The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

9 minutes ago, stawns said:

We've still got 8 months or so of restricted living

My worry is that once people are vaccinated they'll feel that they can just go right back to how they were.  Have a false sense of "we're good now" that really will be over time as this is proven to be effective.  And it seems we may need multiple doses so...it's a process.

I hope this virus has taught us to keep some of the measures in place indefinitely....the part where we crowd one another in stores, line ups, etc. in particular.  I wouldn't mind maintaining this personal space deal as that part has been kind of nice.  Except when it comes to family and friends...I sure miss hugs.  I've warned them to be ready that, when it is perfectly safe, they're all getting massive, long hugs.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

7 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

My worry is that once people are vaccinated they'll feel that they can just go right back to how they were.  Have a false sense of "we're good now" that really will be over time as this is proven to be effective.  And it seems we may need multiple doses so...it's a process.

I hope this virus has taught us to keep some of the measures in place indefinitely....the part where we crowd one another in stores, line ups, etc. in particular.  I wouldn't mind maintaining this personal space deal as that part has been kind of nice.  Except when it comes to family and friends...I sure miss hugs.  I've warned them to be ready that, when it is perfectly safe, they're all getting massive, long hugs.

sadly I think its taught us we have too high a percentage of people that don't care. 

We have so many people trying to get it right, and then a bunch of goofballs go to AB for an old timers game, or some group gathers for some religious entitlement thing, etc. Thats the problem we need to solve, vaccines we can do. 

• Vintage 3

7 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Wouldn't it be something if all those that did not take the Covid Vaccine, just like disappeared, because of long term effects that were unknown.........

it is certainly a concern what might be lurking down the road from this. No one saw shingles coming as a consequence 40 years after you got chicken pox, e.g. 

Something to think about when people are weighing the risks of a new vaccine. You actually don't know the long term consequences of covid yet. Might be decades before you do. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

20 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

no, it isn't. Sound public health policy isn't authoritarianism, it's saving some people despite themselves. Sure we could let Darwin take over, but unfortunately that takes innocent lives with it too. 

Of course it isn't. But preventing people from going about their daily lives is a form of that. You can't go to work, you can't do this, you can't do that: get the vaccine or else. That isn't sound policy at all. Global and CBC have already discussed this and while it seems "unlikely", it hasn't been ruled out completely. People should be cautious about what they put in their bodies instead especially when they don't need it of bending over backwards.

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

it is certainly a concern what might be lurking down the road from this. No one saw shingles coming as a consequence 40 years after you got chicken pox, e.g. 

Something to think about when people are weighing the risks of a new vaccine. You actually don't know the long term consequences of covid yet. Might be decades before you do. 

that's the x factor all these people aren't considering........there are a LOT of virus' that stay in your system forever, only emerging when your defenses are compromised

• Cheers 1

55 minutes ago, stawns said:

Here's my issue..........what would you have done?  All these people crying about their loss of freedom, should the govts have just let life go on and let the virus run wild?  The US had 3200 DEATHS yesterday and they are estimating it will be 5000 deaths per day by january.........is that what these people want?

Unfortunately, many people don't care who, or how many die, as long as it isn't them.

• Cheers 1

Just now, stawns said:

Here's my issue..........what would you have done?  All these people crying about their loss of freedom, should the govts have just let life go on and let the virus run wild?  The US had 3200 DEATHS yesterday and they are estimating it will be 5000 deaths per day by january.........is that what these people want?

Masks and distancing as had been recommended in the first place. That is sufficient, reasonable, and doesn't infringe upon anybody. Except that wasn't properly enforced and now there is discussion of mandatory vaccine, shutting down of businesses which in most cases there is zero correlation between them and rising cases, and the prospect of you not being able to return to your daily life sometime in 2021 until you are vaccinated willingly or unwillingly.  Public opinion supported this concept of mandatory vaccination in May and that was before the peanut gallery was truly terrified; scare people enough and you can convince them to give up their freedom, you can convince them of anything. 

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Not Covid news per se, but a consequence of the pandemic nonetheless and I have to say, I found this pretty heartbreaking:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/my-only-wish-children-asking-pet-charity-to-help-their-furry-friends-at-christmas/ar-BB1bCONq?li=AAggXBV

:(

Man, Kaylee's letter had me tearing up. That stuff is hard to read.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

22 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Masks and distancing as had been recommended in the first place. That is sufficient, reasonable, and doesn't infringe upon anybody.

But clearly, as has been proven many many times, there are people who it most certainly does infringe upon - according to them at least.  And, as you mention, with no effective way to fully enforce masks across the province, then what.......? 

1 hour ago, stawns said:

Can you elaborate by "wake up"?

Something is definitely up.

They're inflating the covid numbers so it looks worse than it actually is.

It has always been the case but people don't believe it.

That data right there is a very clear proof.

How can that be explained otherwise?

• Wat 6