The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

2 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Boom! There we have it, folks.

One thing:  Donnelly has been singing the anthem at Canucks Games since 2001.

I hope someone from the Canucks organization got in touch with him personally to let him know of his dismissal before this tweet appeared.

9 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

My former boss was a Translink consultant ... every cost saving measure he proposed was ignored.  He reported redundant positions but there was no interest in tightening up...a lot of floaters in the system.  He got fed up and quit to start his own business (where I met him).  They're a money wasting organization, even IF they also do provide a service.

This isn't about the  bus drivers or people out on the front lines.  It's the ones sitting in an office who want to just roll past this like it never happened.

It's our responsibility to change our passwords but it's their responsibility to safeguard the system and, if there is a breach, to take appropriate measures to also protect our information.  I resent the implication that it was somehow not their worry and "we should have" done something (more).  

I won’t deny there’s waste in any big system. That’s undeniable. 

However, large transit or provincial/federal agencies are built on redundancy. 

Redundancy isn’t a bad word when it comes to very large billion dollar organizations. 

They’re required.

Also, though we may get a bit lax on our usernames and passwords, it behooves us to ensure that we take personal responsibility for our own financial security when cyber-crime is so pervasive and literally in our own backyard’.  

Even the biggest and best companies and banks around the world have been hit by ransomeware attacks. Blaming Translink is like blaming France for the attack on French people by ze Germans. 

Your previous colleague sounds like they were an independent contractor and to me like someone who doesn’t know all the ins and outs of having to deal with a quasi-governmental agency that has to juggle various things, like unionized personnel throughout its enterprise from frontline to office to mechanics to a whole host of other departments I haven’t begun to imagine or have already mentioned above. 

One independent contractor is not the be all or end all of insight and not someone you ought to rest your cap on when dealing with complex organizational structures that they have a nitpick with. 

Edited by Sharpshooter
  • Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

I hope someone from the Canucks organization got in touch with him personally to let him know of his dismissal before this tweet appeared.

Meh, deserved for stupidity. 

• Vintage 2

7 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Meh, deserved for stupidity. 

Firing anyone by tweet is cold, let alone someone who's worked for you for nineteen years.  Even someone who has done something stupid.

For that matter, I'd like to hear from Donnelly about why he chose to sing the anthem at this event.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, UnkNuk said:

Could not possibly care less if he found out via twitter

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, UnkNuk said:

Not much to explain.  An excerpt from the news article reads: ""We oppose government orders and will gather for the holidays,” the poster for the event says."

With that being the message and tone of the event, it's no surprise he was fired on the spot.  

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

And here's a thought:

If  Bo Horvat or Elias Pettersson decided to be a guest speaker at this event, would the Canucks organization be as quick to cut him or trade him?

You could bet a ton of fans would turn on that player pretty quickly, not to mention his teammates.  Wouldn't be surprised one bit if the player was put on the block.

Hockey is not bigger than the pandemic.  There's a reason this thread has been a sticky far longer than any other thread in CDC history.

Edited by HKSR
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

You could bet a ton of fans would turn on that player pretty quickly, not to mention his teammates.  Wouldn't be surprised one bit if the player was put on the block.

Would they?  Depending on the odds, I might take that bet.   ;)

You know

I would like to see more and bigger fines

and progressive 

Meaning..$500 first offense per person

$750 second offense

$1500 third

Jail time 4th

To me, 95% of the people want everyone to wear a mask....and no one wants to, but they do for me and you

It takes, time, money and energy to police these clowns

Honestly, If someone brought Covid into my 93 year old mothers place

I would consider killing them, if she died (if proven of course)

Strong words...strong feelings

$10,000 for any host of any gathering not approved....progressive as well...........

That is per offense....so if a church or anti mask demo wants to ignore

Well, hit them hard

No apologies 

Let's stop dicking around!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I know I would turn on either one of those players in a heartbeat if either decided to support the anti-mask movement that jeopardizes the health and lives of people all over the world.  

Honestly, right now, I care more about this pandemic coming to an end than the start of the next NHL season.  

Okay, that's your personal reaction.  And it's a very understandable one.

But getting back to Donnelly, I'd still like to hear his side of the story.

And, yes, it is quite possible that the Canucks got in touch with Donnelly, didn't like what he said, and then terminated him and the tweet followed.

10 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

And, yes, it is quite possible that the Canucks got in touch with Donnelly, didn't like what he said, and then terminated him and the tweet followed.

I would think this is the more likely scenario. FA would probably want to confirm with Mark that the story is true to begin with.

• Cheers 1

43 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

Firing anyone by tweet is cold, let alone someone who's worked for you for nineteen years.  Even someone who has done something stupid.

For that matter, I'd like to hear from Donnelly about why he chose to sing the anthem at this event.

Dude chances are the Canucks don't have him as an employee or contractor. He probably gets called by the team every so often to come in and sing and paid per performance. 

Pretty much this is Aqua just signaling he won't give him a call anymore, which is fine to do in a tweet cause he ain't getting much of these calls the last two year anyways.

Also not gonna be surprised if he finds it hard to breath with a mask so understand why he might not want to wear one.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

31 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

Okay, that's your personal reaction.  And it's a very understandable one.

But getting back to Donnelly, I'd still like to hear his side of the story.

WTF who cares about his side of the story?  He is actively involved with a group that promotes actions and activities that pose a threat to our health.  Think of it this way, your loved one recently passes away from Covid and your are grieving.  You see a news story about these f$&king idiots that think this is all a hoax or wearing masks is infringing on their rights.  How would that make you feel?  Huh?

• Cheers 3

Aquilini should of at least waited for the rally to happen. Donnelly could easily sue for wrong dismissal if he was on the payroll. What if he doesn’t go now? Plus since when do we fire people for speaking there mind? What if he was going to go there while social distancing? I could follow the rules and still speak against it. I agree with most of the restrictions but it’s easier for me as I’m an introvert and a homebody so it doesn’t change things as much for me. 

I just wish we provided more resources to the people that are getting blasted by this crisis and not just financially. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, High and Inside said:

Aquilini should of at least waited for the rally to happen. Donnelly could easily sue for wrong dismissal if he was on the payroll. What if he doesn’t go now? Plus since when do we fire people for speaking there mind? What if he was going to go there while social distancing? I could follow the rules and still speak against it. I agree with most of the restrictions but it’s easier for me as I’m an introvert and a homebody so it doesn’t change things as much for me. 

I just wish we provided more resources to the people that are getting blasted by this crisis and not just financially. 

All it would require for Aqua is a severance of a few thousand dollars to avoid wrongful termination if he can even get that as it is hard to imagine being an anthem singer is his full time gig. So really wrongful termination does not even a concern here for Aqua.

A company can fire anyone they want for speaking their mind or any reason as long as they are willing to pay the severance for full time employees or contract termination fees.

Edited by 24K PureCool
  • Cheers 1