The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Is Schmidt on the move?

Me_

5 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

But asset management! 

ya we will see i feel like benning is gonna look at oel trade this summer i cant see  the same team playing in fall

edler probably walks away unless he wants 900k a yr otherwise he plays elsewhere   left side is locked up  unless we trade for oel then i can see juolevi schmidt  being traded for prospects or picks or a third line c  jenner from blue jackets or konecny flyers coukd be ok targets

drafting best right dman  available as well 

hughes hamonic 

oel

rathbone  myers 

edler 

would be decent 

11 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Keep Schmidt, let Edler walk. Let Schmidt play on his natural side. He was used on the right side and I don't think it worked for him. Not with the way this team plays defense.

The only problem is, if we do that, we have exactly one RHD in the organization capable of playing as a regular in the NHL, and that's Myers.  Hamonic could be added to that list too, but that's only if we have the cap space to resign him.

23 hours ago, canuktravella said:

ya we will see i feel like benning is gonna look at oel trade this summer i cant see  the same team playing in fall

edler probably walks away unless he wants 900k a yr otherwise he plays elsewhere   left side is locked up  unless we trade for oel then i can see juolevi schmidt  being traded for prospects or picks or a third line c  jenner from blue jackets or konecny flyers coukd be ok targets

hughes hamonic 

oel

rathbone  myers 

edler 

would be decent 

We should move on from Edler.

I feel team knows what the Canucks are going to throw out their way.

He’s become slower and predictable.

hughes hamonic 

oel

rathbone  myers 

edler 

would be decent 

If Benning trades for OEL he should be immediately fired. If he wastes even 1 second pursuing it he should be actually.

• Upvote 1

hughes hamonic 

oel

rathbone  myers 

edler 

would be decent 

OEL would be a mistake. This team doesn't need $8.25M on the books for the next six seasons, when they're looking at a new core needing support players. 

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Comeback_Kings said:

How about Oleksiak as a UFA signing?   An  Oleksiak  Schmidt  pairing seems like it would be a good tough to play against pairing.    

Oleksiak is probably on Benning's radar, for the same reason Myers was a couple of seasons ago. Always good to have some massive size on the team, and Oleksiak is a larger overall player than Myers with Jamie coming in around 255 lbs to Myers 229 lbs. 

Oleksiak shouldn't cost $6M and would definitely help take on major minutes, if the team decides to move on from Edler. Oleksiak is 28 years old, so he fits nicely into the roster that way as well. 

An Oleksiak Myers pairing would be pretty hard to get around with all that wingspan. I'm all for it.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

14 hours ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

The only problem is, if we do that, we have exactly one RHD in the organization capable of playing as a regular in the NHL, and that's Myers.  Hamonic could be added to that list too, but that's only if we have the cap space to resign him.

If we let Edler walk we should still have the cap to retain Hamonic, assuming his ask isn't high. But yes, we do fall short on right side D. But Schmidt is not a right side D anyway and his struggles this season should kind of shown that. People are ragging on Schmidt but never mention he's a left handed player playing RD. Something that even Vegas didn't like, which is why they moved Schmidt to begin with to bring in a RD in Pietrangelo. It's obvious our defense struggled and I think a good part of it was Schmidt and Edler not vibing together, Schmidt not vibing with the right side either.

I don't mind it if it means JB can use the cap space to pick up 2 good FA's!! He didn't show what he was really capable of in Vegas but I know not entirely his fault!! Bottom line is, if you're making $6M+ you better show up and produce big numbers!