The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Winnipeg Jets | February 21, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | SNP NHLN

Rate this topic

-SN-

Hughes, Boeser, Petey and Holtby were never going to save anything defensively. Come on Green, it's all well and good to put your best offensive players out there but no one on the ice knows how to defend. At least mix it up with Petey Bo and Hughes, or Petey Hughes and Myers. Just stupid unsurprising move by the coaches to start OT, playing 3 weak defensive players against 3 solid two way players and that's what happens. 

On the whole a tight game could have gone either way and we were lucky to get a point. Petey was great obviously, Boeser quiet and Miller had some nice offensive sparks but let us down on the 1st goal.

2nd line was about as solid/quiet as usual, great forechecking but little offensive flair. Hogs again had an impactful night for better or for worse.

3rd and 4th lines were brilliant, Beagle's line looks good and deserves more ice time in the future.

Defence was pretty tight tonight, no odd man rushes and kept everything more or less to the outside. Edler and Schmidt moved the puck quickly but got caught by a fast play on the 1st goal. Hughes didn't get caught defensively all game until the OT winner and had a strong game. Benn looked like a fool on the 3rd goal but was solid otherwise, and IMO Myers and Juolevi were our safest, calmest pair on the ice and hope they stick so they can generate some chemistry. 

I think Holtby really lost us this game, can't fault him on the 1st goal but the rest were just dreadful. 2nd goal the for just shouldn't happen, the defence is angling the forward off to the side so he gets a half-shot away from the side and it leaks through, just brutal goal to lose the lead. Then the 3rd goal goes straight through Benn and Holtby, no Jets players. Blame Benn as well but even then, should be stopping a point shot from a 1 man screen so far away. The OT winner was tricky, I think good goalies would have stopped that but we did let PLD just walk right in, but still from a bad angle.

I wonder if this is one we could have taken 2 points if the goalies were swapped but nevermind, we knew we'd lose games on goal tending this season and this is one of them.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Sad 1

Sucks to lose, but still a pretty entertaining game. Petey looks hungry and competent again. 
I’ve accepted that we’re probably looking at next year at this point. I just wish Toronto gets mass injuries and lose every game from here on out. It’s too much to have them playing great and us sucking.

7 minutes ago, aznmonk said:

Hindsight we should of not signed a goalie should of hired the zambonii driver and ride demo all year long and we could of kept tanev and tofolli

Yeah hindsight, all of JBs' addition this offseason other than rookies had struggled; Bergevin on the other hand can do no wrong - I have a good feeling that the way the Canucks luck is going this season that this will be the year we get our first ever first over all pick...

I agree that the team should be riding Demmer and the staff should stop playing mind games with him

Edited by ShawnAntoski

6 minutes ago, CanucksCountry said:

That's a pretty $&!# opinion, analytically he's been one of our best Dman this year   

That has to be a joke. I don't care about analytics. Schmidt has scored against our own net more times than on the other (4 to 2 if we're counting). His own goal tonight also starts with a terrible play at the offensive blue line by him, and a terrible back check. He's lazy, has a terrible first pass, and incredibly low IQ. He's been exactly the opposite of what he was in Vegas and what was announced he would be for us this year. 

I'd much rather give the hard assignments to Olli. He's been our steadiest dman all year alongside Myers (and trust me I had a huge problem with Myers at the start of the season and during the regular season last year). 

Schmidt is a good player, who's playing terribly on a new team. Either he turns it around, or don't be surprised to see him traded. 

Edited by HorvatToBaertschi
  • Like 1