The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Calgary Flames | May 16, 2021 | 7:30 p.m. PT | SNP | PLAYOFF SERIES VS CALGARY EDITION

Rate this topic

-SN-

21 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Exactly.

Fans willing to trade 20 minutes of entertainment for what could very well be missing out on a franchise defenseman.

I can’t believe how many people are happy about that.

You nor I have ANY control over it, so don't worry too much. This is the toy department of life. 

• Cheers 3

Just now, DeNiro said:

Because rankings are always right.

There will be a franchise defenseman there just like almost every year. 

We won’t get a chance to find out though.

Exactly, it isn't obvious the best defenseman will be drafted in the top 5 anyways, otherwise there would be a unanimous #1 OV. You've made my point.

Would it be nice to have as high a pick as possible, yeah sure. But this year is anything but clear. The guy we'd want with the 4th or 5th pick might be there at 7 or 8 anyways. Rankings are even more all over the map.

• Cheers 3

9 minutes ago, DontMessMe said:

Cant believe people here are cheering for wins... we have officially screwed ourselves over for drafting Brandt fking Clarke 

If you've been a Canucks fan long enough, you know tanking has never worked for us.

• Vintage 3

4 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

This draft is such an unknown talent wise, I don't think it matters if we draft 5th or 9th or 12th...they all should be NHLers at some point we just need whatever player we pick to become a contributing NHLer for us

….and not be Jake Virtanen.

Maturity & some game-smart intelligence do matter, perhaps just as much as speed & skill - thanks! 

7 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

There isn't a franchise defenseman in this draft, if there was I wouldn't have seen 3-4 different players ranked as #1 by different services.

Not to mention that every year there are guys taken after the 10 spot that end up being studs, and I feel that will be especially true this year. We need a guy like Mcavoy, take a guess where he was taken?

• Vintage 1

Well, that was entertaining.

Not sure it was quite enough fun to make it worth losing two spots in the draft and wiping  away about a quarter of our lottery odds, just from tonight, but hey, it was a very Canucks thing to do.

We’ll probably sweep Calgary in the final two games of this three game “playoff series,” finish the season at 23rd overall, drop a further 3 spots in the draft (or 5 spots counting tonight), and enter the lottery with almost three times less of a chance of winning, than what our odds were sitting at before this game.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • RoughGame 2

9 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

There isn't a franchise defenseman in this draft, if there was I wouldn't have seen 3-4 different players ranked as #1 by different services.

Power most likely than anyone else. Hughes and Clarke have that sort of promise too.