The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Is Schmidt on the move?

Me_

Just now, MikeBossy said:

Am I the only one willing to give Schmidt a chance next season before declaring him a bust lol?

Definitely willing to give him another shot.

But if you can get assets for him and free up 6 million in cap I think you do it. I think we can use that 6 million in better ways.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

It’s not Doogie’s size, smarts, and skating and skills that interest me.  He reminds me of this TV show character. 

image.jpeg.89c8e4e5be636f9d39b18c633e6e8bdb.jpeg

Good old Neil Patrick Harris.absolutely no hockey skill that I’ve heard. Funny actor tho.

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Scottydzik said:

Schmidt 2022 3rd to philly for Nolan Patrick bye Schmidt 

I think the Flyers have enough issues with who to protect in expansion without adding Schmidt.  They have Provorov, Sanheim, and Myers.

I would actually try to trade for either Braun or Hagg from them for a pick or prospect pre-expansion.  Two cheap D with shutdown capability as insurance in case Edler and Hamonic find homes elsewhere.

Then move Schmidt in a later move after expansion for a 3C or a top 6 winger.

Edited by Provost

2 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

The rumour that won't go away. At this point, it's gotta be true. Get what you can and move on.

we're always linked to stupid $&!# this time of year. I don't believe any of it. 

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 2

24 minutes ago, Provost said:

I think the Flyers have enough issues with who to protect in expansion without adding Schmidt.  They have Provorov, Sanheim, and Myers.

I would actually try to trade for either Braun or Hagg from them for a pick or prospect pre-expansion.  Two cheap D with shutdown capability as insurance in case Edler and Hamonic find homes elsewhere.

Then move Schmidt in a later move after expansion for a 3C or a top 6 winger.

The Flyers are also rumored to be going heavily after Seth Jones. That rumor just wont die. If so, hopefully Benning is kicking tires as they will meed to move a dman out.

They may want Schmidt if they miss out on Jones or one of the bigger name RH ufa. But I dont think he fits what they are prioritizing.

If he does want out maybe Washington or even Vegas might be good trading partners. If Washington really wanted to get out from Kuznetsov and wondering with that cap how willing they’d be to potentially sell low. 

Schmidt, Rousell and 2nd round pick for Kuznetsov and Dillon.

We should be good if the Holtby to Boston rumours are true and we can get rid of him without picking up cap.

16 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

we're always linked to stupid $&!# this time of year. I don't believe any of it. 

Just listened to a Dhaliwal quote where he at one moment says “nobody is coming out saying it isn’t true” and “we have a 30 second clip of Benning shooting it down” so… media might need to drum up some dirt to keep people tuning in during the summer. 

• Vintage 2

Just now, KingRaj91 said:

Didn't Benning already come out and say that Schmidt never asked for a trade? I think it was last month he said he already had talks with Schmidt and he's happy in Van so this reports interesting. 

Don’t believe everything you hear. Benning could just say that so he doesn’t look like he’s dealing from a position of weakness. Or it could all be hogwash. The rumours could be completely made up or it happened and Benning is telling you it didn’t so he can find more value in a trade. 

3 minutes ago, KingRaj91 said:

Didn't Benning already come out and say that Schmidt never asked for a trade? I think it was last month he said he already had talks with Schmidt and he's happy in Van so this reports interesting. 

Benning did say he didnt know where the rumor was coming from and denied it. That doesnt mean much though. It could be true, it could be false. If true Benning knows he would be a fool to admit it publicly especially when the player has not forced his hand by doing so. Benning is not that stupid to tank a potential return with absolutely no upside in publicly confirming something like that.

Or like i said, it may just not be true. 

It is avery persistent rumor though and a lot of the time where there is smoke there is fire. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Edited by wallstreetamigo

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Definitely willing to give him another shot.

But if you can get assets for him and free up 6 million in cap I think you do it. I think we can use that 6 million in better ways.

I would give Schmidt another year also, I think people need to stop thinking a trade is going to free up 5.9m, I doubt there are many teams who will take that contract on fully without sending some form of cap hit back. That or Canucks may get a 3rd only back or maybe less depending how quickly the Canuck GM chooses to trade him if he wants out or the team is wanting out of his contract after 1 shortened pandemic filled season

• Cheers 1

58 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

If he does want out maybe Washington or even Vegas might be good trading partners. If Washington really wanted to get out from Kuznetsov and wondering with that cap how willing they’d be to potentially sell low. 

Schmidt, Rousell and 2nd round pick for Kuznetsov and Dillon.

We should be good if the Holtby to Boston rumours are true and we can get rid of him without picking up cap.

Does Van have enough hookers n blow for Kuznetsov tho? 

• Haha 2