The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks Trade for Dickinson from DAL for a 3rd.

1 hour ago, Duodenum said:

Graves is a fluffy pillow.

Need someone with far more truculence than Graves.

Agreed but at very least someone with a bit of an edge to them. Graves is no pillow but we could definitely do with someone tougher. Think Benning was simply trying to take advantage of COL’s situation 

Hits pretty hard for a pillow if you ask me. This is the kind d of presence we need on our back end so F’s think twice when entering the zone. He may not be a the best brawler out there but at least he willingly throws down and stands up for teammates.

4 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Hits pretty hard for a pillow if you ask me. This is the kind d of presence we need on our back end so F’s think twice when entering the zone. He may not be a the best brawler out there but at least he willingly throws down and stands up for teammates.

Just shows how long it’s been since the Canucks had a D man that could steamroll players.

Graves is an okay defender but he’s been hyped quite a bit. 

If we want a big hitter we can probably snag Zadorov from Chicago.

• Cheers 1

Canucks tried to land Leddy and Graves, two left handed defenceman. Benning is really trying to shake up things on the backend. Thought he would focus on a right handed defenceman but instead targeted a left handed defenceman.

again, no takers for Ristolainen. There were rumors ouf of Buffalo that Ristolainen would be the first player to be moved ahead of Eichel and Reinhart. Jersey was interested but didin't bite, yet.

Sabres overvalued the Ristolainen’s trade market

Paul Hamilton of WGR 550: It is clear that the Buffalo Sabres have overvalued the trade market for defenseman Rasmus Ristolainen, who may not even be protected by the Sabres for the expansion draft.

If the Sabres decide to protect Ristolainen over Will Borgen, the Seattle Kraken would likely select Borgen. If they protect Borgen, the Kraken may look at Colin Miller.

• Sad 1

44 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Just shows how long it’s been since the Canucks had a D man that could steamroll players.

Graves is an okay defender but he’s been hyped quite a bit. 

If we want a big hitter we can probably snag Zadorov from Chicago.

That’s exactly who I’m hoping we go after. He’s vicious.

And not that it’s necessary but a nice bonus would be having a comrade for Podz to speak with in native tongue as he begins his North American career and can stay up with the big club

2 hours ago, The Lock said:

I have no problems with this trade. I liked Dickenson even before this.

as stated by Drance he is a useful piece. I would be disappointed if he plays 3C because he is not known for generating lots of offence / playmaking. One of the reasons for the lack of secondary scoring over the past couple of years was that Canucks had two shutdown lines (3rd + 4th line with Sutter and Beagle as centers). With Dickinson as 3C this structural deficit would continue, Canucks wouldn't get much secondary scoring from a third line centered by Dickinson.

More importantly, i assume that Podkolzin will play on the 3rd line next season. I really want see a 3C who is capable of generating some offence to get Podkolzin's offensive game in the NHL going.

• RoughGame 1

55 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Graves was a good defenceman in the Av's system

A bottom six of 

Pearson-Dickinson-Podkolzin

Motte-Beagle-Lockwood 

Highmore 

I'd say that is a legit NHL 3rd line that we could role out in any situation.  Dickinson, Motte, Lockwood/Podz, Beagle all can play PK. Highmore can fill in for Lockwood if he struggles or take his spot in camp.

Just need one more piece for the top 6. Would SEA take Tarasenko in ED? If so, is there is a deal to be had there... Benning wants a Russian. If Tarasenko is healthy, he's only 29, gotta be a least 2-3 good seasons left. 2 years left on his deal at 8million per. SEA would have to retain...

Miller-Petey-Tarasenko 

Hoglander-Horvat-Boeser

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Noseforthenet said:

Since somehow this thread got de-railed into talking about finding a hard hitting defenseman, how far off is Jett Woo? I always thought him being NHL read would be the perfect partner for Hughes.

I think he’s probably another year away, but he’s closer than he’s generally given credit for. Adapted pretty seamlessly to the pro game and quickly earned the trust of the Comets coaching staff. Showed a fair deal of versatility and all situations competence. And he plays a rugged style and brings elements to his game (defensive prowess, physicality and aggression) that would be welcome on defence for the big club, in addition to his being a RH shot right side defenceman.

I’d say he’s a pretty long shot to make the team out of camp in 2021-22, but there’s still a chance that a very impressive preseason fast tracks his NHL arrival. I’d imagine that the combination of roster and coaching changes, and just the desire to turn the page on last season, might make for a fairly open competition for lineup spots (and the Canucks tend to have a pretty competitive camp/preseason where there are legitimate opportunities to play your way into the lineup, unlike some other NHL clubs), so if Woo comes in and absolutely blows everyone away through training and the exhibition games, it’s possible he could be a surprise new addition to the roster.

But most likely he spends next season in Abbotsford, and then competes for an NHL spot for 2022-23. Maybe with a sprinkling of games in 2021-22 for injury relief and late season call-ups, if we’re out of the playoff picture.

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

After all the pre-freeze trades, I think this one by JB is the best one. McCann was clearly available quite cheaply but we don't want to revisit that and he's not the defensive center we need. Toronto clearly just want to roll 4 scoring lines so good for them. I much prefer Benning's approach of a great top line, a decent 2nd line who can defend (moulded off Kesler's line) and then some good solid shutdown 3rd and 4th lines who can kill penalties, especially considering Petey and Brock aren't killing penalties and we have no young center in our franchise to replace Sutter and Beagle.

I wonder what this trade means for Highmore, Boyd and Sutter. Highmore played well but to be honest is an AHL player on just about any other team, definitely any playoff team. Boyd was decent at times but he and Vesey don't cut a playoff team. Sutter still has defensive juice in his tank so IMO has to come back cheaply as our 4th line center, and sounds like Beagle is done.

So far I'd like to go into next season with Dickinson starting at 3C next to Motte and then maybe see what Podkolzin can do on their wing to add a bit of size and scoring touch (we know Motte has some untapped offensive skill). On the 4th line we play Sutter, MacEwan and one of our many plugs (Highmore, Hawryluk, Boyd, Graovac). 

5 hours ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

How positive is it that hes re-signing in Edmonton?

From the Edmonton reports and oilers news IG pages they all pointing to he wants to sign with them and at a reasonable rate lower than what he’s sign as an open UFA.

so unless they really try and screw him he probably won’t make it to give us a chance but if he does i read that he’s looking for tanev money 4.5 million.

no idea how accurate any of that is though just what I’ve read on social media Hockey news.

im hope he comes to free agency and the Sedona sweet talk him and he get stoked on playing with petey how the team is shaping up and getting to partner up  with Hughes

10 minutes ago, R3aL said:

From the Edmonton reports and oilers news IG pages they all pointing to he wants to sign with them and at a reasonable rate lower than what he’s sign as an open UFA.

so unless they really try and screw him he probably won’t make it to give us a chance but if he does i read that he’s looking for tanev money 4.5 million.

no idea how accurate any of that is though just what I’ve read on social media Hockey news.

im hope he comes to free agency and the Sedona sweet talk him and he get stoked on playing with petey how the team is shaping up and getting to partner up  with Hughes

On Friday Daniel Nugent-Bowman tweeted Holland saying: "As we speak today, there’s a real possibility that Larsson wants to explore the market.”  So things changed overnight?

Edited by mll
  • Cheers 1