The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tyler Myers l #57 l D

-DLC-

• 3 weeks later...

So, I would just like to beat the Tyler Myers drum again..........

NHL RHD stats............as of today

Tied for 41st in points for RHD

Tied for 35th in +/- for RHD

19th in TOI per game for RHD

We just need to give him a little respect. These were close to last years stats as well. Well within top 3/4 defensemen stats. And it is noticeable when he is not here.

Edited by J.I.A.H.N
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Wouldn't be sad if he was scratched for a few games. He is the common thread in pairings that struggle. OEL, Stillman all seem to play much better without Myers on their side.

He is just an awful dman through and through. Dumb plays, stupid penalties, and seems to have no IQ with the puck. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/21/2022 at 10:49 AM, Muttley said:

Personally I'm torn about this (as in keeping or trading him). 
As good as he unexpectedly was last year, thinking about trading what appears on paper to be a prime asset (with the right partner, he's a big, mobile, minute and cap-munching RHD) seems to be the best route forward as he's a $6 million liability in his own zone who looks wobbly on skates.  Trading him for a cheaper and potentially still-serviceable shutdown guy in Zaitsev has its appeal too as there would be cap savings and space to make moves.  However, those who say that trading him later when he's a pending UFA also likely has a point, since (as we've seen from Miller and Horvat, and even other former pending UFAs like BIeksa) he'll probably play better in his contract year.  As a fan though, I'm just not sure if I could stomach another season of him nearly getting deked onto his butt by smaller, quicker guys, reaching for the puck with his stick in vain and ultimately showing that he deserves to be on the bottom-pairing despite getting paid to perform as one who should be on top. 

If y'all were GM, what would you do?  

Can't be very nice to hear that you were going to get traded for an AHLer with 4.5M cap hit and they turned it down, wonder what that does to his confidence? He's down to bottom pairing 15 minutes a night and rightly so, he's been dreadful this year but last year he was arguably one of our best shutdown guys with OEL.

I think just like how Bruce has finally sorted Miller's bad defence out by playing him on Bo's wing, we need to try and do the same with Myers. We tried Myers and OEL together and Myers cost us big time. We tried Myers and Stillman for some stupid reason and that was a disasterclass. Last game I thought Burroughs and Myers looked a bit more stable.

In terms of on-ice quality, this team would be best suited with Myers as the 5th guy playing 15 minutes a night, or even sit him in the press-box and play Rathbone - Burroughs, heck even Brisebois looked better than Myers, but just like how we battled through Miller's bad defensive play, I wonder if there's a way around Myers to get him back to the best he can be....

Crazy thought but what about Myers on the left? Or even crazier thought....Hughes paired with Myers to protect and help him? Realistically BB would never do it but worth a thought, seeing as it's going to be impossible to trade him.

• 3 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I don't think anyone would argue Myers is worth his current contract. 

But to me, this is the exact reason why rosters are not, and should never, be built totally around analytics. 

Anyone following this team knows Myers does have value and could easily add value to another team if put into the right role. 

To state that he literally has less than zero value in the NHL tells me that the 'model' this guy is using is inappropriate for what he's using it for. 

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

But to me, this is the exact reason why rosters are not, and should never, be built totally around analytics. 

Anyone following this team knows Myers does have value and could easily add value to another team if put into the right role. 

To state that he literally has less than zero value in the NHL tells me that the 'model' this guy is using is inappropriate for what he's using it for. 

Agreed. I'm a huge fan and proponent of analytics, but when you get stats like this, you have to use your brain and hockey instinct and second guess your findings. I've learned this over the years whenever doing my own statistical analysis and it has lead to much fewer insane results like this.

Myers was the highest mover up the all-time Canuck scoring list last night with his assist.  Now into 124th

123.  Gregg Boddy D 273 23 44 67
124.  Tyler Myers D 229 13 53 66
125.  Conor Garland RW 104 24 41 65
Edited by Wilbur

2 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Myers was the highest mover up the all-time Canuck scoring list last night with his assist.  Now into 124th

123.  Gregg Boddy D 273 23 44 67
124.  Tyler Myers D 229 13 53 66
125.  Conor Garland RW 104 24 41 65

Call me crazy, but I just have a feeling that Garland will eventually pass him!

Edited by Captain Canuck #12

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 12/12/2022 at 10:38 AM, Fanuck said:

Lots of people here have and continue to do so, as laughable as it is.

One poster in particular is adamant that in his almost 5 years here, Myers has never been in the "right situation" or had the "right partner" for him to excel in a top-4 role, as if a 6M D-man should need to be coddled and carried for him to perform adequately.

In reality, a 6M D-man should at worst be a #3 guy, which means he should be carrying his own top-4 pairing, and shouldn't need to be babysat.

On 12/12/2022 at 10:38 AM, Fanuck said:

On 12/12/2022 at 11:10 AM, -AJ- said:

Agreed. I'm a huge fan and proponent of analytics, but when you get stats like this, you have to use your brain and hockey instinct and second guess your findings. I've learned this over the years whenever doing my own statistical analysis and it has lead to much fewer insane results like this.

Well the problem is Myers gets buried in his role because he's always playing above his skill level. He's always been deployed as a top-4 guy despite never actually performing like one (outside of last season where the bizarro pairing of OEL-Myers actually worked). Not that his role is unfair to him, at least based on his cap hit, because he plays the minutes a 6M guy ought to.

If he was only being paid 2.5M and only playing as a sheltered 5/6 and 2nd PK, his charts wouldn't look so bad.

Edited by kanucks25

2 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

The same points can be made for OEL.  

(I'm not trying to put you on the spot @kanucks25; I don't even recall what your position is on OEL and his contract - however I do know that there are some posters here on CDC who claim that "woe is OEL, he just needs the 'right partner' to be able to perform", and the points you raised above kind of debunk that argument.)

No I agree, all the same can be said about OEL.

If you're being paid 7+ million you need to play like you're worth it regardless of partner.

Hughes definitely has warts in his game but still earns his keep regardless of partner. But at the same time he'd probably perform more like a 9M guy if he still had Tanev, for example.

That said, I have more faith in OEL playing well if given the "right" partner compared to Myers because at least OEL has a legit track record of being a high quality player in the past.

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was thinking he’s getting worse the longer he’s here so I looked up his career stats, he peaked his rookie season and has steadily gotten worse during his entire career. I don’t know how a veteran defenceman can constantly panic and throw blind clearing attempts up the middle of the ice with out even looking who’s in front of him all the time and not get benched. He should have a good view if he only looked up from the ice once in awhile.

• Cheers 1