The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Predators interested in Adam Gaudette

7 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

At least he knew how to play hockey.  Baumgartner can't do either...

Did you ever see Baumer play or are you not old enough?  I remember Baumer and he was a decent defenceman on the smaller side and he was known for having a good first pass out of the D zone.  He was a bubble guy like so many that play the game but he had a fair share of NHL games.  How about you? 

If Baumer was playing in the modern NHL, he would have been much more successful.  He played during the era of the big brutish D man (and he was on the small side for that time) and players could clutch, hook and grab to their heart's content.  He was a good skater and a good 6 or 7 D-man.

• Cheers 3

2 hours ago, Maginator said:

It's been said over and over again that the cap was projected to go up. Benning was planning on having more cap than anticipated. No one can predict Covid.

1 hour ago, canuck73_3 said:

This, I don't get why this is so casually ignored.

100%

at the time of the 2020 trade deadline the cap was supposed to go up to 86m or so and that would have solved a lot of these problems and it would have a little easier to move money out in the summer. 

BUT it’s on benning not being able to adapt and make something happen. Also, mismanagement of contract negotiations and not multitasking is on him. No excuses 

Ownership didn’t OK a buyout, I wouldn’t have done that either, but it would have been a hockey decision to not sweeten a trade with eriksson or sutter to unload them so that one is on benning

Its also ABSOLUTE worst case scenario these players are in our division, torching us and we play them 10 times each :picard:

it’s the perfect storm to gang up on benning....after last year everyone was warming up to him with the teams performance, Miller trade and pettersson/hughes being legit stars 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Just now, sockeye said:

Did you ever see Baumer play or are you not old enough?  I remember Baumer and he was a decent defenceman on the smaller side and he was known for having a good first pass out of the D zone.  He was a bubble guy like so many that play the game but he had a fair share of NHL games.  How about you? 

If Baumer was playing in the modern NHL, he would have been much more successful.  He played during the era of the big brutish D man (and he was on the small side for that time) and players could clutch, hook and grab to their heart's content.  He was a good skater and a good 6 or 7 D-man.

He was terrible at defending, go figure..

31 minutes ago, billabong said:

100%

at the time of the 2020 trade deadline the cap was supposed to go up to 86m or so and that would have solved a lot of these problems and it would have a little easier to move money out in the summer. 

This is such a huge cop out and complete revisionist history.  At the Board of Governors meeting in December 2019 they were told to expect a flat cap or minimal increase.

Benning signed those deals with the cap expected to be fairly flat due to already high escrow and that it would only rise if the players used their escalator clause.  That $86 million number came out as the league was shutting down in 2020 due to COVID and was not anticipated when he signed those dreadful contracts back in the summer of 2019.  You are using a future event (unknown to him at the time since he isn’t a Time Lord) to explain his actions almost a year earlier to justify why they weren’t bad.

“They had their interpretation of what they heard from Gary Bettman. A number of different ranges, but one governor saying to me that the low range is $82.5M, which is just $1M more than the current cap of $81.5M. That’s what his team will budget for, and if it is higher so be it, but they are going to be conservative. I had another governor tell me $83.5M is what he thinks it is probably going to be. I think teams are going to be cautious this time around.” – Pierre LeBrun, TSN

- December 2019 BOG meeting 

Edited by Provost

46 minutes ago, sockeye said:

Yes I'm old enough to have watched Baumer play as I grew up watching the Oilers with Gretzky.  I've seen a few good defecemen during that time.  Baumgartner wasn't one of them.  He played in one full NHL season and bounced around on 6 different NHL teams and 5 different AHL teams.  I can't believe we are even having this conversation.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yes I'm old enough to have watched Baumer play as I grew up watching the Oilers with Gretzky.  I've seen a few good defecemen during that time.  Baumgartner wasn't one of them.  He played in one full NHL season and bounced around on 6 different NHL teams and 5 different AHL teams.  I can't believe we are even having this conversation.

To be fair... Gretzky wasn't the best coach :lol:

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Sbriggs said:

You know Jake has done nothing this year, sick of waiting for him to pan out. Ya maybe his goals are moving in the right direction but his play is invisible, too many mistakes and unfortunately thats the only time he's visible. I wish Jake all the best and hope where ever he goes he has success.

You all need to be patient and wait for the playoffs for Jake to shine.

Playoff Jake.  Bank it.

:bigblush:

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Over the course of this thread @PhillipBlunt and @aGENT went from a hockey debate, to a snarky argument and now to a meme war.

JYD has entered the battle.

Image result for i fart in your general direction your mother was a hamster

2 hours ago, Salacious Crumb said:

Blunt and Agent are lightweights. This purse-swinging is nothing compared to a Baggins vs  Forsberg.

regards,  G.

6 hours ago, J-P said:

I get that and I'm not saying the 3rd line needs to produce more with the current roster makeup (although with motte the 4th line is on another level). So guess what I'm saying is i don't get the thinking from the coaches. If the 3rd line is a defensive line, what's Gaudette doing there?

Personally I hope we have the players to ice a 3rd line soon that can provide offense, but right now it's obvious both from stats and the eye test that Gaudette should be top six or out of the lineup and that the 3rd line needs either a playmaking winger who can still play defense (unfortunately Hoglander and Baertschi are all we have i suppose) or just a player that won't hurt defense a la MacEwen or Virtanen but without expectations to score.

Not saying this is why we're losing, for once +/- makes sense and you only need to look at that + PP percentage to see why, but it still makes me feel uneasy about coaching decisions.

I agree with you.  I don't think Gaudette has been ready to play center - perhaps the reason they have him on the 3rd line is the idea that you go with who you perceive to be your best players - sometimes Gaudette looks like he belongs in the lineup, often he doesn't.  I've looked at it as a development sacrifice of sorts - riding out some growing pains hoping he might take the next step.  But I think it's a good time to deal him - because really, as a RW he's arguably at the position of the most young depth - so altering the balance somewhere else probably makes sense.  If they could get a comparable natural center playing LW, then they may have a succession for Pearson or Roussel....

3 hours ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Still an important factor - especially for a free agent to be.  

true - and especially when he's been injured as much as he has been here - it reduces his sample, it arguably degrades what he can command in free agency - so from a personal/individual viewpoint, he has an interest in performing to 'prove'/show what he's (still) capable of - and staying healthy  - but I think in fairness to him, we've seen constant intervals of his game raising, getting up to speed, and then an injury - and cycles of it.  He's never really leveled out / declined the way a few team-mate veteran wingers have - so I wouldn't reduce him playing well in the present to a contract year.

38 minutes ago, oldnews said:

true - and especially when he's been injured as much as he has been here - it reduces his sample, it arguably degrades what he can command in free agency - so from a personal/individual viewpoint, he has an interest in performing to 'prove'/show what he's (still) capable of - and staying healthy  - but I think in fairness to him, we've seen constant intervals of his game raising, getting up to speed, and then an injury - and cycles of it.  He's never really leveled out / declined the way a few team-mate veteran wingers have - so I wouldn't reduce him playing well in the present to a contract year.

My only point is that there are many cases, were an athlete tends to have an uptick in performance leading up to there FA and with Sutter we will just have to wait what a team will be willing to commit to sign him - great discussion.

Edited by ShawnAntoski

4 hours ago, billabong said:

100%

BUT it’s on benning not being able to adapt and make something happen. Also, mismanagement of contract negotiations and not multitasking is on him. No excuses 

Ownership didn’t OK a buyout, I wouldn’t have done that either, but it would have been a hockey decision to not sweeten a trade with eriksson or sutter to unload them so that one is on benning

Its also ABSOLUTE worst case scenario these players are in our division, torching us and we play them 10 times each :picard:

it’s the perfect storm to gang up on benning....after last year everyone was warming up to him with the teams performance, Miller trade and pettersson/hughes being legit stars 

The low end was 84M and several executives and NHLPA representatives already felt it was too optimistic.  Players hate escrow and the cap was already artificially too high so they weren’t looking to increase it as much.  The league projects with the full escalator but that’s at the players’ discretion.

Last season the league had projected 83M and they ended up settling on 81.5M.  So several executives were already going about the projections more prudently knowing what happened last year and escrow remaining an issue.

Edited by mll

14 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

I don't understand wanting to trade Gaudette. He's young, plays C and Wing, fast, has size, can hit, can score. 

I don't get you saying that he's got size, as he's lucky to weigh 180lbs, and can't keep weight on.....and because of that, he doesn't make much of an impact when he hits someone. He's tenacious, I'll give him that. The Canucks need to get heavier though, and if he can't stick at centre, which is a much more valuable asset to have, then he should be used in a package deal to try and get a younger asset/assets.