The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT - Page 136] Vancouver Canucks @ Edmonton McDavids | January 13, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | SN, SN1

Rate this topic

-SN-

12 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Not really a surprise. Matthews isn't bad defensively and is very good on the draws. He just averages 46 goals a season so it's hard not to play him strictly offensively.

Marner's a PKer as well and was their top PK forward last year in terms of ice time. Former London Knight though so you can probably expect a 200ft game to some degree.

Not surprising - because it's the Leafs.

But it's a sign of two things - a poorly built team - and one that doesn't realize how damaging a loss it would be for them to have their Tavares, Marner, Matthews types eating shots on the penalty kill.

Not to mention that Matthews work ethic without the puck is weak - and his defensive outcomes have been consistently poor.

I enjoy seeing it, though.

They are shallow down the middle.  One injury to a center and they'll be even more fun to watch.

Edited by oldnews

Well I am really torn about whether they should even be playing during this pandemic....I am so fortunate to be living in Australia where we seem to have a handle on it at the moment. But for all of my family and friends in Ontario and BC these are scary times....Definitely a BIG SHOUT OUT to all the front line health care workers....

Hopefully this will provide a good distraction for what is going on in the world.....

Go Canucks Go....

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

Not surprising - because it's the Leafs.

But it's a sign of two things - a poorly built team - and one that doesn't realize how damaging a loss it would be for them to have their Tavares, Marner, Matthews types eating shots on the penalty kill.

Hence why the cons probably outweigh the pros here.

Leafs rely too much on their stars. If that wasn't the case, then yeah you could throw them out in multiple situations.

7 minutes ago, LionofJudah said:

Where is it listed as such? I will need to follow those tv schedules or apps, or..

I don't know where you can find the info, it's just a known thing. if you want to skip the preamble and tune in for the puck drop, 9 minutes after the scheduled start time is usually a safe bet. 

In the case of the two Canucks, they have been ruled out of action for a week or more after a series of COVID-19 tests led to Benn being diagnosed as a presumptive positive. And Miller, who has been staying at Benn’s home in recent days, is a close contact, having been within two metres of Benn for at least 15 minutes during a 24-hour period that preceded Benn’s positive test.

Just now, tas said:

I don't know where you can find the info, it's just a known thing. if you want to skip the preamble and tune in for the puck drop, 9 minutes after the scheduled start time is usually a safe bet. 

Yes, I know that. What I was saying is that is the annoying bit. That it doesn't start on time for where its scheduled. If im watching another sport if its listed for starting at 7, then when I tune in at 7 it will be starting.

My ocd wants it to start when it says it going to. Not "sometime between 9 to 15 minutes later"

Just now, Junkyard Dog said:

Hence why the cons probably outweigh the pros here.

Leafs rely too much on their stars. If that wasn't the case, then yeah you could throw them out in multiple situations.

I can see why they've done that with Tavares - by necessity - because they failed to add center depth and particularly center depth that can handle hard minutes...but still a horrible 'plan' - one they keep going to - but at least with Tavares he's capable of handling the role (although those hard miles on a 'franchise center' at his age = not a good idea imo.

Matthews - typically in the range just under 60% ozone starts.   Corsi typically lags a half dozen pts behind.

Two seasons ago - he was - 9 in that context.  Not easy to do when you're scoring that much down tilted ice - to give up even more.

3.9 on ice goals against per 60 5on5......worst on the Leafs.

Guy has a lot of growing to do as a player to be a penalty killer that you can take seriously.

Leafs outsmarting themselves yet again.

2 minutes ago, LionofJudah said:

Yes, I know that. What I was saying is that is the annoying bit. That it doesn't start on time for where its scheduled. If im watching another sport if its listed for starting at 7, then when I tune in at 7 it will be starting.

My ocd wants it to start when it says it going to. Not "sometime between 9 to 15 minutes later"

the scheduled start time is for the broadcast, not the game, and it does start on time every single time.