The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Minnesota Wild | August 4th, 2020 | 7:45pm PT, SNP | SCQ Game #2

Rate this topic

Roberts

5 minutes ago, Darius said:

The system Minny plays reminds me of those LA king teams that won the cups a few years back. Not saying they are that good, but I’m thinking they play that style.

5 man box, keep everything to the perimeter, and have your big oafs pummel everyone.

fast relatively skilled teams like ours, have trouble with this type of game.

just get the first goal and force them to take chances . 

This.

As much as I hate to say it, I knew the game was already lost when Fiala scored the 1st one.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Maginator said:

Bruh.

We scored ZERO goals.

Markstrom has to get shutouts now? :lol::lol::wacko:

But why did we score ZERO goals? Because we were chasing the game for 55 minutes, resulting in taking penalties

and not drawing any (the reffing and bench minor didn't help but wasn't the problem). The first goal has always a 

huge impact on the game and how it unfolds. Who is chasing and who is getting more and more comfortable.

And especially a soft goal like that will take out all your confidence that you just build over the first minutes and the

Ferland fight.

He doesn't need to get shutouts, let's say he needs to make the saves at the right time. 

1 minute ago, Nathancanuck said:

But why did we score ZERO goals? Because we were chasing the game for 55 minutes, resulting in taking penalties

and not drawing any (the reffing and bench minor didn't help but wasn't the problem). The first goal has always a 

huge impact on the game and how it unfolds. Who is chasing and who is getting more and more comfortable.

And especially a soft goal like that will take out all your confidence that you just build over the first minutes and the

Ferland fight.

He doesn't need to get shutouts, let's say he needs to make the saves at the right time. 

If a player loses confidence from one goal, we should trade them.

I don't think that is the case. 

Edited by Moose Nuckle

1 hour ago, TrickOfShapes said:
If anyone is looking for answers as to what happened in Game 1, here's a look at all of Vancouver's offensive opportunities against Minnesota (Aug. 2, 2020).

Part 1:

Part 2:

The Canucks were stuck on the perimeter all night and couldn't generate many high-percentage opportunities at all. Minnesota clogged up the middle of the ice and stayed back to prevent rush chances. They forced the Canucks to play their game.

Vancouver needs to create more pressure in the lower half of the offensive zone and try to get to the inside. They need to get Stalock moving laterally. Canucks players need to be cutting through the middle of the ice or setting up passing plays with the puck going through the middle. There needs to be more happening on the inside. Once Stalock shuffles, he becomes exposed. He is an aggressive goalie with good puck-handling abilities, so the Canucks' dump-ins are that much more difficult with him back there.

Right now, the Canucks are playing exactly the way the Wild want them to. As long as Alex Stalock is sharp, he can pick off the one-and-done chances from the perimeter. Vancouver's point shot-rebound opportunities were contained by the Wild's blocks and quickness to the rebounds. The team also couldn't set up any one-timers at all in the slot.

It reminded me of how the Canucks were forced to play the Bruins in the finals. Except for the fact that the Wild don’t have a clear physical edge on Vancouver. 

6 minutes ago, Moose Nuckle said:

It's the same hate that was given to Lou. Best goalie Canucks ever had, mad he lost in a 4-0 game.

Lou and Markstrom are not anywhere close.. I never hated Lou, he had almost as many shutouts in

the Stanley Cup Final as Markstrom in his career. And there is a reason for it, he is not often enough

consistent for 60 minutes in a row and he has shown this problem all his NHL career even tough he 

slightly improved on that this season..

Lou would've shutout the Wild in Game 1

Stalock probably would've shutout the Wild in Game 1

Markstrom basically did a shutout but let in 1 goal every other goalie would have had and another

one that 90% of goalies would have had.

• Wat 1

I'm sure this has been posted, but just in case anyone missed it or for the younger fans who don't remember the 5 game first round series of the 70's and 80's. 56 times in NHL history a team has gone down 2-0 in a 5 game series and their series record is 1-55. This is as close to a must win as you can get.

• Thanks 1

Just now, debluvscanucks said:

Travis Green just said we'll probably see couple of changes in the line up tonight.

Hopefully our top 6 change their play more so. Without this happening, the Canucks have no chance, regardless of any tinkering of the 3rd line.

10 minutes ago, Moose Nuckle said:

If a player loses confidence from one goal, we should trade them.

I don't think that is the case. 

Isn't that what happens every game multiple times? That certain plays boost one teams confidence

and lowers the other teams? It's normal even if you know it and you are an pro athlete you are still

affected by emotions and confidence which are affected by what happens on the ice..

And if you are a young team with an unexperienced coach and it is a kind of a deja vu thing than 

it even hits you harder.. 

I would wanna see a stat of how we did in games where we let in the first goal in the first 5 minutes..

1 minute ago, Nathancanuck said:

Isn't that what happens every game multiple times? That certain plays boost one teams confidence

and lowers the other teams? It's normal even if you know it and you are an pro athlete you are still

affected by emotions and confidence which are affected by what happens on the ice..

And if you are a young team with an unexperienced coach and it is a kind of a deja vu thing than 

it even hits you harder.. 

I would wanna see a stat of how we did in games where we let in the first goal in the first 5 minutes..

Opp. Scores First
12-21-5

6 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

So, Virtanen and Eriksson? Wonder if he has the guts to slot in Juolevi in place of Fantenberg.

I’m ok with all those moves. But again, it’s all meaningless if our top 6 doesn’t produce like in game 1.

7 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

So, Virtanen and Eriksson? Wonder if he has the guts to slot in Juolevi in place of Fantenberg.

Would LOVE to see Juolevi in for Fanta.  His stretch passes could open it right up for us and help add more speed to our game/transition.  Fanta played ~15min last game which is manageable minutes for Juolevi that could reap all the rewards.  C'mon Green.