The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT - Page 136] Vancouver Canucks @ Edmonton McDavids | January 13, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | SN, SN1

Rate this topic

-SN-

5 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

I got to meet the Johns once down in the trenches after a game....so down to earth and approachable.  Came over, said hi...just all around good guys.  I've always liked them since that.

I would love to just go to a hot dog vendor with the 2 John's, grab a bite of food and just talk to them about the game. Just hear their stories from behind the scenes of broadcasting would be an awesome way to spend an afternoon!

14 minutes ago, kilgore said:

Wait...a 20 yr old rookie, in his first game.....has a weight on his shoulders (to score) already? 

I thought the same thing, I would have thought more like "it's nice to get that one out of the way early"

• Huggy Bear 1

39 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Eriksson was very visible. Toffoli is the cost.

:angry:

The thing is - the reality was/is that the team had/has a pair of young RW - Hoglander and Podkolzin - so signing Toffoli, having Boeser - and Virtanen....would have resulted in a bottleneck in short order regardless.  It couldn't be 'assumed' that Hoglander would emerge this quickly - but at the same time, he looked like a damn solid bet to earn an NHL spot - and as it turns out, that 'spot' made sense to keep open to competition.

I think it was the priority to commit the cap to a defenseman instead - and Schmidt seems like the right one to me.

But as it turns out - I'm not sure the team will be giving up much in Hoglander relative to Toffoli - and they have more cap flexibility in the younger ELC (and then RFA)....

I also think Hoglander's speed - and playmaking - might actually make a better fit for Horvat and Pearson.  Toffoli is a talented player - and goalscorer - but Hoglander may be the better fit as a 'catalyst' - I don't see Horvat as a 'playmaking' center (Pearson likewise, as a winger, could probably use a playmaker) - so having a winger like Hoglander  is a pretty exciting complement for that line.

And then there's Podkolzin...so - they look deep in youth at RW.

It's only one game - but Gaudette also looks stronger - and more solid battling down low in his own zone (perhaps a bit more aware as well) - so that could bode well if he in fact has taken another step in development as a center.

Edited by oldnews
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, BPA said:

How was JV in the top line? 

I think he did OK.  But not enough to take the spot away from Miller.

I agree. But he did play much better in the 3rd, caused a lot of turnovers and hit the goal post. Not bad at all. I was impressed with the 4th line of Beagle, Sutter and Motte. There wasn't too much to complain about tonight. Great win! 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, ruilin96 said:

I would love to just go to a hot dog vendor with the 2 John's, grab a bite of food and just talk to them about the game. Just hear their stories from behind the scenes of broadcasting would be an awesome way to spend an afternoon!

You'll go bankrupt with Garrett stealing your ketchup. 

• Haha 2