The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Toronto Maple Leafs l May 1, 4 p.m. l SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I do agree with that, but tbh I think I've finally lost any hope that Benning is the right guy moving forward. He's made some great moves in our prospect talent but frankly I don't trust him going forward to make the number of moves needed to get this team into contention. Its always 2 forward, 1 back or 2 forward 2 back with Jim.

I don't have the pitchforks out, but if Aquilini announced a new GM tomorrow I'd be just fine with it, mostly because I think Jim has taken this team as far as his abilities will allow. We need a better negotiator and pro-talent evaluator from this point forward mo anyway. 

I think, this is, what we are all slowly moving towards. I have supported JB all the way, and will continue to support him, but if he was replaced, I would not go bananas... Same with Green and his staff for that matter. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

Haha so management saw Tryamkin the same way most of Twitter did... (calling him a marginal NHL defender whose only attribute is “size”) but they’re going to get the pitchforks out because... JB agreed with them? 

I’m disappointed, though - I thought it was worth a twirl for sure. Too bad.

• Vintage 2

8 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

I still feel he was just using us as leverage to get a better deal where he didn't want to leave (additional perks in the form of 'under the table' money not covered by their "cap").

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

31 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

Unbelievable 

In Benning we trust apparently...add this as another piss poor move to his illustrious resume! Sign old man Edler for more $$ instead I guess!?

Sad to hear but I knew it was over when we didn't sign him last summer when we knew we had a weak D core and lost Tanev. Oh well, I don't like what this team is doing but I have no control...all I can do is cheer for them till the day I die and hope they win a Cup before I'm dead or at least not a wrinkly old senior who would likely die of a hard attack if they won!

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I do agree with that, but tbh I think I've finally lost any hope that Benning is the right guy moving forward. He's made some great moves in our prospect talent but frankly I don't trust him going forward to make the number of moves needed to get this team into contention. Its always 2 forward, 1 back or 2 forward 2 back with Jim.

I don't have the pitchforks out, but if Aquilini announced a new GM tomorrow I'd be just fine with it, mostly because I think Jim has taken this team as far as his abilities will allow. We need a better negotiator and pro-talent evaluator from this point forward mo anyway. 

I’m about in the same boat. Everyone knows Toffoli was a mistake. Even the biggest JB supporters can’t get around that. My saving grace there was no buyouts cause we would be only worse off this off-season had he not signed JV and bought someone out. I do feel for that situation though, if covid shutdown didn’t happen 2 weeks later after that trade it never happens and we know about the flat cap. 

I like this core and unlike 80% of the wannabes I’m patient enough for them to grow. But I’m worried what we do with the rest of the cap space. 

There’s no pitchforks for me on anyone here this year. It’s just a crap year with so many things that have pushed us to make tough decisions.

I’m neutral on JB now. He can either fix this or it could really unravel here. This off-season is a big test for him.

• Cheers 2
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

Have the terms of NT’s contract been posted somewhere? Am I missing something? I don’t get how people are offering up opinions about JB’s handling of this without knowing these things. One of the biggest criticisms is overpayment, term and NMCs so maybe we should wait until we know.

It seems like there’s enough debatable moves by the GM without pulling stuff out of our arses. 

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Yeah, hindsight has not been kind to most of his signings of support type players for the (main) reasons of mentoring; hopefully, Pearson will be the exception of someone who can also contribute on the ice as well. 

The Laffs/Dubas seems to had gone with a more effective approach by going after talented former first line forwards like: Thornton & Spezza to short term low value contracts (700k each) for mentoring/sheltering reasons that also has the talent to still be effective on the ice.

Imo, JB & Weisbrods' cap mismanagements has certainly hurt the team - with hindsight - but the game day deployment & strategies are on the coaches and (of course) the execution are on the players.    The team has two options to improve: more roster tinkering or a strategy change, which one is cheaper ?  Preferably, I would like to see this roster with a different staff before any trades (although, at this point it is looking like the PR department is already trying to trade JV and is just waiting for the offseason), Aquaman hires a team president that can work/complement JBs' drafting in filling the roster and ALL THE FA WALKS.  

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Vintage 1

Nikita is not a rookie anymore, he's 26 and in his prime! In my mind, not really a question mark either... he's played enough for us to know what he brings.

He's a hulking D man that can skate surprisingly well for his size. He uses his stick and size to defend and keep guys to the outside. Willing to drop the gloves and stick up for his team mates. Limited offensive upside, but can wear down opponents playing big minutes.

We probably lowballed him for a tryout style contract and in the end ended up with nothing. Not even a late rounder to negotiate somewhere else.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

So define "big money". 

Whatever he asked for, it was too much in the team's eyes.  So are we now upset because we're NOT giving out more than what is warranted?  I'm confused.  Damned if they do/don't.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, SNuck said:

For two years at least. After that we can transition to 'Sign UFA Tramkin plz'. 

“Bring back Tree.” If I had a dollar for every time that was posted around here the last few years..

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Devron44 said:

I’m taking Quinn Hughes and Pettersson this year. What’s wrong with Petey? Quinn Hughes is horrible? Not a defencemen?

Or what about first year Captian last year hmm shouldn’t it be Miller? Oh wait Miller is this years trash. 

It was Brock Boeser last year too. Trade him he’s done

Cant wait for the disappointment when Podkolzin gets here and he needs a few years to figure out his and the NA game 

It will be the same with your 7th overall pick this year 

No patience with with this fan base. I can understand that but this is the kinda crap that’s really disappointing 

Yeah - Gadjovich is a bust.  I'm calling it here. - he's going to go the next 6 days without a point.  Mark my words  

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

the constant whining is tiresome for sure, it would be one thing if there was an actual good point int there or something to learn from, but its just a firehose of negativity. Other posters have far better insights into whats wrong, or sometimes right, with this coaching staff. 

--

Started looking back on this year already, and its pretty clear no team with the start we had was going to recover, covid or not. We don't have the horses to make up games when things get serious in the last 1/4 of a season. 

Is this years poor start on Green? thats the main question I'd like a thoughtful discussion around, not the vitriolic stuff that gets sprayed around. 

Our biggest issues imo are missing talent in a few key areas in the roster. Its a critical offseason for this team to upgrade 3C, more speed and size in the top 9, and I'd even go as far as one more top 4 d. Jim's got a lot of work ahead of him. 

IMHO the biggest issue with the Canucks is on the d-side game. The centre’s have given the club superior FO % and thusly puck possession. Opposing teams generate significant ozone TOI. It was a bit better than last year but still weak. IMO the talent is there. It forces me to question the coaching. The positives this year have been Hoglander  and Demko. 

Play the season out. Play the prospects. Draft well on 1&2 and come back in the fall. Resign Sutter. Move on from Rous and Beagle. The waiver wire pickups and Haymore will have to compete for a spot in the fall. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3