The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

12 minutes ago, Iron Fist said:

Low white blood cell count. What if my immune system can't handle a weaker version of the virus, Why would I inject a virus into myself when i know I'll probably get sick from it. I can wear a mask and socially distance myself from others without it being an issue for anyone

100% wrong.  Get vaccinated.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Wat 1

1 minute ago, gurn said:

The old style vaccine contains DEAD virus material, you cannot get covid from them.

The new style vaccine contains no covid virus at all.

Please talk to your doctor, they will know a lot more about  your particular medical  issue, and more about the choices of vaccines and what they contain.

There are a few live-attenuated vaccines around still, just not for COVID.  
The AZ and JanJ are live viruses, but they are modified monkey-pox, not COVID and can’t replicate in humans. 

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Iron Fist said:

I can think whatever I want. Thats my choice.  Ban me from your restaurants and gatherings, It's all good. Ill play by those rules

I think the bigger issue would be that the vaccine may not be as effective for you, Alf is right though somewhat indelicate in his statement. The mRNA vaccines are not viral particles, they just encode one small part of the virus and doesn’t include the vast majority of what you would need to replicate virus. 
Ultimately the immunocompromised are much higher risk for adverse reaction to the virus and decreased efficacy of the vaccine but likely at less risk of side effects by the nature of the immunocompromise.  

Edited by DrJockitch
  • Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, gurn said:

Port Alberni, a town that has emergency Tsunami warning sirens. In case a scientific device senses a underseas earthquake hundreds of miles away. At which point the system uses science to send a signal, using a scientifically proven electrical pulse from the sensor to a computer system, that uses a formula created by scientists to ascertain whether a large wave will be created, and where it will end up.

Science at work, saving lives.

Seat belts- science saving lives

Pace makers

Insulin

Blood thinners

on and on, and on, and on, and also includes covid vaccines.

The best part of the tsunami warnings is all the idiots who rush to the inlet to watch the wave come in. Im not f&$#ing joking we have a 100 or so people do it every damned time. I dont know what they are expecting, either there is no wave and therefore no show, or there is a wave and they have a quick death coming for them. I really question what is wrong with my town some times.

• Sad 1
  • Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Iron Fist said:

I can think whatever I want. Thats my choice.  Ban me from your restaurants and gatherings, It's all good. Ill play by those rules

You can think whatever you want but what you think is factually incorrect. You aren't injecting yourself with covid. If after acknowledging that fact, and talking to your doctor about it, you still choose not to get it then fine. But based on what you said, your decision to not getting vaccinated is not well informed.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

I too would like to understand people's vaccine hesitancy. There are some things I've heard that I can understand, mainly that there isn't enough studies but considering that a large population of the entire world is already vaccinated I would say the risk of adverse symptoms is relatively rare (in comparison to death by Covid). As for the "I have a right to choose grounds" I also get that but I don't believe that you can do so without having some of your privileges limited. Think back to before we had rules for wearing a seatbelt, drinking and driving and smoking in public. You technically have the right to do so but with severe consequences. The smoking in public is basically the same analogy in that your actions would affect the general public. If anything not getting vaccinated would lead to greater consequences than smoking in public as second hand smoke won't kill for at least several generations whereas Covid can kill within months. Unfortunately smoking in public is a visible deterrant as people know immediately if you are or not. I do not know if you are vaccinated or not unless you can prove it somehow and I would say 100% of us don't want to have to wear a mask for the rest of our lives so there has to be some compromise to protect the general public. 

Anyways I could see this being a very hotly contested subject so I suggest like the OP stated that we all remain respectful and not attack each other's post and only state our opinions and facts and reasons without tying anyone else's post into theirs. Trying to convince other posters at this point is futile and will only lead to negativity.

35 minutes ago, Iron Fist said:

Low white blood cell count. What if my immune system can't handle a weaker version of the virus, Why would I inject a virus into myself when i know I'll probably get sick from it. I can wear a mask and socially distance myself from others without it being an issue for anyone

If you have a weak immune system I'd be more worried about contracting Covid than the normal person. However in the end only you can decide which you feel to be riskier to your health in the long run.

17 minutes ago, Iron Fist said:

I agree with what others have said. Talk to your doctor and get accurate information about the vaccine and the risks particular to your condition and then make your decision. That is your right and I respect that you are willing to abide by the rules that come as a consequence of your decision. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, LTC123 said:

I think this deserves its own thread.  Please be polite and respectful...I'm just trying to find out real reasons/rationale here.

My wife works in private healthcare.   Her patients are mostly from rural and religious communities.   She is hesitant because of the stories she sees and hears about regarding vaccine side-effects.  She also claims the "no long term study" line too.  Also, she sees people who fled political over-handedness only to have a provincial government say they "have to take" a vaccine.  This continues the distrust of governments and health/government agencies.  

For those of you who are, or know someone who is vaccine hesitant, what are the concerns?    There are people who have died, suffered heart attacks/strokes/paralysis, and other severe outcomes soon after receiving the vaccine.  Is that enough to scare people away?

I merged it because it really doesn't (deserve it's own thread).  

Those who want to ignore health advisories  can present their "arguments/reasons" in here with the rest of us.  My worry is that those refusing the jab will use this as a platform and it's really not the place considering the team's stance on the issue.  Both sides of the issue have been discussed in here so I see no reason for a stand alone that goes against what we're being asked to do by worldwide health and science experts.

Your wife using "hearsay" to form her opinion on medical issues doesn't really prove that she's any smarter than the rest of us.  No one's saying she "has" to take the vaccine.  She has every right to refuse it but she may have to face what comes with that, including contracting COVID (I hope she does not).  People who are not taking every measure to protect others as well as themselves are being limited to access to some up close and personal interactions, that's all.  It's still a choice and nothing "forced".  The public has a right to be protected so that's a flip side in this.

We can be polite but still completely disagree.  I work in a school but I know enough not to listen to rumblings in the hallways to form my opinion on important issues.  Sure, we can digest some of what others say but it's important NOT to ignore the facts being presented by the majority of health experts and scientists.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Iron Fist said:

Fact:  non vaccinated die from Covid at a rate of 2/100 infections.  Fact:  1/500 Americans has died (in the last 12 months) from Covid.

I think the point of the thread was to hear what people's reasoning is from a non-judgemental standpoint which I know is hard.

It has been too politicized and at this points emotions and feelings are taking over logic and attacking just turns up the heat in a bad way.

Moot point as it is now merged with the toxic COVID thread.

10 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

I think the point of the thread was to hear what people's reasoning is from a non-judgemental standpoint which I know is hard.

It has been too politicized and at this points emotions and feelings are taking over logic and attacking just turns up the heat in a bad way.

Is there a non medical reason to avoid the Covid vaccine, that isn’t based on emotion and not reason?  

21 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Yes, it was.   But COVID can easily take an emotional turn into a toxic playground.  Not intended:  Just wanted to hear some non-judgemental and non-political rationale.  

2 hours ago, Iron Fist said:

inject a virus into yourself?  can you elaborate?

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1