The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Ottawa Senators | March 15, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

14 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Dial it back Canucks fans.

Let’s just take it one game at a time. He doesn’t need to be compared to hall of famers. Just be happy we have what looks like a legit starter again.

Yes. I agree, just haven’t seen games stolen like this since mid 90’s dominator. 

17 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

He has had a stanley cup and had a pretty good year last year. He's making 4 million now. He will want the max he can get. I think he will want 4 million. Even 3.5 is a lot for multiple years. His play will likely decline here on out.

I thought it was a "what have you done lately" league?  If so, he'll be affordable, no?

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Convincing John said:

Yes. I agree, just haven’t seen games stolen like this since mid 90’s dominator. 

Luongo.

And I wouldn’t compare any young goalie to him.

Let’s just let him keep shining without the comparisons. And maybe if we’re lucky fans will be comparing young goalies to him one day!

Edited by DeNiro
  • Haha 1

For all the griping I’m seeing across social media, I’ve only seen it mentioned once or twice that we’ve gone on this run without our best player.  

Normally, that would be the storyline... but of course this is Vancouver so everyone was a lot more comfortable doing terrible and dreaming about a top 10 pick and 1-2 extra draft picks from selling at the deadline. So fans and media are miserable.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2

Just now, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

He has a stanley cup. He is a veteran and has proved a lot in his career. A lot different than the Virtanen situation. Not even close really. I think he has a lot of leverage even with this off year.

so, just to be clear.  Jake is the only one held to the "what have you done for me lately" standard?  That doesn't apply to Pearson because?

• Cheers 1

44 minutes ago, Wilfred said:

Expecting many lectures from the usual posters explaining how nope, this consistent type of performance, 4th game against Ottawa where they dominate us 5 on 5 is strictly ALL on the players. It's not on the coach to get his team ready. It's not on the coaches to gameplan effectively. It's not on the coaches to have systems both defensively and offensively that doesn't have the team getting dominated night in and night out. Getting massively outshot night in and night out. Outchanced night in and night out.

None of that is on our coaches and everything is on the players 100% of the time. The coaches might as well be responsible for absolutely nothing. They just exist to do nothing. 

To repeat, this horrible Ottawa team for the 4th straight game this season has dominated the Canucks at 5 on 5 hockey. They have absolutely no issue getting out of their zone defensively, and have a heyday in our zone. All on the players. Which is why Ottawa is such a great te-. No. Actually, they're one of the absolute worst teams in the league having their way with us. 

Well Wilfred, tell us how you really feel? 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Just because were winning it doesn’t exempt this team from criticism. 

Especially when the biggest reason, almost the only reason, we’re winning is because of one goalie. 

If you’ve watched most of last season with Markstrom and Demko’s run this year it is almost the same. Team is way too reliant on elite goaltending to win games. So this is nothing new. 

Take away Demko playing elite then I don’t like our chances winning. I think that’s an issue.

I would like to see this team take the next step  but if we don’t figure out how to play better in front of our goalies we won’t take that step or sustain any long term success. 

Exactly this. Wins can and should be critiqued, and poor performances by most of the team should be criticized. Winning doesn't magically erase the areas in which the team needs to improve.

We won tonight largely thanks to Demko, though our PK was admittedly pretty solid as well. But for the most part we were outplayed by what was likely a tired Sens team, that's not good enough. 

• Sad 1

Just now, Bure2Win said:

Can you imagine Demko on a Stanley Cup contender?  Talk about a slam dunk for him, but alas the poor guy is stuck with us.   lol

Bring in Coach Gallant and things will change..

Demmer will lead us to a cup in Gallants system

• Sad 1