The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why we are never in the conversation for big name trades in the Benning era?

Rate this topic

13 hours ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

It’s a little frustrating to see where this franchise is at and all the pieces it is still missing and then realize we don’t have the assets to make impact trades. This franchise should at least have assets to make deals for players like a Seth Jones, yet this team isn’t even mentioned. That happens at every free agency and trade deadline. It’s just another example of how this franchise has not been set up to get better or to improve. There is very little in the prospect cupboard as of right now which is alarming at this point. It would just be nice to at least be in that conversation. Hearing Schmidt wants out just goes to show there is something wrong with this organization.

Cool.

13 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Bang on, I feel the same way about Benning being able to bring in real stars via trades or signings, but I guess he can't because he shot himself in the foot with several bad signings previously. It's a mess. 

Couldn't get OEL, Lost Tanev, settled for Schmidt

Miller was a nice trade acquisition, but he's not exactly a star. Neither is Pearson.

I find as well that when Benning does bring in a player, the player is sometimes past his best before date, and on the decline.  Ferland, Roussel, Beagle, Eriksson, Holtby, Schmidt, etc.

Lunch box.

Never been a “star system” team. New York and L.A. are. Not Vancouver.

Lunch Box.

coz we either don't have cap space or don't have the prospect/picks required to pull off such trade. teams that pulls off the big star trades usually are just coming off of their rebuild/retool where they stock up lots of draft picks/prospect ie the rangers. where they have 7 1st rounder 4 2nd rounders in the last 4 drafts. not all of them are hits but when u have that many 1st rounders and 2nd rounders.. it gives you a lot of ammunition for trades when the time comes and fits the criteria for what other team would want for their star players.. usually a 1st, and or multiple grade A prospects, or young player. something the Canucks never had  the luxury of having. i mean yes they have the grade A prospect/young players at times but never had the luxury of able to expand any of them because we are terrible at asset management. we rarely gain asset and gave away a bunch and gotten nothing back even though we were suppose to be rebuilding still.

Also i doubt there are many "star" player that's not drafted by vancouver wants come and play for the canucks in their prime. the travel sucks, the tax sucks and the fan/media will run you out of town the moment you go on a slump.

17 hours ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

It’s a little frustrating to see where this franchise is at and all the pieces it is still missing and then realize we don’t have the assets to make impact trades. This franchise should at least have assets to make deals for players like a Seth Jones, yet this team isn’t even mentioned. That happens at every free agency and trade deadline. It’s just another example of how this franchise has not been set up to get better or to improve. There is very little in the prospect cupboard as of right now which is alarming at this point. It would just be nice to at least be in that conversation. Hearing Schmidt wants out just goes to show there is something wrong with this organization.

Well what do you expect when Uncle Jim struck out 3 out of his 7 draft years by wasting his picks with Yo-Levi, Jake the Ripper and last year drawing a complete blank with no 1st or 2nd round picks and then picking a bunch of nobody's in rounds 3 thru 7 that will never see the light of a NHL day.  Yet, many proclaim he is the second coming of Christ because of of a couple of lucky picks.  I won't even get into all the bad trades, signings and many players he let walk out the door on expired contracts rather than trade them for something/anything.   He's hopeless!

I for one am not fooled by the propoganda and hype that some fall for,   You hit the nail on the head and why Uncle Jim and his AHL Calibre side-kick coach Green must be Terminated !  This team is currently built and coached for regular season - Euro-League shinny hockey and NOT the NHL Finals.   

We're not even close! 

image.jpeg.95047db9f01c19cf14fe8e9aa7bdf1d9.jpeg

Edited by RU SERIOUS
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Angry Goose said:

Canucks landed a big fish in Miller, and Schmidt the following year was an excellent move.  Perhaps JB will surprise again.

Miller isn't exactly a big fish he was a good piece for the Bolts that happened to just step up when he join the Canucks. Schmidt is a Top 4 d-man but it's hardly a blockbuster trade. 

18 hours ago, Alflives said:

Big name, like Jones, doesn’t necessarily mean a player we want.  Hasn’t Jones regressed the last couple years?  

Seth Jones has a down year on a bad CBJ team but he's still an elite-D man and the same age as MacKinnon. That said I don't think Vancouver has the assets to get Jones in a trade and he could just walk after next season.

In which case if the Avs do not win the cup next season I can see him joining the Avs anyways.

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, knucklehead91 said:

2014-2018 = the years that were spent trying to win a cup for the Sedins. Hence the Vrbata, Vanek and Eriksson signings.

2018-2019 = the first year without the Sedins = rebuild = place holders = Beagle, Roussel etc

2019-2020 = year 2 of the rebuild = playoffs = 3rd round of playoffs = rebuild turning around on a dime

2020-2021 = COVID not a fair or normal year for anyone and not a year to be judged or used as a measuring stick. Canucks had the worst and most unfortunate/unfair season compared to any other team in the league and thats not speaking of injuries. The hands down worst scheduling by 1000000000000 miles due to the COVID shut down mid season.

So regarding this ... doesn't every organization work with the NHL scheduling team to discuss the regular season schedule? If the schedule so bad why didn't the Canucks push back on the schedule or make suggestions?

18 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Thank you very much for opening this thread.

Thank you very much for your opening statement.

Let's take a look back: Canucks lost two right handed D-Men in Tanev and Stecher and Jim Benning probably tried to land Tyson Barrie (that's an assumption - to be fair). Barrie of course joined the Oilers because he knew he would get way more time on the PP than in VAN. Option A find a replacement for the right side was no longer available. I really can't understand that Jim Benning added a LHD in Schmidt after losing two right handed D-Men.

One of the reasons why Schmidt had a down year was that he played not on his natural side, the left side. Not to mention that Schmidt's cap hit with 5.950.000 US-$ is massive, especially in the Canucks situatiion.

Jim Benning mentioned several times that he wants the Canucks to get bigger and stronger. Nevertheless he added a player like Schmidt with his 6.0 ft.

To sum it up: Schmidt was not a fit when the Canucks signed him. He was clearly the wrong player.

Duh…because Schmidt plays RD, and had for years? Played on the right side with Vegas the entire time there, and did it very well.

This thread blows. Canucks have made some pretty big trades. Some worked in our favour (Miller), some didn’t (Gudbranson). So far Schmidt looks more like the latter, but it was a weird year, so I’m not going to judge him solely on that. And he only cost a 3rd round pick, so really, even if he doesn’t improve much it’s not like he cost near what Gudbranson did.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

So wait....now we want assets so we can trade them away?

I thought we were over that "making a big splash" wish list and wanted young assets to slide into the roster (as they are) versus getting rid of them?  Putting all your eggs in one basket isn't always the best plan.

Grass is always greener.  It's summertime...get outside and have some fun.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Well what do you expect when Uncle Jim struck out 3 out of his 7 draft years by wasting his picks with Yo-Levi, Jake the Ripper and last year drawing a complete blank with no 1st or 2nd round picks and then picking a bunch of nobody's in rounds 3 thru 7 that will never see the light of a NHL day.  Yet, many proclaim he is the second coming of Christ because of of a couple of lucky picks.  I won't even get into all the bad trades, signings and many players he let walk out the door on expired contracts rather than trade them for something/anything.   He's hopeless!

I for one am not fooled by the propoganda and hype that some fall for,   You hit the nail on the head and why Uncle Jim and his AHL Calibre side-kick coach Green must be Terminated !  This team is currently built and coached for regular season - Euro-League shinny hockey and NOT the NHL Finals.   

We're not even close! 

image.jpeg.95047db9f01c19cf14fe8e9aa7bdf1d9.jpeg

You're still here?

7 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

This has been a problem for 15 years, on and off the ice

Not always. I recall Gillis and Gilman rather than discuss the sched they flew to NY and sat down with the schedular and came up with a pretty favourable few years. The schedule does require a fast and nimble mind, there's the problem LOL

20 hours ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

We actually are looked at by other organizations as a laughing stock because of the amount of disfunction that has happened. 

Image isn't everything.

Besides, I don't think your perception is reality on this one.  

17 hours ago, Dixon Ward said:

Ferland gets forgotten, I was pretty psyched when he got that inked, sadly his career is over, but he would have made us a much better team over the last couple of years.

that is interesting

cuz I thought, "Too bad it isn't 2015 Ferland" the day he was inked

4 hours ago, iinatcc said:

So regarding this ... doesn't every organization work with the NHL scheduling team to discuss the regular season schedule? If the schedule so bad why didn't the Canucks push back on the schedule or make suggestions?

So I did a huge write up about the scheduling this season and just how f***ed up Vancouvers scheduling was compared to everyone in the league. I can go back and tag you in it if you want to have a read.

What really f***ed it up for Vancouver was COVID hitting AFTER we got through the toughest part of the schedule and for how long it put us out of the game for.

So everyone was talking about Vancouver and how they had to finish the season playing 19 games in 30 days. It was insane… absolutely insane….. however… Vancouver also started the season playing 18 games in 30 days as well. No one at all paid attention to how brutal our start to the season was. But I noticed it, I didnt care too much because I was so happy to watch the Canucks play almost every single night. But then I started to wonder, well how many nights off are we going to have later in the season? What does the rest of the schedule look like and what does the rest look like for all the other teams in the division?

Remmeber Roussel’s comments just prior to COVID about how brutal the scheduling was? How everytime Vancouver got into town or a team came into town they were well rested before playing the Canucks. Montreal and Toronto had multiple 3-7 day breaks before Vancouver had 1 nice break. But that was supposed to flip and Vancouver was going to be the team getting more days off, more practice time and taking advantage of tired teams.

Every single team in the league had a point in their schedule where it was going to be a lot of condensed hockey. Either at the start, in the middle or towards the end. The problem was a lot of the teams in our division, were supposed to have it rougher near the end and Vancouver was to be more rested as the season went on. Unfortunately, after we got through our toughest part of the season, we were hit by COVID. It allowed the teams in our division to have the tougher part of their schedule to be a little more rested and for Vancouver, after battling COVID and all the lingering effects of it, had to fight through an extremely tiring and gruesome grind to the end.

We agreed to the schedule because it was going to be fair as we got to the end of it. And personally I would rather get the hard part of the scheduling out of the way early so that if any injuries occur due to fatigue, we are able to work through it in the middle of the season instead of at the end of the season heading into the playoffs. And we would be more rested going into the playoffs. COVID hit and we had no choice but to finish the season with how unfair the scheduling was compared to the rest of the division and the rest of the league. Its not on the league to blame for how bad the scheduling ended up being from start to finish, it was just how unlucky it was for us to get hit by COVID and when we were hit with COVID and for how long.

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

4 hours ago, iinatcc said:

Cause per Jim, and he have really no reason to lie here, the NHL don't show the schedules of the other teams to each team. Every team just gets its schedule and not everyone else's until the public does. 

Giving the covid circumstances, Jim probably felt it was reasonable to front load the schedule for more flexibility later in the season should teams catch covid. The part he did not know was the Canucks was the only team in the North to have a front loaded schedule. 

19 hours ago, knucklehead91 said:

Whats really disappointing is you and a fair amount of fans arent able to figure out when the rebuild actually began and what the years prior to the rebuild were about.

2014-2018 = the years that were spent trying to win a cup for the Sedins. Hence the Vrbata, Vanek and Eriksson signings.

2018-2019 = the first year without the Sedins = rebuild = place holders = Beagle, Roussel etc

2019-2020 = year 2 of the rebuild = playoffs = 3rd round of playoffs = rebuild turning around on a dime

2020-2021 = COVID not a fair or normal year for anyone and not a year to be judged or used as a measuring stick. Canucks had the worst and most unfortunate/unfair season compared to any other team in the league and thats not speaking of injuries. The hands down worst scheduling by 1000000000000 miles due to the COVID shut down mid season.

Does it make sense now? Bennings tenure has been 7 years, his actual rebuild has been 3, but this year isnt fair to put down on his resume. Next season and the following are when we can all agree wether or not this team is going in the right direction under JB and TG

gimme a break just because the sedins didn't retire yet it's not a rebuild? and we are praising benning now coz only took him "year 2" of the rebuild to be back in the playoff? ok so what the hell has he done during the actual rebuild then?? literally nothing other than getting podz? trading away a 1st rounder? trading away a 2nd and a prospect? none of those looks like the start of a rebuild. the team have done worse and picked higher with more draft picks overall during a retool than a rebuild? what kind of rebuild is this then?