The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Red Wings sign Troy Stecher

4 minutes ago, Trebreh said:

What we need to upgrade is a replacement for Tanev. That can come via trade.

OJ and Raff are already better than Benn and Fanta in my eyes cause they could move the puck and make a good first pass as opposed to banging the puck along the glass lol.

Rafferty is like 25 I think so he's not some young rookie. I think he is more advanced in his game as Stecher was when he joined the Canucks. 

Rafferty is only a year younger than Stecher.  His time is now really.  If he can't make the big club next year with all the openings we have then he probably won't ever make the NHL.  I'm sure Benning will give him every opportunity to make the big club next year along with Juolevi.  We need that one nasty SOB on the right side.  Brandon Carlo is the guy.  Get er done JB...

• Like 1

I'm a bit confused...originally it was reported that Stecher needed to be qualified by the Canucks, but on CapFriendly it stated that he did not need a QO.

IF he did in fact need to be qualified by the Canucks, then I believe it would have had to have been a 2.5mil+ QO. And the Canucks would have been the only team held to that figure in Free Agency (all other teams could sign him to whatever he accepts). So again, if true, then JB could NOT offer Stech 1.7mil.

Please correct me if wrong (is Wetcoaster around?...he knows this stuff)

the 'silver-lining' here - is that with Tanev and Stecher - two guys that were already great cap value at their previous cap hits - taking shaves on these contracts - it really indicates an opportune market to 'buy' in...

And that extends to trade acquisitions - players' present cap hits are much harder to move - ie Steen rented for a 1st, 4th, Foley - moved for a 4th round pick...(same player he was).

So teams looking to move good players with existing contracts - are taking significant asset value hits to do so.

This makes me 'optimistic' that the team can buy a good asset - probably a heavier two-way type - at reasonable value.  Ie what is Savard's market value in the present context?  And perhaps it makes sense to spend a late pick in order to avoid the longer term (ie Savard will expire well before Tanev, for example...).

And perhaps more interesting - will be the relatively tanking value of younger players whose contracts were signed pre-Covid - ie a Ristolainen already had perceived reduced value...now, cap hits like that are harder to move at value, and some of those teams have the additional pressure of financial challenges....

That does create opportune circumstances for Benning to sit back, be patient, and let the cards fall where they may.

I don't think it's necessarily a horrible strategic position to be in to not have made moves yet - it could go either way....

Edited by oldnews
  • Upvote 3

Serious question.

Benning refused to give term to Tanev.  Refused to give Stecher a comparable contract as he got.  Both of which were actually affordable.

Is there a potential fish Benning is after right now that justifies losing essentially our entire right side on the back end?  Is he saving cap due to the covid economy in the NHL?  

Something is up and it's got me curious

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, ABNuck said:

I'm a bit confused...originally it was reported that Stecher needed to be qualified by the Canucks, but on CapFriendly it stated that he did not need a QO.

IF he did in fact need to be qualified by the Canucks, then I believe it would have had to have been a 2.5mil+ QO. And the Canucks would have been the only team held to that figure in Free Agency (all other teams could sign him to whatever he accepts). So again, if true, then JB could NOT offer Stech 1.7mil.

Please correct me if wrong (is Wetcoaster around?...he knows this stuff)

Once the deadline had passed for offering a QO, Troy became a free agent (and capfriendly updated to reflect that).  After that any offer could be put on the table after free agency started

3 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Serious question.

Benning refused to give term to Tanev.  Refused to give Stecher a comparable contract as he got.  Both of which were actually affordable.

Is there a potential fish Benning is after right now that justifies losing essentially our entire right side on the back end?  Is he saving cap due to the covid economy in the NHL?  

JB is gunshy now about pulling the trigger after all the abuse he gets from CDC

28 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

You all wanted Benning to improve the defense.  Looks like that is what he is trying to do.  You don't improve it by bringing back the exact same players.  I am sure something is cooking.  I smell the heat.  Benning will bring us a top 4 right handed Dman.  Just be patient...

The Canucks needed to upgrade their D after watching the Golden Nuggets manhandle them and kept in their own zone for most of the game.

Hello Rafferty, Olli the goalie and Tryamkin.  They will be additions to the young core.  Exciting times.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

To be fair you literally played that card first. Let’s keep the Personal attacks out of it (both of you) and return to the subject matter shall we. Cheers

@Warhippy @The Vancouver Connection

Good Cop RNT

If it were @StealthNuck you guys would time in detention. 

Liked Stecher's compete  but he was manhandled pretty much in the playoffs.  Benning was clear that the playoffs showed where the team was at and that difficult decisions had to be made.  Our defense was an issue and has been for quite some time with the quality of shots we surrender.  Benning knows that has to change and thay means personnel have to change. Hopefully, that includes moving on from Baumgartner as he needs to shoulder some of the blame for a system that has consistently underperformed regardless of who was on the ice.

• Cheers 4

16 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Serious question.

He’s bringing in chara 6x6