomer.  I mean... Kassian only finally arrived as a true NHLer last season... which is still a year older than Jensen now.  

As for Gaunce... I've always been a supporter of his.  He plays the game right, he got size, he's a strong 2-way player, he seemed to be able to elevate his game in the post-season... the type of player most team would like to have.  Just weird that his AHL play didn't translate to the NHL.  Perhaps just the NHL is a tad too quick for him... the AHL is loaded with such players.  Retroactively looking back... 2012 wasn't really a strong draft.  

12 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Seriously? lol

You mean like all the KHL leaders that have come over and busted so hard they left North America in about 3 weeks??

:lol:

I didn't say he's a lock-in NHLer, just maybe he's finally figuring out how to be a true professional player.  When you put things into perspective... he's only 26.  

Kassian at age 26 was just a glorfied AHLer.  

I'm really hoping Jake's time on the first line teaches him how to use his physicality. In junior and in his first few NHL games he was trying to hard to go out, hit guys and play through them, whereas now he's forced to play a skilled game on our top line. I hope he can learn something from Miller about how to play hard and physically along the boards, and win puck battles instead of just run guys. He's evolving as a player and if we can get him to evolve into a J.T Miller copy I think we can be happy. Currently on pace for around 50 points is great but hopefully it's not the limit.

3 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I'm really hoping Jake's time on the first line teaches him how to use his physicality. In junior and in his first few NHL games he was trying to hard to go out, hit guys and play through them, whereas now he's forced to play a skilled game on our top line. I hope he can learn something from Miller about how to play hard and physically along the boards, and win puck battles instead of just run guys. He's evolving as a player and if we can get him to evolve into a J.T Miller copy I think we can be happy. Currently on pace for around 50 points is great but hopefully it's not the limit.

FWIW, they were talking about this on the radio the other day and apparently Jake's soaking up everything he can from JT9 like large, puppy shaped sponge.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, aGENT said:

FWIW, they were talking about this on the radio the other day and apparently Jake's soaking up everything he can from JT9 like large, puppy shaped sponge.

well he wasn't great in the San Jose game on the 1st line. I saw him floating and not finishing his checks. he did score a goal ,but that was on the pp2

• Cheers 1

Jake has been developing nicely lately and this year is playing very well.

Look at the company near him in terms of points:

dubas.PNG.c2be3394b3abddac7e04a00e60180d38.PNG

Some media are saying Ottawa could get a 1st round pick for Pageau, and Jake is getting as many points as he is. Likewise, people are saying Kreider will get a big haul for the Rags if he gets traded as a UFA. Yet once again Jake is doing just as well as Kreider is.

I love Jake and hope he continues to develop. I hope he earns his keep on the top line and starts to play hard along the wall like JT Miller does.