The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Montreal Canadiens | February 2, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

okkkkiiiii sooo....WHY is it why cant win against Habs? they are good...but they arent great. Why is it then so difficult? is it enough to keep a special marking on our 2 top lines and thats it? its getting really annoying not being able to get a win...and it feels like we havent been close a single game against them. I dont see how we can win with those facts from this seasons games and from the games against them so far. Im guessing a 4-1 win for habs unless the coaches finds a way to confuse and dismantle the montreal Defensive system. sorry to say but i just dont see it....:(

Any ideas for a different second PP unit? First unit always stays out too long and the second unit is just absolutely horrible.

How about 

Höglander (puck retrieval)             Myers (screen)               Motte (faceoff, puck retrieval)

Virtanen (one timer)                            Schmidt (one timer)

EDIT: MacEwen might be the better option in the slot

Edited by Nathancanuck
  • Cheers 2

23 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

This team sucks. It clearly took a step back from last season despite no real major changes occurring except that in goaltending. There are no easy answers and no easier teams coming along. If they can't figure it out soon, they're going to be so far in the hole so early it will be impossible to dig out of.

They didnt suck 48 hours ago?

They played some of their best hockey.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Lol so when we win it’s just the other team sucked

haha, no, but maybe? I don't know. Tossing those OTT wins aside, the Canucks aren't as good this year. 

Without those OTT gimmes, they would be 3-6, with one of those wins coming by way of a shootout.  Could easily have been 2-7.

Edited by NUCKER67

28 minutes ago, Bo Dega said:

So Habs have scored 23 goals in four games, one would think that the coach should have a plan B when facing a team that obviously has our number. Maybe play some NY Islanders defense (only against Montreal, hate that kind of hockey) against a team that scores like this.

A change of tactics would be refreshing Mr. Green. Adapt and overcome.

This is where we measure coaching.  Our power play should be a difference maker.  Play 5 on 5 even Steven and let the power play win the hockey game.  5 more games against the Habs we can’t afford to win less than half.

Montreal wasn't dominant last night. It was probably a 3-2 game if we weren't constantly shooting ourselves in the foot with egregious turnovers & sloppy coverage. We've had moments where we give MTL just an inch & they take a mile.

The Habs are a bad matchup w/ how they attack, but the key for us is to hyper focus on the details defensively (like you do in playoffs), and committing to structure over risk - specifically supporting the puck - when we are moving up ice. 

Special teams also need to be better, but I know we can be better than that, just gotta flush last night & bring a more dialed in effort.

34 minutes ago, Bo Dega said:

So Habs have scored 23 goals in four games, one would think that the coach should have a plan B when facing a team that obviously has our number. Maybe play some NY Islanders defense (only against Montreal, hate that kind of hockey) against a team that scores like this.

trying those tactics with this lineup would be like entering a Clydesdale horse in the Kentucky Derby....

10 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

haha, no, but maybe? I don't know. Tossing those OTT wins aside, the Canucks aren't as good this year. 

Without those OTT gimmes, they would be 3-6, with one of those wins coming by way of a shootout.  Could easily have been 2-7.

Pffft. - what is, is  ........ without our 3 gimmies to MTL we'd be anead of them in the standings by at least 4 points 

49 minutes ago, Bo Dega said:

At some point in their development this Canuck group will have to be able to play a defensive game like the NYI's can. They are a far ways from that right now. The only team I have seen that can win Cups with 'run & gun' were Gretzky's Oilers. Even the great Habs teams could play defense. I actually think that Markstrom had to go so that this group would be exposed for their weaknesses he was covering up. 

Get the idea that the d-core is playing the same game that Baumgartner tried to play in the NHL? Nothing wrong with that when offence is needed but I can just imagine what Cherry or Meeker would have said when Myers turns the puck back into the corner with 30 seconds left in a game instead of chipping it out on the boards. 

Edited by Boudrias
  • Thanks 1
  • Vintage 2

17 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Yeah I get the pessimistic approach. We seem to get slaughtered when we lose. However I don’t take away any wins. How upset would you be if they lost even one of those games to Ottawa? I mean really it’s pretty tough to beat even the worst of teams 4 straight 

Edit: I guess it was 3

Edited by Devron44