The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jason Dickinson | #18 | C

-AJ-

5 hours ago, Boudrias said:

I thought the Jets game was one of his strongest in weeks. Looked good. 

Hopefully Dickinson has another strong showing tonight. 

He’s been an absolute disappointment playing centre. Wing he’s been okay. 

Lots of rumors surrounding Miller, Boeser, and Garland, but I feel it will be Dickinson who will be the first to be moved.

He just doesn't do anything when he is on the ice. I will give him credit, he is good defensively, but other than that, he provides very little of anything. Hands of stone, can't win faceoffs, isn't physical, and doesn't skate fast enough to be effective as a checker either. I really liked him before he came to Vancouver and had high hopes he could provide some more to this team in the bottom six, but he legitmately doesn't do anything to help this team. Its like he is a more expensive version of Brendan Gaunce.

Big rangy, versatile, and hope that he could provide minutes up the middle, but his lack of skating efficiency and overall skills just makes him a human pylon. It was a nice experiment, but its time to move on from him. He is my candidate to be moved to make cap space, he just doesn't fit this team at all. I can see why he was juggled around in Dallas, he doesn't seem to be able to define his own role as a player. Its hard to find a place for a guy who has no bottom line to his game. 

6 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Lots of rumors surrounding Miller, Boeser, and Garland, but I feel it will be Dickinson who will be the first to be moved.

He just doesn't do anything when he is on the ice. I will give him credit, he is good defensively, but other than that, he provides very little of anything. Hands of stone, can't win faceoffs, isn't physical, and doesn't skate fast enough to be effective as a checker either. I really liked him before he came to Vancouver and had high hopes he could provide some more to this team in the bottom six, but he legitmately doesn't do anything to help this team. Its like he is a more expensive version of Brendan Gaunce.

Big rangy, versatile, and hope that he could provide minutes up the middle, but his lack of skating efficiency and overall skills just makes him a human pylon. It was a nice experiment, but its time to move on from him. He is my candidate to be moved to make cap space, he just doesn't fit this team at all. I can see why he was juggled around in Dallas, he doesn't seem to be able to define his own role as a player. Its hard to find a place for a guy who has no bottom line to his game. 

You’re not trading him alone without giving up assets as a sweetener. Nobody will want him. 

Dickinson hasn't been bad particularly, he just hasn't really done anything good this season. In the past few seasons he's at least been scoring around a 10 goal-pace mark, whereas that's more than halved this season. His faceoffs are still below 50%, he doesn't play physically but the only thing he has going for him is that he's alright defensively (not great) positionally. 2.6M is an absolute joke for what he brings when he really should be on under 1M for what he brings.

A great comparison is Lammikko - the kid comes into this team after coming from the best team in the league, slots into our 4th line and brings high energy every shift he's out there. He's now improved his faceoffs, is stronger defensively and is often Bruce's go-to energy line if we're struggling. Lammikko, Highmore and Motte are a fantastic bottom-6 line, one of the best 4th lines in the league (if you consider them our 4th line, they're probably our 3rd line now).

We've got another pylon in Dowling who really does nothing for this team and is about the same player as Dickinson but one makes 3 times as much cap-hit wise. 

Dickinson and Poolman make up around 5M of cap which could have gone to 1.5M worth of players.

Management is going to have to come up with something, it's not going to be easy to move a 2.6M pylon unless we take cap back but I wonder if there's a player out there who needs a "change of scenery" who costs around the same amount of money.

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Dickinson hasn't been bad particularly, he just hasn't really done anything good this season. In the past few seasons he's at least been scoring around a 10 goal-pace mark, whereas that's more than halved this season. His faceoffs are still below 50%, he doesn't play physically but the only thing he has going for him is that he's alright defensively (not great) positionally. 2.6M is an absolute joke for what he brings when he really should be on under 1M for what he brings.

A great comparison is Lammikko - the kid comes into this team after coming from the best team in the league, slots into our 4th line and brings high energy every shift he's out there. He's now improved his faceoffs, is stronger defensively and is often Bruce's go-to energy line if we're struggling. Lammikko, Highmore and Motte are a fantastic bottom-6 line, one of the best 4th lines in the league (if you consider them our 4th line, they're probably our 3rd line now).

We've got another pylon in Dowling who really does nothing for this team and is about the same player as Dickinson but one makes 3 times as much cap-hit wise. 

Dickinson and Poolman make up around 5M of cap which could have gone to 1.5M worth of players.

Management is going to have to come up with something, it's not going to be easy to move a 2.6M pylon unless we take cap back but I wonder if there's a player out there who needs a "change of scenery" who costs around the same amount of money.

Or a GM who can be duped into thinking Dickinson is a useful player, the same way Benning was.

On 1/29/2022 at 10:47 AM, N4ZZY said:

Hopefully Dickinson has another strong showing tonight. 

He’s been an absolute disappointment playing centre. Wing he’s been okay. 

I wonder why Motte never gets  a shot at center

• 4 weeks later...

Hate to be so negative, but Dickison has taken over from E r i k s s o n as the player I would welcome a departure from the Canucks. 

Remember Dickison talking up a big story about how he thought he had more to give offensively, and how he likes to pride himself in being a hard guy to play against when he was first acquired by Benning?  It's now all blah, blah, blah to me now. 

The guy's not even a legit NHL player, let alone a third line centreman that he was brought in to be.  Another fine piece of pro scouting by Benning's crew.

Dickison has more value as a buy out candidate. He'll cost the Canucks close to a million for 2022-23, 24-25 and 25-26 and $400K in 2023-24. His contract spot and the money saved is of more value than Dickison himself.

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, bigbadcanucks said:

Hate to be so negative, but Dickison has taken over from E r i k s s o n as the player I would welcome a departure from the Canucks. 

Remember Dickison talking up a big story about how he thought he had more to give offensively, and how he likes to pride himself in being a hard guy to play against when he was first acquired by Benning?  It's now all blah, blah, blah to me now. 

The guy's not even a legit NHL player, let alone a third line centreman that he was brought in to be.  Another fine piece of pro scouting by Benning's crew.

Dickison has more value as a buy out candidate. He'll cost the Canucks close to a million for 2022-23, 24-25 and 25-26 and $400K in 2023-24. His contract spot and the money saved is of more value than Dickison himself.

I feel pretty embarassed about being happy with the trade when it first happened. Gift of hindsight and all that, but holy crap he has been absolutely useless. On a team full of bad contracts his might be the worst in terms of bang for your buck. OEL has that albatross contract, but as of right now he's still a damn good top four defenseman. Poolman's contract is terrible and probably a pure cap dump, but his position alone dictates that he is more valuable than Dickinson. 

Dickinson literally provides nothing to this team.

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Either gonna cost us a pretty penny for a team to take his cap hit which we can’t really afford with a bare prospect pool or we’re stuck with him. 

I don’t think this team wants anymore dead cap long-term. 

Similar situation to Nate”The Juice Man” Schmidt last year.  We were lucky to dumperoo that clown.  Dickinson will get dumperooed too, but I think you’re right it’s going to cost us.  Likely a prospect.  

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Similar situation to Nate”The Juice Man” Schmidt last year.  We were lucky to dumperoo that clown.  Dickinson will get dumperooed too, but I think you’re right it’s going to cost us.  Likely a prospect.  

We could always try and attach him to a bigger deal involving Boeser this year or Miller next year, although it would mean a lesser return and eating some short term cap.

Only 2.65M, its not Player Names 6M.

He has speed & forechecks well, but it doesn't translate into anything tangible. Plus he's been bad on the PK & cant win faceoffs. As a LW I could see him being useful for someone, but it just hasn't worked as a fit here.

Maybe we can find another struggling player with an undesirable contract to swap him for. (ala Gudbranson for Pearson) 

4 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Only 2.65M, its not Player Names 6M.

He has speed & forechecks well, but it doesn't translate into anything tangible. Plus he's been bad on the PK & cant win faceoffs. As a LW I could see him being useful for someone, but it just hasn't worked as a fit here.

Maybe we can find another struggling player with an undesirable contract to swap him for. (ala Gudbranson for Pearson) 

Probably because he's best suited as a solid checking winger who's on a line with a solid checking defensive center.  Sutter was that before father time & injuries wore his body down.  This team really doesn't have such a center right now (which makes Dickinson *look* worse than he really is).

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Probably because he's best suited as a solid checking winger who's on a line with a solid checking defensive center.  Sutter was that before father time & injuries wore his body down.  This team really doesn't have such a center right now (which makes Dickinson *look* worse than he really is).

Agreed. We were hoping Dickinson could make the transition to being a good 3C but he's proven to not be a good C. (Which is what we need)