The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Toronto Maple Leafs l April 29, 4:30 p.m. l SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

36 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I am not an ageist. Him being 72 is irrelevent to me. He has tons of experience and knows how to surround himself with quality people. I would far prefer an experienced GM over another assistant GM getting his first gig.

Maybe you should poll Carolina fans first? That said he does seem to stick where ever he goes. 

18 minutes ago, guntrix said:

Wasn't going there. Logically-speaking, you'd think that the three years where X team has their star players on ELCs should be the years with relatively higher cap flexibility. The fact that we're struggling to ice a competitive team because we're up against the cap (while having Pettersson and Hughes on ELCs) is a scary thought. 

While I’m excited for Elias’ and Quinn’s future, they’re just not tops at their position just yet. 

I could list off about 20-30 dmen that would help you win more then Quinn this very instant.  There’s probably 15 centres that I would take over Elias for a playoff game today. 

I know you’re talking about just being competitive, so I get you there. It’s just been parroted a lot by the media over the last two years that a team has to go for it while your best players are on ELCs but it just makes no sense especially when you’re in early days of a rebuild. 

Tampa Bay’s top players were Point, Hedman and Vasy. 
St Louis top guys were O’Reilly, Binnington (ELC), Tarasenko, Pietrangelo. 

Washington had Ovechkin, Holtby and Carlson. 

2 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Lol no they werent bud. They only got in because of a play in. Then played well against St Louis who did not play well at all. Then got dominated by Vegas and only held on due to other world goaltending by Demko. Thats not truly playoff competitive.

Lol and life sucks right? Do you also think they putting tracking devices in the vaccines to track u?... Brutal post man. SMH.

This group earned everything and was 1 period away from the West final... We saw THREE thrilling series and from all that excitement and amazing games, during a lockdown, you somehow turn it into a bad thing and say we got lucky to get in? That series against minny pushed the team to the limits. 

Dominated but made it go game 7? Looolololol 

Bad post amigo. 

Edited by apollo
  • Haha 1
  • Vintage 3

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

thats the difference between a partial re-tool and a tear down. We really never have been on a full tank mode, we were just bad and had something similar in results. Thats why I have to laugh when I see people say Benning has been rebuilding for 7 years, that hasn't been the plan at all. 

People seem to forget that Aquilini wanted to go for it with the Sedins.  Why else would JB have signed LE to that 6yr contract?  Then it was a partial retool by bringing in vets/placeholders while JB had to draft young talent (remember that the prospect cupboard was bare).

In my opinion, the real rebuild started when the Sedins retired.

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, BPA said:

People seem to forget that Aquilini wanted to go for it with the Sedins.  Why else would JB have signed LE to that 6yr contract?  Then it was a partial retool by bringing in vets/placeholders while JB had to draft young talent (remember that the prospect cupboard was bare).

In my opinion, the real rebuild started when the Sedins retired.

The re-tool was a bad idea.   Fortunately JB crew managed it regardless.   And i'm sure it wasn't just by luck.    Otherwise we'd be like Holland's Red Wings.   With Larkin, Mantha and Bertuzzi and holding our you know what in our hands.   Accidental or on purpose the core has mostly already been drafted.    And that's the hard part done. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

While I’m excited for Elias’ and Quinn’s future, they’re just not tops at their position just yet. 

I could list off about 20-30 dmen that would help you win more then Quinn this very instant.  There’s probably 15 centres that I would take over Elias for a playoff game today. 

I know you’re talking about just being competitive, so I get you there. It’s just been parroted a lot by the media over the last two years that a team has to go for it while your best players are on ELCs but it just makes no sense especially when you’re in early days of a rebuild. 

Tampa Bay’s top players were Point, Hedman and Vasy. 
St Louis top guys were O’Reilly, Binnington (ELC), Tarasenko, Pietrangelo. 

Washington had Ovechkin, Holtby and Carlson. 

It just doesn't happen with enough regularity (one time, with CHI first cup and that's it) for GMs to get much grief for timing it wrong.   Curiously both CAR and VAN played around the same many playoff games with their next core on their ELC's...now look at CAR.   Does offer some hope doesn't it?   And CAR is on their third rebuild now.    Plus we still have three years of Podz and a couple with Hogs.   It's not all over yet.   Personally see us as having two windows.   One opening once Luongo's and LE's contract is done with Schmidt, Myers, Horvat and Miller.   And the peak window when EP and QHs are 26+ and Horvat playing the Stamkos to Points EP.     On it's not over yet ... because it hasn't even started yet.   EDM was one of the best dynasties the league has ever seen.   With the best forward ever, and one of the best D's and money goalies ever too.   How old were they when they won their first cup anyways?    The other two dynasties were also in that 26-32 age group as well. 

Edited by IBatch