The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

3 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

They're brothers. I'm sure they communicated. 

I’m sure they did and at the time maybe Quinn  said he wasn’t sure which route he was gonna take. Then Jack has to committ somewhere before Quinn’s talked to our management and made up his mind.

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Nice hair though. 

(Sorry couldn’t resist :P)

Actually his hair is by far the weakest part of his game right now, not sure if another year in college is going to help with that.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

I think Pettersson, Juolevi, Gaudette, Demko and Dahlen all have a good shot at playing this season.  Youth will be served.  

It might not be right out of camp but all those guys have the ability to contribute and if they’re ripping in Utica I’d expect to see them at some point.  It’s a big difference between relying on them and having no other veteran options and giving them an opportunity over 82 games.

That would be great, I'm all for any of young players getting their shot and developing together in the AHL.  It's ok if they need time, I'm hoping we can add another core piece at the draft next year, either a winger or a defenseman. 

I’m not surprised by Quinn’s decision, and frankly I didn’t really assume whoever we drafted would play this year regardless of who it was...

I genuinely do think he’s good enough to play in the NHL today, but he will be even more impactful when bigger/stronger and more developed. Let this year be about Pettersson. He deserves our full attention.

Juolevi will get a shot. Dahlen will get a shot. Gaudette, Demko, etc.

There’s enough to keep the fanbase invested in the season, but Quinn would have changed everything. Next year, he shall.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Odd. said:

Wasn't expecting any other other response than that. 

Him and Jack are going to tear it up.

Thought maybe you were talking about Quinn and Jack Rathbone...but Rathbone is at Harvard. What Jack is gonna play with Quinn?

I assume you know his brother will not be.

11 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Thought maybe you were talking about Quinn and Jack Rathbone...but Rathbone is at Harvard. What Jack is gonna play with Quinn?

I assume you know his brother will not be.

Yes, my mistake. I forgot Jack pulled out, cause if memory serves correctly he was originally going to go there.

• Cheers 1

Man just listening to the media I would wait a year. Can't wait till he comes next year ,stronger and even more confident. He really started to tear it up towards the end of last year, If he keeps that pace up wow is all  can say. I wonder if Linden didn't walk away if it would have been a different decision. Canucks really need to do something about the media covering this team. If they lock them out it wouldn't be long until the higher up powers replaced a few of them.Besides have the Canucks ever had two years in a row with calder nominees? How about 3?  Boeser, Pettersson hughes?  Dare to dream...……….. 

• Cheers 1

I would’ve loved to have watched Hughes with the big club this year (although he probably will play the last handful of games this season... fingers crossed).

Nonetheless I’m a little relieved by his decision because I want to see what Juloevi brings in camp, and I also think that Pouliot and Hutton are both too young to give up on quite yet. I might get flamed for saying this, but I think there’s a decent chance that Hutton has a bounce back year. Apparently he’s training like a beast and is hungry for redemption. 

Knowing that Hughes is waiting in the wings, Hutton and Pouliot will be motivated to bring their A games. This year should determine which of the two (if either) is a contender and which is a pretender lol ;) 

On 7/25/2018 at 5:14 PM, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

I have a question for the three of you.  

When Hughes turns pro, why does everyone think that only means the NHL, and a full NHL schedule to boot?  

While I don’t dispute that Hughes would benefit for more from development. The AHL is a development league and Hughes could have as much opportunity to grow as playing in then NCAA. 

I think that Hughes could easily play up and down with the club next year and spend most of the season in the AHL.  If he didn’t want to go back to college. 

Whether  Hughes develops in the AHL or the NCAA  to me doesn’t matter. When he is ready he will play that is enough for me and I think the desicion is in far more knowledgeable hands than mine. Hughes’s family will be involved too. I think that Hughes’ pops might know a thing or two about developemt. 

Hughes will get more time in the gym in comparison to being in the AHL where he needs to travel and its rigours, wouldn't you rather have him in the gym or in the rink rather than in the bus? Also in Michigan, hes gonna be their go to guy in the backend, PP1 and PK1, down by a goal or up by a goal, hes the man, and he'll get his minutes rather than in the A where he will probably have an adjustment period and work his way up

7 hours ago, Odd. said:

Yes, my mistake. I forgot Jack pulled out, cause if memory serves correctly he was originally going to go there.

It was an option and speculation but he decided he was gonna stay with the national dev program 

14 hours ago, Watchincanucks said:

Sure can and already have. Toronto had Mathews Marner Nylander. New Jesey had Bratt Butcher Hischier. Boston had Heinen Debrusk McAvoy. Colorado had Girardi Jost Kerfoot. All made the playoffs with 3 rookies in the lineup. But I know you think the vets that helped the Canucks finish near the bottom of the league are better. I don’t think having Pettersson Dahlin and Gaudette or even Juolevi is going to be bad for the team. If fact I think we would be better with all four than without. That is just the last 2 years. Also Colorado also had Compher, and Toronto had Brown and Zaitsev too.

You don't know what you are talking about. Firstly there is a good core of vets in the Leafs roster (but you complain about the Canucks signing vets) secondly if you had bothered to check you would have seen that all the young players barring the No 1 and No 4 picks spent time in the AHL prior to making the NHL. Some others like Nylander spent time in the SHL and the AHL.

The 2016-17 roster that went deep in the playoffs were as follows. As you will see there is plenty of veteran and experienced mid 20s players. In the second group you can the number of AHL games played shown after the player's age.

Boyle - 32

Bozak - 30

Fehr - 31

Gardiner  - 26

Holland - 26

Hunwick - 31

Kadri - 26

Komarov - 30

Martin - 27

Marchenko - 25

Michalek - 31

Polak - 30

Smith - 28

JvR - 27

Zaitsev - 25

Brown - 23 - 110

Carrick - 22 - 192

Reilly - 22 - 14

Hyman - 24 - 72

Marner - 19

Nylander - 20 - 75

Matthews

So as I said only Mathews and Marner, very high picks made the team from the draft but Mathews spent a year in the Swiss pro league and Marner played 19 AHL games for the Marlies.

You really need to check some relevant background facts before posting wildly inaccurate accusations against the Canucks Management. Are you really a fan, I think Rob is right, more like a plastic fan.

5 hours ago, cory40 said:

Man just listening to the media I would wait a year. Can't wait till he comes next year ,stronger and even more confident. He really started to tear it up towards the end of last year, If he keeps that pace up wow is all  can say. I wonder if Linden didn't walk away if it would have been a different decision. Canucks really need to do something about the media covering this team. If they lock them out it wouldn't be long until the higher up powers replaced a few of them.Besides have the Canucks ever had two years in a row with calder nominees? How about 3?  Boeser, Pettersson hughes?  Dare to dream...……….. 

yeah good thing for him to avoid the media here for another year

there is extra money in the canuck organization

as they will not be a cap team this year

maybe it is time to invest in some contracts to cull the local media herd

:P

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

You don't know what you are talking about. Firstly there is a good core of vets in the Leafs roster (but you complain about the Canucks signing vets) secondly if you had bothered to check you would have seen that all the young players barring the No 1 and No 4 picks spent time in the AHL prior to making the NHL. Some others like Nylander spent time in the SHL and the AHL.

The 2016-17 roster that went deep in the playoffs were as follows. As you will see there is plenty of veteran and experienced mid 20s players. In the second group you can the number of AHL games played shown after the player's age.

Boyle - 32

Bozak - 30

Fehr - 31

Gardiner  - 26

Holland - 26

Hunwick - 31

Kadri - 26

Komarov - 30

Martin - 27

Marchenko - 25

Michalek - 31

Polak - 30

Smith - 28

JvR - 27

Zaitsev - 25

Brown - 23 - 110

Carrick - 22 - 192

Reilly - 22 - 14

Hyman - 24 - 72

Marner - 19

Nylander - 20 - 75

Matthews

So as I said only Mathews and Marner, very high picks made the team from the draft but Mathews spent a year in the Swiss pro league and Marner played 19 AHL games for the Marlies.

You really need to check some relevant background facts before posting wildly inaccurate accusations against the Canucks Management. Are you really a fan, I think Rob is right, more like a plastic fan.

Agree with your post, but just a fact check.........Marner has only played in the NHL.........and........it's Matthews/ Rielly ( sorry about the last petty point )

4 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

Hughes will get more time in the gym in comparison to being in the AHL where he needs to travel and its rigours, wouldn't you rather have him in the gym or in the rink rather than in the bus? Also in Michigan, hes gonna be their go to guy in the backend, PP1 and PK1, down by a goal or up by a goal, hes the man, and he'll get his minutes rather than in the A where he will probably have an adjustment period and work his way up

They don't travel much at all in the AHL and they get a lot of gym and practice time.  Utica would have been my choice for him, but a crack at an NCAA championship is understandable, though it doesn't sound like they'll have as strong a squad as last season

1 hour ago, stawns said:

They don't travel much at all in the AHL and they get a lot of gym and practice time.  Utica would have been my choice for him, but a crack at an NCAA championship is understandable, though it doesn't sound like they'll have as strong a squad as last season

Yeah the AHL would probably be just as good for his training and development. I think people underestimate how good of a development league the AHL actually is. 

That said, there’s a lot of advantages to staying at Michigan too. Quinn is still 18. He has friends and family in Michigan. He knows his university campus and he’s comfortable living there. He doesn’t have to adjust to a new city and finding a place to live and how to get to the rink and creating new chemistry with teammates. He just has to focus on hockey

Edited by Canadian Clay
  • Upvote 1