The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Adam Gaudette | #96 | C

NHL'er

23 minutes ago, kloubek said:

As do I, but I don't think it is wise to start him off in that role.  While I liked what I saw at the end of last season, he needs to be able to get on the scoresheet if he wants to play a 3rd like NHL role and he simply didn't find a way to do that.

He played 3C down the stretch, and the reason he "didn't find a way to do that" was largely because of his linemate who couldn't hit open nets (Boucher).

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

He played 3C down the stretch, and the reason he "didn't find a way to do that" was largely because of his linemate who couldn't hit open nets (Boucher).

The Columbus game was so frustrating so many grade A chances went to die on Boucher’s stick that day. 

Edited by canuck73_3
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, kloubek said:

As do I, but I don't think it is wise to start him off in that role.  While I liked what I saw at the end of last season, he needs to be able to get on the scoresheet if he wants to play a 3rd like NHL role and he simply didn't find a way to do that.  I'd rather him play 2C in Utica and get lots of playing time to build up his ability and confidence, then introduce him to the 3c role with the big club and see how he does. No need to rush him - especially considering we have an abundance of 3rd and 4th line talent already.

I think with sutter and beagle we have the ability to have a more sheltered offensive 3rd line role. I think his confidence is fine. Especially coming off a hobey Baker mvp and now getting his feet wet into what to expect at the nhl. He’ll be hungry at training camp

maybe put him between sven and eriksson or granny and Jake. He would get his opportunity. Even benning at his July 1st pressure specifically mentioned gaudette as one of the young guys he expects to help produce and make up the loss of the offense from the twins. 

I think only thing that might hold him back is simply the fact the he’s waiver free and he could become a victim of circumstance till injuries/trades open up a spot for him. 

Might not happen right in October but I could easily see him as either on a line with Pettersson or if Boeser and Petterson eventually get put together, I think he'd be a HELL of a good fit on Horvat's RW (with backup and strong side face off duties).

• Cheers 1

Here's how I see things: first of all, could anyone have predicted Gaudette's success in the NCAA? Clearly, he stepped up and proved everything. The same could happen on the Canucks.

So I don't really think it matter if he starts 3rd or 4th line. He strikes me as the kind of person who will at least attempt his very best  to prove he belongs.

Edited by The Lock
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The issue here is finding him a spot! Let's assume the C's are in this order: Horvat, Pettersson, Sutter, Beagle... which guy would you knock off to let Gaudette play C?

He's versatile enough to play RW apparently...  so currently, we got Boeser, Eriksson/Goldobin, Virtanen, Granlund.... which means his best shot is to beat out Granlund! 

13 minutes ago, Virtanen#18 said:

The issue here is finding him a spot! Let's assume the C's are in this order: Horvat, Pettersson, Sutter, Beagle... which guy would you knock off to let Gaudette play C?

He's versatile enough to play RW apparently...  so currently, we got Boeser, Eriksson/Goldobin, Virtanen, Granlund.... which means his best shot is to beat out Granlund! 

I don't know if we can assume that Pettersson will be a C right away (if ever).  He didn't play C with Vaxjo at all last season.  As it is, he has a big transition to the NHL, so I don't think they want load up too much on him. 

I think Gaudette may spend some time honing his craft in Utica and get a call up when there's an injury.  I see him replacing Sutter in a year or two.  Granlund plays more RW than LW (as well as some C) so his versatility is a plus, but there is a reason he was only signed to a 1yr 'show me' contract.  I think it's Gagner that should be nervous about Gaudette though.

1 hour ago, higgyfan said:

I don't know if we can assume that Pettersson will be a C right away (if ever).  He didn't play C with Vaxjo at all last season.  As it is, he has a big transition to the NHL, so I don't think they want load up too much on him. 

I think Gaudette may spend some time honing his craft in Utica and get a call up when there's an injury.  I see him replacing Sutter in a year or two.  Granlund plays more RW than LW (as well as some C) so his versatility is a plus, but there is a reason he was only signed to a 1yr 'show me' contract.  I think it's Gagner that should be nervous about Gaudette though.

Gagner wasn't all that bad... compared to Eriksson, his ROI was a lil higher...  Gagner would be a nice backup C/RW and hopefully will produce more on PP. 

2 hours ago, Virtanen#18 said:

Gagner wasn't all that bad... compared to Eriksson, his ROI was a lil higher...  Gagner would be a nice backup C/RW and hopefully will produce more on PP. 

Considering what they're paid, Gagner probably does get you a better bang for your buck, but Eriksson was quite a bit better last year IMO.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 3

12 hours ago, Virtanen#18 said:

I say Gagner because he has the C/RW tag like Gaudette.  Besides, Eriksson's salary cap is not movable right now.

45 minutes ago, kenhodgejr said:

Kessler had a 30 goal season in the AHL before the Canucks made him part of their roster. 

I would like to see Gaudette dominate in the AHL also. Not expecting him to net 30 his first year. 

If he makes the Canucks but was only getting 8-10 minutes a game I would not be happy about that. If that were the case then he would be better served playing big minutes in all situations in Utica and be fully ready to hit the NHL running next year. If, on the other hand, he makes the Canucks and is getting 14+ minutes / game and being used in a lot of different situations; I would be OK with that. I guess it all comes down to how dominant he is in the preseason. Time will tell.

3 hours ago, kenhodgejr said:

Kessler had a 30 goal season in the AHL before the Canucks made him part of their roster. 

I would like to see Gaudette dominate in the AHL also. Not expecting him to net 30 his first year. 

I believe that year in the AHL was a lockout year.  If the NHL played that year, he would have been with the Canucks.  please let me know if I am off on this.:)

• Cheers 1

16 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

If he makes the Canucks but was only getting 8-10 minutes a game I would not be happy about that. If that were the case then he would be better served playing big minutes in all situations in Utica and be fully ready to hit the NHL running next year. If, on the other hand, he makes the Canucks and is getting 14+ minutes / game and being used in a lot of different situations; I would be OK with that. I guess it all comes down to how dominant he is in the preseason. Time will tell.

If you look at the average total time on ice of each of the players, almost all of them averaged more than 11 minutes. In fact, the only 2 that didn't were Chaput and Megna (which is especially ironic given how much they were played with WD but that's another story). He's given players like Archibald over 14 minutes a game. Green really doesn't seem to shelter nearly as much as WD, albeit it's not like there are a lot of "minute crunchers" on the team to begin with to use up minutes but still.

So, based on Green's system that we saw last year, we could probably expect the same with Gaudette given the number of minutes he typically grants to each player anyway.

Edited by The Lock

On 29/08/2018 at 10:58 PM, dpn1 said:

I believe that year in the AHL was a lockout year.  If the NHL played that year, he would have been with the Canucks.  please let me know if I am off on this.:)

03/04 Kesler played 33 games in the AHL with 11 pts, and got called up for 28 NHL games with 5 pts. The following year he played in the AHL during the lockout and picked up 55 points in 78 games. Then in 05/06 he make the bigs out of pre-season with 23 pts in 82 games. Hard to say whether he would have been a regular or a call up in 04/05 but I think having a bigger role in the AHL that season helped his game. The AHL was a much better league during the lockout because a lot of the young NHL'ers played there that season.

• Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Ian McIntyre typically seems to have his finger close to the pulse of the team:

That’s not a bad take.  If we weren’t so inundated with vets and waiver-eligible guys he’d be a shoo-in.  I’d love to see Gaudette with the big club even if it meant some waiving or some trading.