The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Boeser not close to extension

Patrick Jane

The number of restricted free agents the Vancouver Canucks organization needs to make decisions on this off-season is in the double digits.

The top priority among the team’s RFAs is star winger Brock Boeser, but according to Sportsnet’s Irfaan Gaffar the two sides are not close to a deal.

Boeser is among the more accomplished players in the stacked 2019 RFA class that includes: Sebastian Aho, Mikko Rantanen, Mitch Marner, Matthew Tkachuk, Kyle Connor, Patrik Laine, Brayden Point, William Karlsson, Timo Meier, Kevin Labanc, Jakub Vrana and Travis Konecny…to name a few.

It didn’t take long for Boeser to show NHL fans he had a knack for the back of the net. He buried four times in his first eight NHL games after leaving the University of North Dakota and was the Calder Trophy runner-up in his first full season. His 0.42 goals per game over the past two seasons is the 25th-best mark in the NHL and he’s coming off a career-high 56-point season during which he scored 26 goals in 69 games.

It’s unclear at this point whether or not Boeser and the team prefer to negotiate a long-term contract or if either side would be willing to settle for a bridge deal.

Boeser is 22, the same age Bo Horvat was when Canucks general manager Jim Benning signed him to a six-year, $33-million contract two years ago when he was an RFA.

Nikolay Goldobin, Ben Hutton and Josh Leivo are among the other notable Canucks RFAs this year.

Veteran winger Loui Eriksson is currently the Canucks’ highest-paid player with his $6-million annual cap hit. In theory, Boeser’s cap hit should exceed that.

#Canucks and Boeser camp expected to meet again soon. Told the two sides are not close at all.

As long as Brock remembers that he's had moments being very sh**ty at defence when 'arbitration' comes up, that number is going to not be where he thinks it is, if he thinks it's currently above 7 or thereabouts.

If he's looking in that 8-9+ stratosphere, I'd say see what kind of a return is possible around the league. See if some GM is willing to get stupid to get him. I like him, but not if it handcuffs the rest of the team, especially with future RFA negotiations on the hook to boot. Yes you've gotta pay talent, but becoming "the Oilers" ie overpaying a guy or two who haven't actually won jack **** seems like a really bad idea, player likability or not.

Boeser is an interesting situation for JB. Let me start by saying I love this kid, but I also understand business. He is a real talent, has incredible character, and is the kind of player you want as part of your leadership team of the future. That being said, he's not without his 'warts' - again this is not to bash him but to look at him objectively. He had a great rookie year, cut short by injury, and a solid second year that clearly was impacted by that rehab/injury. Irrespective of that this is what I see the issue being;

• He's scored 29 and 26 goals, 55, 56 pts both years. Great numbers for a young player
  • He's also been the beneficiary of playing with some talent (Bo/Vanek was a big part of his success year 1, Petey year 2), he's not really a play driver but rather a great complimentary player
  • His defensive game needs work
  • His skating needs work
  • His comparables from his agent will be guys who are more 'play drivers' than complimentary players, and thus his agent will want that type of money
  • JB will be concerned that, while Brock has shown a great ability to finish, will he continue to get better, ie is he a 25-30 goal player, or can he be a 40-50 goal player? His agent will argue the latter, JB will want to wait and see. As a GM you're always happier to pay after the fact, agents these days want players to be paid on potential.

At this stage, tying up Brock for $8 mil is not worth it imho. I love the kid, but I honestly am not sold that he's a 40-50 goal player. Its odd because his numbers show he could be, few players score like he has in their first 2 years, but I still have my doubts because of his skating. JB will want to pay him like a 25-30 goal 55 pt player, and that's good and fair. The challenge is, his agent clearly will want him to be paid more like a 40 goal / 85-90 pt player that he "may" become. He's not worth more to this team than Bo imho. He should get slightly more than Bo given salary inflation.

If they can't get that done, then give him a bridge and let him prove it out.

16 minutes ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

Boeser is an interesting situation for JB. Let me start by saying I love this kid, but I also understand business. He is a real talent, has incredible character, and is the kind of player you want as part of your leadership team of the future. That being said, he's not without his 'warts' - again this is not to bash him but to look at him objectively. He had a great rookie year, cut short by injury, and a solid second year that clearly was impacted by that rehab/injury. Irrespective of that this is what I see the issue being;

• He's scored 29 and 26 goals, 55, 56 pts both years. Great numbers for a young player
  • He's also been the beneficiary of playing with some talent (Bo/Vanek was a big part of his success year 1, Petey year 2), he's not really a play driver but rather a great complimentary player
  • His defensive game needs work
  • His skating needs work
  • His comparables from his agent will be guys who are more 'play drivers' than complimentary players, and thus his agent will want that type of money
  • JB will be concerned in that, while Brock has shown great ability to finish, will he continue to get better, ie is he a 25-30 goal player, or can he be a 40-50 goal player. His agent will argue the latter, JB will want a wait and see.

At this stage, tying up Brock for 8 mil is not worth it imho. I love the kid but I honestly am not sold that he's a 40-50 goal player. Its odd because his numbers show he could be, few players score like he has in their first 2 years, but I still have my doubts because of his skating. JB will want to pay him like a 25-30 goal 55 pt player, and that's good and fair. The challenge is, his agent clearly will want him to be paid more like a 40 goal / 80 pt player that he could become. He's not worth more to this team than Bo imho. He should get slightly more than Bo given salary inflation.

If they can't get that done, then give him a bridge and let him prove it out.

Brock's college teammate, Nick Schmaltz, signed a 7 year contract for $5.85M per year. He has scored 6, 21 and 7 goals over the past three seasons and I think it would be a very tough argument to make that Brock is not worth more than that contract.If I am his agent, I would say Brock is worth at least $1M per season more than Schmaltz given their current production and trajectory.

19 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

Brock's college teammate, Nick Schmaltz, signed a 7 year contract for $5.85M per year. He has scored 6, 21 and 7 goals over the past three seasons and I think it would be a very tough argument to make that Brock is not worth more than that contract.If I am his agent, I would say Brock is worth at least $1M per season more than Schmaltz given their current production and trajectory.

Just because Arizona gambled on Schmaltz improving by overpaying his current production doesn't mean Vancouver needs to over pay on Brock. Just like Hall for Larsson doesn't set the trade market. All that said, I would say that 6.5ish sounds about fair for where Brock is at currently... If they buy UFA years it will go up. However, as mentioned by other posters, Brock has yet to break 30 goals, doesn't drive play, and has yet to put together an injury free season. IMO he hasn't earned a 7x7-8M deal that he may (or may not) be asking for. Right now I think it is in the best interests for both parties to sign a 2 year bridge if Brock can crack 35+ he will get paid accordingly at age 24.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say most of these things aren't "close" until they are.

It's pretty common to shoot for the stars and see what that brings.

There's a reason it's called bargaining and agreements are reached...because you usually start far apart then see if the other side will budge (and how far).  Cat and mouse.  Tug of war.

Not worried.  Just get it done boys.  

10 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

@Patrick Jane you need to re-do the title as "speculation" - no one on either side has made a public statement on it. 

I agree.  Did someone from either camp say they weren't even close?  Otherwise it just makes it look like one or both sides are being unreasonable.

Archived