The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Toronto Maple Leafs l May 1, 4 p.m. l SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

3 hours ago, Googlie said:

For Tram ro match his after-tax Ekaterinburg earnings hed be asking for $3.25 x 1 or $3 x 2 (given that escrow would likely be lower in year 2). I'm sure JB didnt want to go that high

Was that only to match?

5 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Gillis left the remnants of a near championship team. He blew at scouting and drafting. Benning excels at drafting and scouting and is extremely questionable as a team builder. Benning has had seven years to get this team into some semblance of contention or at the very least consistency.

Seven years is more than enough time. He should be replaced this summer. As should the coaching staff. Clean slate. Nothing personal.

Building a solid supporting cast for the great young core we have is the #1 priority at this stage.  JB has failed miserably at doing that so far, letting guys like Toffoli walk and then dumpster diving for cast-offs to try and fill empty spots.  He has also failed to set a clear vision of  where the team is headed sometimes making moves that only a real contender would that come at significant cost.  Add to that a team that has no identiry or cohesiveness and JB has not earned the opportunity to fix his own mess.  

Edited by DIBdaQUIB
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, gurn said:

do you know what was offered?

Traded away, not threw.

It's not public, so no. My guess is we offered close to league minimum at 1-1.25M, so he could "re-prove" himself and play bottom 6 role. He probably wanted 3-4M saying he has already shown what he can do. 

14 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

There are still some things to smile about today.

5D4CC669-E40D-48A0-896D-820931BD4360.jpeg

But the league really could use the bounce they will get from a Leafs cup win this year. I am willing to bet you will see the officiating tilted alot in their favor in the playoffs.

We are already getting a preview of it the last few games against Van. Letting them get away with a ton and calling the other team for even less serious stuff.

You will see a lot of pp time for the Leafs in the playoffs imo.

34 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

To sign even more bad contracts for 3 or 4 years? No thanks.

Benning was left a dumpster fire by Gillis. Lets give someone new a clean slate and significant cap space to work with.

Benning and Weisbrod need to go.

Where does this get you?

New GM would have to see what he's got. Is 11 games going to do that? 

Then there's the choices of the Expansion Draft.

Then 2021 Draft.

Then Free agency.

How much change will a new GM do? A prudent GM will try to get deals that makes sense.

But not make serious moves. Yet.

He'd probably have to see if a new coaching staff corrects some of the existing issues.

So you are probably looking at 1/4 to 1/2 of the new season regardless before BIG moves might be done. 

If you haven't noticed. It's taken Yzerman almost 2 years before he made his first big trade with Detroit. 

(Anthony Mantha)

Are you going to be more patient with a new GM? 

• Cheers 3

1 minute ago, wallstreetamigo said:

But the league really could use the bounce they will get from a Leafs cup win this year. I am willing to bet you will see the officiating tilted alot in their favor in the playoffs.

We are already getting a preview of it the last few games against Van. Letting them get away with a ton and calling the other team for even less serious stuff.

You will see a lot of pp time for the Leafs in the playoffs imo.

The league would love to see that for sure. I just don’t see them going too far if they make it out of the North. Even last night I thought the Canucks were pretty even for the first period and a half.  Leafs didn’t look like they could beat a four line team with a decent defence. I know the score didn’t reflect it but I thought Ottawa were harder to play against.

44 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I disagree with "remnants of a championship team". It was more like remnants of a team that was broken emotionally by the Bruins, Kings, and Sharks and was never going to get back to the top.

Fair enough. Would you say broken emotionally or mentally? 

1 hour ago, JDLax16 said:

I wouldn’t piss on Jim Benning to save him from a fire. 

I believe the saying goes “I wouldn’t piss on (insert name of reviled person here) if they were on fire.”  

The way you’ve written it, it sounds like you believe that giving someone a golden shower is a step in the prevention of human immolation. 

”Careful Jim! There’s a lot of fire over there. Here let me help you”. Zip. 

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I believe the saying goes “I wouldn’t piss on (insert name of reviled person here) if they were on fire.”  

The way you’ve written it, it sounds like you believe that giving someone a golden shower is a step in the prevention of human immolation. 

”Careful Jim! There’s a lot of fire over there. Here let me help you”. Zip. 

I wrote it wrong- $&!# happens

But still not piss

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, billabong said:

I believe podkolzin’s contract expired April 30th….

how long till fans freak out that he’ll re-sign in the KHL?

id say 2-3 more days because he’s a HUGE part of adding some cheap skill to this team 

He’s not going to be here for the end of the season. He’ll be playing in the world championship so it doesn’t make sense to sign him till after the season. But ya people will freak out I’m sure lol