The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Montreal Canadiens | January 20, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | ESPN+, SNP, TSN2, RDS

Rate this topic

-SN-

Just now, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Get rid of Baumgartner. How does a career ahler get to be a coach. He wasn’t even a good defence man. This system garbage and it’s been bad all the way back to the Vegas series.

The level of play does not necessarily dictate the level of coaching ability. Lots of good coaches have come out of just being high level but not elite players. And I cant think of a ton of ‘elite’ players who make/made good coaches. 

Coaching ability is decided by... well... coaching ability. Baumer isnt really demonstrating NHL coaching and systems ability here.

still puzzling why they don't seem to have a plan entering the offensive zone....shoot in with no support or hang on to the puck on the side board and then run out of time and passing lanes...we should be better with the speed and skill on the team (we have speed and skill right?)

1 minute ago, Twilight Sparkle said:

Why doesn't virtanen ever want to carry the puck in? It's like he hits an invisible wall at the line and has to dump it in, every time

He's not built to bring it in. It is what it is at this point. He's not going to change his way of playing. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, N4ZZY said:

I wonder what it could be then. I mean, Schmidt is an upgrade, Hamonic is supposed to be an upgrade, everyone else is back (Myers, Edler, Hughes)

Schmidt is an upgrade overall, not defensively. Tanev just lacked so much offensively that Schmidt is better all round. Myers and Edler have always been inconsistent (either fantastic or horrible) and Hughes had his defensive woes masked a lot by Tanev last year. Hamonic should definitely be better though. Lots of rust and he's trying to do too much currently. Should hopefully play better after 15 or so games. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Smashian Kassian said:

4th line is playing great, its incredible. 

I'd say our best line outside of a few spurts from the 1st line.  

I don't mind how we're playing for 95% of the game, but then we go ahead and give up a cross-crease tap-in. 

1 minute ago, brownky said:

The level of play does not necessarily dictate the level of coaching ability. Lots of good coaches have come out of just being high level but not elite players. And I cant think of a ton of ‘elite’ players who make/made good coaches. 

Coaching ability is decided by... well... coaching ability. Baumer isnt really demonstrating NHL coaching and systems ability here.

True. I just don’t know how they can justify playing this way and keeping the coach who is teaching them to defend. It doesn’t look like there are adjustments made. What is Holtbys gaa? Everything that could go wrong is going wrong for this team.

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, N4ZZY said:

Is it because he's not familiar with the system, or is he just not good anymore? 

It’s tough to tell but the guy got zero training camp and hadn’t played in like 10 months or something since he skipped the playoffs.  He’s rusty for sure. 

3 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Get rid of Baumgartner. How does a career ahler get to be a nhl coach? He wasn’t even a good defence man. This system garbage and it’s been bad all the way back to the Vegas series. Pettersson, Pettersson, where are you?

Barry Trotz wasn't even good enough to make the AHL?  Is he a bad coach now too?

I'm not advocating keeping Baumer, but his playing career isn't a legitimate argument.