The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

1 hour ago, Provost said:

I have been on the Tryamkin bandwagon for a long time.  This is the first time I say we don't want to sign him now even if by some chance the NHL doesn't restrict RFAs signed after Dec 1st (or whatever equivalent date in the new schedule).
He currently isn't eligible to be selected in expansion and doesn't take up an protection slot.  If he signs for even the last part of this season he will get exposed for expansion.

We are in an amazing spot to completely re-tool our defence during expansion because we virtually have no one we need to protect.  We could just protect Schmidt, and pick up two players in trade for cheap that another team would risk losing for nothing to expansion.  It is pretty likely there would be players available who would be upgrades on Myers and Juolevi if they were exposed (and if Seattle actually picked them up).

My biased view of Tryamkin is that he is not that talented outside his size as well as his commensurate speed for his size. Rathbone and Juolevi seen to have higher hockey IQ as well as better vision than Tryamkin. Rathbone is more mobile and his shot is decent. I think Tryamkin's ceiling is something like Jamie Oleksiak. Not the most talented nor the best defensively, but can play tough minutes to complement a more skilled D partner. However, I remain doubtful regarding his commitment to learn English and build a new life in North America. I just don't know him that well. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Maddogy said:

My biased view of Tryamkin is that he is not that talented outside his size as well as his commensurate speed for his size. Rathbone and Juolevi seen to have higher hockey IQ as well as better vision than Tryamkin. Rathbone is more mobile and his shot is decent. I think Tryamkin's ceiling is something like Jamie Oleksiak. Not the most talented nor the best defensively, but can play tough minutes to complement a more skilled D partner. However, I remain doubtful regarding his commitment to learn English and build a new life in North America. I just don't know him that well. 

I'm just fine with that. I'll happily take a mammoth, 3rd pairing, hard minutes guy when he finally arrives back here next year. We don't need him to be Chara. We have lots of skill coming elsewhere in our D prospects (or already here with Hughes).

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Maddogy said:

Another good comparable is the other giant Russian Nikita which is Zadorov. Someone's who's bread and butter is his physical play.

On 12/8/2020 at 9:38 AM, stawns said:

The rest of the world isn't dealing with 3000+ deaths per day........and rising.  They'll likely hit 5000 by the end of the month and higher once the Christmas surge kicks in.  I don't see the NHL happening this year, unless they an abbreviated re season bubble in Canada, followed by a playoff.

I think you underestimate how badly Europe is doing: https://www.upi.com/Top_News/World-News/2020/12/06/Europe-leads-continents-in-COVID-cases-deaths-per-capita-infections-pass-67M/4701607264618/

10 hours ago, Provost said:

Yep... pretty much this.  I don't need him to be a top pairing guy to be happy with him.  A high end 3rd pairing D that brings something unique, and can play occasionally up the lineup would be just fine for our team.  Really, I just see the value of having a guy with that toolkit during a playoff series.  He is skilled enough to play (if he can keep up with how much faster the NHL is since he played last), and over a few games leaning on opposing forwards it could be a huge advantage for us.  You saw him knock players out of games hurt almost offhandedly just out of board battles. 

Thrilled that Try is playing under a NHL coach. I think your take is spot on. I see the future Canuck d-core as a fast transition group. We will have to see how well Tryamkin will do in that type of game. We also know that CUP play often goes physical and Try could be a solid addition in that department.

• Cheers 3

5 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Thrilled that Try is playing under a NHL coach. I think your take is spot on. I see the future Canuck d-core as a fast transition group. We will have to see how well Tryamkin will do in that type of game. We also know that CUP play often goes physical and Try could be a solid addition in that department.

Sure as hell wouldn't see Marchasshole running around like he did.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Provost said:

(if he can keep up with how much faster the NHL is since he played last)

The NHL is getting faster and faster.

The KHL has not, and is in danger of looking like rec hockey at times.

I love Tryamkin and don't want anything like the expansion draft to delay his return, but I understand giving it some consideration.

There is still a lot of water to flow under the bridge before the ED, so I would rather JB&Co make other changes to protect key players.

4 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

I fail to see why Tryamkin can't come back this year, "IF" available

Defense Protection list

Schmidt

Tryamkin

Juolevi

Exempt

Hughes

Rathbone

Exposed

Myers

Chatfield

Brisebois

Not Under Contract (Exempt)

Edler

Benn

In typical NHL seasons, I believe if a RFA is unsigned by Dec 1st, they are deemed ineligible to play until the following season. With considering the context now with the pandemic, many are wondering if that is still the case or if this deadline is extended.

• Cheers 3

2 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

In typical NHL seasons, I believe if a RFA is unsigned by Dec 1st, they are deemed ineligible to play until the following season. With considering the context now with the pandemic, many are wondering if that is still the case or if this deadline is extended.

My understanding is that it is 1/4 the way through the season, when ever it starts.......so if it is postponed to Feb. 1st, then it is approx. 15 games into it or March 1st?

If it starts Jan. 1st. then somewhere around Feb 1st.

I could be wrong?????

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

My understanding is that it is 1/4 the way through the season, when ever it starts.......so if it is postponed to Feb. 1st, then it is approx. 15 games into it or March 1st?

If it starts Jan. 1st. then somewhere around Feb 1st.

I could be wrong?????

Happy news, if true. Our cap situation should be sorted by then, and that would be a great time to add some physicality.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Happy news, if true. Our cap situation should be sorted by then, and that would be a great time to add some physicality.

I’d be very disappointed if Benning wasn’t making some calls to Tryamkin’s agent to see if this was a possibility. 
As discussed,Tryamkin may be no Chara but he is exactly what we need in a top 6 defenseman and would automatically become our toughest player. I’d feel a lot more comfortable with him in the line up when I see what’s coming from some agitators on other Canadian teams.

Edited by Slegr
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

Just now, Slegr said:

I’d be very disappointed if Benning wasn’t making some calls to Tryamkin’s agent to see if this was a possibility. 
As discussed,Tryamkin may be no Chara but he exactly what we need in a top 6 defenseman and would automatically become our toughest player. I’d feel a lot more comfortable with him in the line up when I see what’s coming from some agitators on other Canadian teams.

Quinn Hughes is an amazing, elusive player, but count on him getting run a lot this year, having someone like Tryamkin available when teams start running Hughes could be interesting. Some top pairing minutes during such circumstances wouldn’t disappoint Tryamkin either, I imagine... even if it comes with some additional responsibilities.

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

On 12/10/2020 at 9:42 AM, janisahockeynut said:

I fail to see why Tryamkin can't come back this year, "IF" available

Defense Protection list

Schmidt

Tryamkin

Juolevi

Exempt

Hughes

Rathbone

Exposed

Myers

Chatfield

Brisebois

Not Under Contract (Exempt)

Edler

Benn

Can't argue with any of this, unless Meyers really steps up his game this year playing next toHughes.

3 hours ago, BCNate said:

Can't argue with any of this, unless Meyers really steps up his game this year playing next toHughes.

I think this is why it is so important to get Tryamkin over here asap.......

I have said this all along.......IMO, Tryamkin can play top 4, and he is far more versatile than Myers, being able to play both sides, and he will be substantially cheaper

IMO, you go over there and buy him out............we have no formal agreement with the KHL

So, IMO, that makes it ok to approach Yek. Auto, and even if we can not, his agent can buy him out....it is simply a shell game

We absolutely need to know how he handles the NHL game, this year

In our favor is that Yek. Auto has lot of defensemen, and will not miss Tryamkin as much.

4 years at 2.25 per...........very tradeable numbers

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Fred65 said:

The thing about Tryamkin IMO is he offers a different diamension to the roster a one maybe we're missing

The Canucks do not have another D man on the roster or in the pipeline that has those attributes of size and physical play. He definitely will fill that need. No more forwards crowding the net with out paying a price for trying to do so.

• Huggy Bear 1