The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Montreal Canadiens | February 2, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

Wouldn't be the first time a recently rebuilt team flounders.  There's a long history of these teams doing the 3 steps forward 2 steps back jig.

My sense is that the Canucks future will emulate the Avalanche; not the Oilers.

We'll see how they do tonight.  The team may come back focussed and ready to play.  W or L, that's what I want to see.  Play a complete game and then build on it to defeat the Flames. 

At this point, consistency is what will create the ascension of this team. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 2

If we the make simple plays, forecheck, play a feisty game, I think we will win. 

Habs are pressuring the puck carrier early and often. Got to provide passing options to make short accurate passes to limit the turnovers. 

i think we win 4-1. 

I really believe this team has the ability to do great things and we have seen glimpses of it here and there , but , both the leadership(guys with letters on their jersies and vets) and the coaching staff have to be able to adapt to the ever changing climate of the game.

There needs to be leadership somewhere between the passive Nazzy/Hank approach and the Torts extremism. 

Yes if your up 4-0 or 5-1 you can relax a bit on your play but if a team is coming at you full bore we need to be able to match it. 

We seem to be always trying to put the square peg through a round hole until frustration creeps in when we are losing.

Like many have already have said, we need to get back to the simpler game with those short passes and dump it in if need be. It really is showing in the lack of leadership in the top 6 because they just seem to get frustrated and nothing happens. 

You see the bottom guys put in that little extra hustle to retrieve the puck or they lay body checks to separate the puck from thier opponents. That is not happening with the top guys and they are the ones leading in ice time. 

I still think all the pieces are there, we just need to align them in the correct way for them to succeed. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

We gave that game to Montreal. Yeah they pressure, but our giveaways and defensive lapses were insanity. 

Anyone talking about how the departure of Marky and Tanev has gutted the locker room is off their rocker. These are pros, and they lose/gain plenty of teammates during their NHL careers. If they can't get over the loss of two guys (yes, I know they were huge parts of the room, don't get me wrong) then they're not mentally strong enough for this league. I don't think that's the case.

A few people have mentioned that Marky was covering up gaping holes in our defensive coverage, and I agree that its a good thing we are being exposed. One way or another they need to figure it out before they become competitive. Whether that's a coaching change, personnel change or attitude adjustment, I have faith in our management team to figure it out.

Let's just hope for a respectable game tonight, don't think I can handle another one like last night.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

This team sucks. It clearly took a step back from last season despite no real major changes occurring except that in goaltending. There are no easy answers and no easier teams coming along. If they can't figure it out soon, they're going to be so far in the hole so early it will be impossible to dig out of.

imo Tanev is/was a major change.

That said I would not have given him the contract Calgary did.

After watching Chara and Myers I’ve come to the conclusion that if someone pissed you off the best revenge is the hardest possible crosscheck you can muster across the back of the neck . 2 minutes and nobody ever gets suspended. Maybe Montreal doesn’t deserve one but it’s something to consider throughout the season.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Toyotasfan said:

After watching Chara and Myers I’ve come to the conclusion that if someone pissed you off the best revenge is the hardest possible crosscheck you can muster across the back of the neck . 2 minutes and nobody ever gets suspended. Maybe Montreal doesn’t deserve one but it’s something to consider throughout the season.

The best revenge is clearly crushing the other team on the scoreboard. Myers gave Armia a concussion with a questionable hit. Montreal responded by spanking Vancouver in the next two games.  

9 minutes ago, Toyotasfan said:

Was it the Celtic's coach in the dumb MJ docu that had the team mentality, if you penalties are all the same, make it count if you are going to take one.

Could be an idea, since some of the softest calls are being made right now.

3 hours ago, canuck2288 said:

We really do need to stop making excuses about scheduling 

we look at our own team but fail to realize that every other team in our division has the same requirement 

is there a timing difference that will need to take place before the schedule equalizes? Yes but don’t forget that we have had ottawa 3 times already

when its all said and done our schedule is actually one of the best in the division. We play the least back to backs and we get for teams on their “tired” days 

so stop making excuses for poor in ice performance 

We haven’t had 2 days off in a row since the start, whereas we have played teams that have had rested, we don’t get a 5-6 day rest period unlike the habs, leafs, flames and oilers (not checked the jets) we have also done the most travelling again so far in the north.

most of our off days have been spent travelling and we don’t get more than 1 day off in a row till mid February. The schedule isn’t the reason why we are playing this badly but it’s a significant contributing factor and to discount it is disingenuous. We don’t get ‘our time’ when it balances out later as we only get a few multi day breaks. Yes others get a condensed ending but they get a proper rest and training period we never get 

1 minute ago, UKNuck96 said:

We haven’t had 2 days off in a row since the start, whereas we have played teams that have had rested, we don’t get a 5-6 day rest period unlike the habs, leafs, flames and oilers (not checked the jets) we have also done the most travelling again so far in the north.

most of our off days have been spent travelling and we don’t get more than 1 day off in a row till mid February. The schedule isn’t the reason why we are playing this badly but it’s a significant contributing factor and to discount it is disingenuous. We don’t get ‘our time’ when it balances out later as we only get a few multi day breaks. Yes others get a condensed ending but they get a proper rest and training period we never get 

You’re overstating things. Montreal started with a 6 game road swing out west then got a 4 day break (including travel). Not 5

-6 days. Yes. They’ve played more games. But we’re barely over 2 weeks into the season. Falling back on the fatigue excuse already is weak sauce.