The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Jay Beagle, Loui Eriksson, Antoine Roussel, 2021 1st-round pick, 2022 2nd-round pick, 2023 7th-round pick to Coyotes for Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Conor Garland

2 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

I am optimistic about a bounce back season from OEL. 

He just turned 30 and ppl are acting like he's a senior citizen. Moreover OEL wants to come to Van. I don't think a guy capping the bed commands a 2 team trade list unless he is confident he can play better and fulfill his contract. 

If OEL plays like I expect him to play AND we are adding Garland, I don't see how this isnt good news for everyone. 

I'd be stoked if I was a player on the team. JB is showing that he wants to surround his core with better players immediately 

The OEL trade makes this upcoming season a lot more interesting.

Most people that I've heard seem to think that Garland is going to be a solid player.  If OEL turns out to be a first line defenceman this season and  for, say, the next three  years after, this will be regarded as a terrific trade.  If he continues what some see as a downward spiral, and we're stuck with another Swedish albatross contract, even more people will be turning on Benning.

Should be fun to watch which way it goes.  And it starts this season.

Here's hoping it goes the right way.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Im skeptical on that one actually now, why wouldn't Arizona take him? If I was Arizona I would of rather taken him even with the crap going on over Roussel, unless Benning isn't ready to move him and maybe believes this situation with him will blow over eventually... I believe he could of been moved in this trade if they really were looking to move him or move on from him.

Yeah he did mention of potential buyouts so it would only make sense if he can't move anyone....

The Coyotes might have taken him if not for the blowback they got after drafting Mitchell Miller last draft. I think their appetite for problem players is probably pretty low right now.

• Like 1

Just now, Alflives said:

Jake will be bought out, and if he gets another chance in the league it will be on a US team (no press) and on a PTO.  

Time will tell, but why buy him out when you could of probably traded him instead if you don't want him... That's the part that doesn't make sense, instead of a 7th round pick you don't think Virtanen could of been dealt instead... 

1 minute ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Time will tell, but why buy him out when you could of probably traded him instead if you don't want him... That's the part that doesn't make sense, instead of a 7th round pick you don't think Virtanen could of been dealt instead... 

I'm hoping that he'll be part of a package deal with Holtby or Schmidt.

• Cheers 3

4 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

The OEL trade makes this upcoming season a lot more interesting.

Most people that I've heard seem to think that Garland is going to be a solid player.  If OEL turns out to be a first line defenceman this season and  for, say, the next three  years after, this will be regarded as a terrific trade.  If he continues what some see as a downward spiral, and we're stuck with another Swedish albatross contract, even more people will be turning on Benning.

Should be fun to watch which way it goes.  And it starts this season.

Here's hoping it goes the right way.

I’m optimistic that a coaching staff led by Travis Green will make a big difference. Green is known as a player’s coach, is well liked, and especially seems to maintain good relationships with NHL veterans. Add in defenceman whisperer Brad Shaw, and you have a really good situation for OEL. And certainly any change will be an improvement, as the relationship between OEL and the Arizona staff was really not good the last few years, especially with head coach Rick Tocchet.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Chickenspear said:

It's included in the total cap hit already. 

Again, just scrolling. Ferland and his cap hit are irrelevant to the Vancouver Canucks unless he plans on ever playing again. It just doesn’t count plain and simple. The full cap hit will be subtracted because of IR. 

4 minutes ago, Johnny Torts said:

Again, just scrolling. Ferland and his cap hit are irrelevant to the Vancouver Canucks unless he plans on ever playing again. It just doesn’t count plain and simple. The full cap hit will be subtracted because of IR. 

I was merely pointing out that his cap hit is included in our total $62m hit right now. 

4 minutes ago, 250Integra said:

Also, this version of the Canucks may have two of the best offensively talented defencemen to ever don a Canucks jersey. Both Hughes and OEL are franchise defencemen, something we’ve never really had in our team’s history.

Agreed. 

OEL and RT had some $&!# going on, was on a team where the best player was Brad Richardson for a while, etc.

Hughes is a franchise OFD. Let everyone understand that he’s not there to be a wall infront of our net, he’s here to tuck more than the opposition, and needs a stay at home D by him. It’s an understanding amongst the league through decades of OFD’s to have someone stay at home. 

1 hour ago, RWMc1 said:

It should be obvious. You claim that he won't be able to produce here but he might somewhere else. I asked if you see him on our roster next season and you ignored that.

No, I don't see him on our roster. 

1 hour ago, RWMc1 said:

I also showed that he has already produced more than last season which you seem to be using as a benchmark.

yes, but I don't think you understand what happened. 

1 hour ago, RWMc1 said:

If he is unlikely to be here next season then you can make any prediction you want because it is unverifiable. That's hedging your bet. That's what I was arguing.

Real usage: 18 g 18 a.

again, I'm not hedging anything. 

The reason Jake scored more in 2019 is he was used more on the PP, because of injuries. When he's off the PP he slides back into pretty underwhelming production numbers. 

Green doesn't want to use him over 12-13 minutes typically, and not on the PP1 unless he needs to for injures. 

Maybe another coach can shelter him more than Green on another team, and maybe they have crappier PP players that we do. Ift thats the case, he likely pops up a bit in production.

Does this make sense to you now?