The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

1 hour ago, Cerridwen said:

They're supposed to be.

I see a number of gyms playing fast and loose with the restrictions as laid out by the PHO. Our group classes are closed yet the machine/weight room is open with no mask mandatory. It's as though instead of complying with a health order designed to keep their clients safe, they are working overtime to find ways around it. That is exactly what has happened here....the group classes survived a week beyond the initial HIIT etc restrictions. You had to enter the Rec Centre wearing a mask...wear it in the gym while collecting mats, weights etc....permitted to remove it within your 6 foot square space while working out but had to don it again if you step out of that space. Room doors to the outside were open.....

Seriously????

As I said, there were 4 more days of classes before the doors were shut to group fitness classes.

These gyms are gambling with the health of their clients. Sorry, but they don't get to gamble with mine. You can do workouts at home. I have absolutely no sympathy for businesses, Recreation Centres etc who would rather find ways around the safety protocols than actually do what's best for their clients and other people. It disgusts me to see this happening.

Around here cross fit is still going on as per usual, no masks that I can see when going by and group of at least 10 people all doing same drills. Never going to be able to control how things tho...just like Christmas, going to tell me that everyone out there is NOT going to see their parents or kids on Christmas....will a percentage abide by that sure, but telling people to stay at home at Christmas is going to be a tough sell to get near full commitment from people imo

2 hours ago, Cerridwen said:

EXACTLY! It's unconscionable...disgusting and appalling. :(

I know!  Why would people who have poured their life savings, countless hours of their lives and literally everything they have into a business not just close the doors and walk away?  Small businesses grow and trees and are easy to support, grow a client base. Besides all landlords are super supportive, cancel rent payments at a moments notice. Insurance premiums go away immediately upon a Bonnie Henry update and staff are SUPER excited to be laid off, asked to return and then laid off again. There is now logical reason anyone would try to keep a business open when they can simply close up shop. 

/s in case anyone didn’t get it

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Me_ said:

Who knew that imbecility would reign supreme in this futureworld.

What do you mean? This age is great. If i want, i can youtube makeup tips for dogs, learn how flat the earth really is, or find out kim kardashians butt implant size. 

It beats lighting firecrackers in piles of dog poo, lighting farts on fire, lighting...other stuff on...fire. 

Its a process. 

Oh and groin jokes. I miss those though. 

• Haha 3

17 hours ago, DeNiro said:

The point being that of those 1 in 20 you hope that it’s someone with a healthy immune system that can fight it off regardless.

The main goal is to protect front line health care workers and the elderly. If you can protect 95% of them then the number of dead or dying will drop significantly.

Yes, vaccinations should reduce the number of dead or dying, especially if it's the elderly who are getting the vaccinations.

But suppose you have an elderly relative in a nursing home.  They get a vaccination.  You still don't know whether they are part of the vulnerable 5%.  So are you going to be able to visit them as freely as you did prior to Covid 19?

Or is the idea that if we can get the death rate down to flu levels, we'll accept that, just as we do with the flu?  We all can hang up our masks, forget about social distancing,  hug our elderly relative, even though there is a (minimized) danger in so doing?

13 hours ago, IBatch said:

The theory is the disease won’t have enough hosts and slowly dwindle into oblivion.   The polio vaccine took 3-4 shots to get to 99%... first one around 90...it’s a great start.   Of course Polio eventually was completely erradicated, and this was an awful thing for kids to get, yet an every day thing for a long time.   It usually left its mark - stunted growth, kids walking on their hands because their feet were a mess and other things.

Sure we will manage just fine.   Also of the 5% remaining it’s a sliding scale ... like the regular flu shot most that still get the flu anyways have much milder symptoms then if they didn’t and still caught one of the strains in the mix.  So if your one of the 20 a 50% reduction in symptoms is still a good thing, and who knows if the contagion factor goes down too, less Covid is less Covid. 

Covid 19 will eventually go away.   The major part of the battle will be over once every person gets their second shot.  Less then a year for us im sure.   Hopefully it works better then excepted. And it’s going to get worse before it gets better, but for sure the vaccination results will start showing up, and it won’t be close to as bad as it could be without them even six weeks from now.   

Makes sense.

But this assumes that everyone will get the vaccine shot.  If only 65% of the population get the vaccine, sickness/death rates will decrease but the virus will be around for a long time.  Won't it?

And on that subject:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/poll-finds-majority-of-canadians-open-to-getting-covid-19-vaccine-but-many-want-to-wait-1.5824067

"A majority of Canadians intend to get vaccinated against COVID-19, but that many would prefer to wait at least a month or two after a vaccine is approved before doing so, a new Ipsos/Radio-Canada poll suggests.

The internet poll surveyed 3,001 people over the age of 18 across the country between Nov. 20 and Nov. 25.

Of those who responded, 64 per cent said they would probably or certainly get vaccinated, while 16 per cent said they definitely would not.

One-fifth of respondents were undecided."

2 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

Makes sense.

But this assumes that everyone will get the vaccine shot.  If only 65% of the population get the vaccine, sickness/death rates will decrease but the virus will be around for a long time.  Won't it?

And on that subject:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/poll-finds-majority-of-canadians-open-to-getting-covid-19-vaccine-but-many-want-to-wait-1.5824067

"A majority of Canadians intend to get vaccinated against COVID-19, but that many would prefer to wait at least a month or two after a vaccine is approved before doing so, a new Ipsos/Radio-Canada poll suggests.

The internet poll surveyed 3,001 people over the age of 18 across the country between Nov. 20 and Nov. 25.

Of those who responded, 64 per cent said they would probably or certainly get vaccinated, while 16 per cent said they definitely would not.

One-fifth of respondents were undecided."

is there no update today

9861 (+136) cases to date in the Vancouver Coastal Health region

24558 (+297) in the Fraser Health region

2339 (+74) in the Interior Health region

735 (+11) in the Island Health region

1132 (+48) in the Northern Health region

93 (+0) of people who reside outside of Canada

3 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

9861 (+136) cases to date in the Vancouver Coastal Health region

24558 (+297) in the Fraser Health region

2339 (+74) in the Interior Health region

735 (+11) in the Island Health region

1132 (+48) in the Northern Health region

93 (+0) of people who reside outside of Canada

maybe people in FH are starting to get the message. Things seem to be trending down this week. 

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

Hear this one out, for anyone who's ever had the whooping cough they know that cough, one of the worst months of anyone's life, but I remembered reading that covid had some similarities to the whooping cough because they both affect the lungs. So this guy I speak to on a regular basis who lives in Arizona older guy mid 60's, he had to go see the doctor on a Monday due to tremors he was having, didn't talk to him again until the Thursday, but when talking to him every minute roughly he would cough pretty deeply, he never does this when we normally talk, but the cough he had reminded me of when me and my family had the whooping cough. I said this to him because I read there was some similarities, of course he didn't want to hear that, but wasn't ready to accept he may have contracted covid, he just thought he had a bug because it's colder now. Basically 5 days passed again and didn't see or talk to him, I ended up getting a message from his son who informed me his dad was in the Hospital with covid, he had covid and his mother had covid, they all got it. Just talked to my guy yesterday, he finally is back home after being in the hospital for a week but his voice sounds so rough still, but just glad he made it through. 

So if you've ever had the whooping cough it's definitely not that common anymore, but if you've ever had it and you hear someone coughing and it sounds a little similar to that cough if you remember the cough, then I suggest you stay far away from them or tell them to go get checked asap, good chance they have covid.

Edited by ChuckNORRIS4Cup

OK so hear me out but understand this is hearsay and entirely second hand.

My sister is a high ranking nurse here in Penticton.  One of the liaisons between hospital staff and Interior Health.  one of our mutual friends is a high muckity muck in Interior Healths management team.

A circulation has been made regarding modelling for the rest of december and businesses staying open etc.

essentially the cliff notes are as follows judging by what they say

• Province expects people to ignore rules between Dec 19th and 31st (new years eve)
  • Shopping rush followed by desire to see families will over ride peoples adherence to Covid restrictions
  • Areas of Victoria and South Island as well as central and south okanagan keyed as potential hot zones due to snowbirds wintering here instead of US/Mexico
  • First 2 weeks of January expected to see and anticipated increase in numbers based on inter provincial travel and provincial travel from hot zones
  • Should numbers approach the 1200+ per day a shut down is expected
  • As businesses tend to struggle through Jan/Feb provincial and federal assistance is being pushed forward to help mitigate losses
  • Shutdown of 4-6 weeks is possible as that would help drag numbers down to initial levels as seen at outbreak last april

Now again take it with a grain of salt but this is what these two spoke of.  They know their stuff and honestly it seems feasible.  I do not for one second expect people to avoid shopping or not to associate with family over the holidays.  The Okanagan is at capacity right now with snowbirds from the lower mainland and alberta who otherwise would be in the US or Mexico.  People will celebrate new years one way or another to kiss this mess good bye

Needless to say...i'd get my strong dose of people in prior to new years.

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 2