The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Toronto Maple Laffs | February 4, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Weren’t we supposed to fight? 

We need a Simmonds of our own.

Too bad Ferland is injured.

Probably the one free agent I was looking forward to the most.

Dude was a game change for Calgary in the Playoffs against us.

• Cheers 1

We have had 4 years of Green 

sub 500

we caught lightning in a bottle in 2 playoff rounds carried by our goalies covering sins 

look at the body of work over 4 years

its just not there and it culminates in performances like tonight. It has become the norm this year 

we are constantly getting blown out  

2 minutes ago, combover said:

scouting staff was fantastic and his ego let them walk 

before judd -  JV OJ . 
A talent scout doesn’t miss with 90% of his ufa signing on top of that. Both term and $$$
and that doesn’t even cover the guys who’ve walked away from this team or his inability to manage or fore see the Cap issues he was setting himself up with.

he assembled this team his it’s his  second coach 

he’s a terrible GM and the sooner he gone the  better. 

Lol. 
Unlike most GMs GB wasn’t brought in to just change and draft players. He was brought in to change the whole culture of the organization. Obviously you are just looking at minute details. 

Edited by spur1

1 minute ago, J-Strap said:

Vancouver press covering the Nucks suck wind....the questions aren't even worth the spit out of their mouth...Green gets a pass every time....they need to embarrass him like the players embarrass themselves.

Yeah, I stop watching the post press cause it is just a bunch of softballs (like when I was listening to 1040 a few days ago after the Montreal games and most of the guest were defending Green then putting it on the players - imo, it is a little of both)..

• Cheers 1

Just now, VancouverHabitant said:

Are you really comparing contracts signed this off-season to the off-seasons in the past?  Apples and oranges. 

Yes.

Veteran players of all types and skillsets have been signing league minimum deals since the 2005 CBA.

1 minute ago, combover said:

scouting staff was fantastic and his ego let them walk 

before judd -  JV OJ . 
A talent scout doesn’t miss with 90% of his ufa signing on top of that. Both term and $$$
and that doesn’t even cover the guys who’ve walked away from this team or his inability to manage or fore see the Cap issues he was setting himself up with.

he assembled this team his it’s his  second coach 

he’s a terrible GM and the sooner he gone the  better. 

There’s no way he gets to select a third coaching staff. He’s had more time than Gillis. It’s time. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

I don’t think this is a coaching issue. It’s a personnel issue and this falls right at the feet of Jim Benning. All those ridiculous contracts he handed out to Sutter Erickson Beagle Rousell Myers are costing this team big time. If it weren’t for those contracts we could of easily of retained Tofolli Markstrom and Tanev. I mean what is Green supposed to do with fringe players like Chatfield and Juolevi? Not even impressed with Nate Schmitt and Myers has stunk since he got here. The only NHL guys Green has on the backend is Hughes and Edler.   The bottom 6 forwards minus Motte are lazy. Jake shouldn’t have been resigned as he just doesn’t get it.  Rousel was good when he was banging bodies and agitating but that side of his game has disappeared. Pearson is getting a little too comfortable don’t see him pushing to be better. I’m okay with Hoglander Petey Boeser Horvat and Miller that’s about it but they can’t carry a forward group. The giveaways have been horrendous and well this isn’t necessarily the goalies fault Holtby is below average and Demko isn’t Markstrom where we can hang him out to dry and expect big save after save. Get Benning out of here and let’s start cleaning house and if it means a step back this year so be it. Let’s get some guys with some work ethic. End of rant. Sorry about the grammar. 

• Cheers 3
  • Huggy Bear 1

4 minutes ago, Alain Vigneault said:

What's this, a veteran player on 700K made the difference tonight?

But I was told those types of vets are impossible to sign?  I was told you had to pay 3M for veterans and that was fair market value.

Odd...something not adding up here...

Beagle was brought in to win faceoffs and kill penalties. I knew the day he signed that contract, it was a horrendous deal, especially for a guy who was pushing 34 yrs old. 

But hey, who cares right? Because he won a Cup and we had cap space, at that time

• Upvote 1

Just now, Alain Vigneault said:

Yes.

Veteran players of all types and skillsets have been signing league minimum deals since the 2005 CBA.

They only sign those with teams that are cup contenders.  We are not and were not even a playoff team when we signed our veterans.  

Have you watched the games?  Our bottom 6 have been our best players this season!  It's sad, really. 

1 minute ago, J-23 said:

We need a Simmonds of our own.

Too bad Ferland is injured.

Probably the one free agent I was looking forward to the most.

Dude was a game change for Calgary in the Playoffs against us.

The entire team needs a mental reset. A pack mentality. They rarely react to cheap shots. I have a hard time believing that it’s a personnel issue. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

This team got to play the Ducks,Sharks,Kings and Coyotes in their division last year, and were trending out of, and would have been out of the playoffs in a regular 82 game year.

Then lost Toffoli, Markstrom and Tanev.

The roster just isn’t good fellas. It wasn’t to start the year and it sure as hell isn’t now. And to top it off they’re playing in a killer of a division.

Edited by Zhukini
  • Upvote 1