The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Arizona/OEL

mll

10 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

really? you think they're all going to pass on millions of dollars to not play? can't see it. Some sort of hybrid bubble would work well. 

As long as the government ain't letting players family in the country I dont see any player willing to go thru the entire season away from family. NHL team owners prolly better off wiping the season not paying then have to go thru an entire season in any bubble with no fans. Look at the number of cases spiking everywhere. Its not even wave 2 yet

• Vintage 1

Just now, wai_lai416 said:

As long as the government ain't letting players family in the country I dont see any player willing to go thru the entire season away from family. NHL team owners prolly better off wiping the season not paying then have to go thru an entire season in any bubble with no fans. Look at the number of cases spiking everywhere. Its not even wave 2 yet

I could see a 1/2 season like back when CHI won the cup, then a break, then a playoff bubble, something along those lines. 

3 minutes ago, Millerdraft said:

I’m glad we still have Podz, Hogz and Demko but sad we don’t get to maximize Hughes’ and Pettersson’s ELCs as well as Horvat’s prime by adding a player of OEL’s caliber...

Why are talking like this is over? Be patient. Don’t be sad and weak. 

• Wat 1

Just now, EP Phone Home said:

All this time wasted to pursue this guy that we could’ve been prioritizing our own important players to resign. Hope we didn’t waste this time to lose Marky,Tanev and Tofu. Please redeem yourself Jim. 

I'm sure they're multi-tasking.....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gaudette Celly said:

Astounding how some can call the missed opportunity to get a top-pairing dman at a discount a "good thing".

:unsure:

I think the key is “a discount”.  If the deal didn’t get done it is likely that it wasn’t at much of a discount.

There are points where you walk away rather than make a bad deal.  Benning in the past has a history of overpaying in trades and UFA signings because he targeted a player and didn’t know the right time to walk away.  Maybe he is learning.

Edited by Provost
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, debluvscanucks said:

For the third consecutive year, the average NHL defenceman was under the age of 27. That's more than a full year drop from just 10 years ago.

Again...few and far between and it's a crapshoot.  It's not about how "good" he is...it's about how his body holds up and as players age, injuries start to become more of a factor.  Especially putting all the eggs in A basket.

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl-increasingly-reliant-on-young-defencemen-1.1148442#:~:text=For the third consecutive year,from just 10 years ago!

Some defencemen are better at avoiding injury than others.  This is taking the entire pool of defencemen into consideration which is not what we’re talking about.  We’re talking about an entirely different class of player with a different level of hockey IQ.  It’s apples to oranges.

6 minutes ago, Gaudette Celly said:

Astounding how some can call the missed opportunity to get a top-pairing dman at a discount a "good thing".

:unsure:

Missed the call?  Or didn't bow down to huge demands?

There are two sides in this and it wasn't like they didn't try.  But they had limits and that's ok.

Doesn't sound like it was "at a discount".  Do you know the deals being offered/rejected?

I'm over the whole OEL thing....did not become fixated on one shiny new player and I'm glad Jim didn't either.  Has to be a negotiated thing, not a demand.  We have our own stars who will be making demands down the road and they matter most to me.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3