The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Blackhawks working on Duncan Keith trade to Pacific Northwest or Western Canada

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I mean everyone praised Montreal for going out and getting guys like Staal and Perry and they were not a cup contender before this run.

It makes sense if the cost is low and salary is retained. We do need to do something with our d. And as much as people don’t like Keith he is the perfect player for Hughes to model his game after. Gets it done with his superb skating, body position, and stick work.

Okay, that’s fair, can see *some* benefit for the guy, especially if they retained or added a sweetener / took back a bad contract. 

I just think it’s the right side of our D that needs a makeover, not the left. Don’t really need another puck moving type either if his game has deteriorated. Not sold the “leadership” angle will fly if the guy can’t play anymore.. but admittedly I haven’t kept tabs on the Hawks much.  I guess we’ll see.  Super interesting offseason anyways.

As an aside, and to completely contradict my lack of faith in Keith, Perry’s success makes Getzlaf my pipe dream 3C pickup.  Play him with some young bucks in Hoglander and Podkolzin.  That’s some depth!

• Cheers 1

Can't see how Keith fits in Vancouver... or Edmonton, or Calgary. If the deal was sweet enough but I can't see how trading bad contracts with one year left for a bad contract with 2 years left makes sense. If Edler was not being re-signed then maybe if Chicago retained 50% for cap purposes and threw in a high pick. But even that seems like a bad move. The contract is buy out proof... so unless it's Calgary and they are getting Chicago's first I just can't see it being Western Canada. Edmonton can't waste their cap on him and does not need picks or prospects. And why Calgary would want a 38 year old d-man in serious decline when they already have that in Giordano makes no sense.

Has to be Seattle with a sweetener for the expansion draft.

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Who was he paired with when not with Werenski though?

Could it not be that he had a weak partner that he constantly had to cover for?

Was going off of memory, and had to hunt down this article: http://canucksarmy.com/2021/06/08/vancouver-canucks-not-trade-seth-jones/

It's a pretty thorough article on why the Canucks should steer clear of Jones. It's pretty stat heavy but written well. 

• Vintage 1

Ugh I sure hope he doesn’t come here. 
37 - 5.5 cap hit for the next two season to say he’s past his prime is a understatement 

in fact it should cost Chi to get rid of him.

Old dIrty Duncan Keith and a chi.’s first 

for a 3rd.

Edited by combover

6 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

And when Werenski was paired with, say, David Savard, his possession metrics maintained, while Jones' took a significant hit when he was without Werenski. Jones still is a talented player, but not the ideal partner for Quinn Hughes, at least in this poster's humble opinion. 

yes. that's where i totally agree with you. 

there's way better options than jones for the reasons you outlined

• Vintage 2

Just now, Tom Sestito said:

yes. that's where i totally agree with you. 

there's way better options than jones for the reasons you outlined

When I first heard that Jones was available, I looked online for information on the guy. CanucksArmy wrote a solid article on Jones. 

Why the Vancouver Canucks should absolutely not trade for Seth Jones (canucksarmy.com)

I used to find their stuff super biased, but once J.D. Burke left, they vastly improved. Solid article. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, flickyoursedin said:

Turns 38 next month and has 2 years left on his contract. I’d pass on this one unless they retained half his salary and took Eriksson.

That’s what came to mind for me as well. Basically equalizes the cap commitments, with one year of Eriksson at $6M AAV, versus two years of Keith at ~2.77M AAV.

Also, if Keith really wants to be near his family, worth noting that Abbotsford is about one hour closer to Penticton than Vancouver. ;) 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1