The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Jay Beagle, Loui Eriksson, Antoine Roussel, 2021 1st-round pick, 2022 2nd-round pick, 2023 7th-round pick to Coyotes for Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Conor Garland

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

Right. Cause analytics got Arizona to become a bottom feeder. Where’s John Chayka?  He must be working in secret with Ron Francis. 

Chayka is seen as a moron by the analytics community. This is a weird straw man that you’re using to deflect because you can’t accept the fact that OEL isn’t a top pairing D anymore.

This isn’t even some sort of advanced analytic. If you play against a team’s 4th line, you will have a low QOC. This isn’t rocket science. 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, StiffStick33 said:

Went from being excited for the draft to being absolutely PUMPED for our season opener with that top 9/D pairings

Plus lots more could happen 

I hope we keep Nate but with him and Holtby and Jake that's still almost 13 million in cap space.

Benning Haters love saying how dumb he is but the upside and domino effect seems pretty smart to me.

The situation Benning is in is simple, win.

That is the mantra, he wins or he's fired.

Most of assumed that in order to add a top pairing D a very good 3c and a more farther along, better right now Hoglander, it would take several buyouts cap dump trades, our 1st(s) Nate, etc etc.

Instead in one trade when all is said and done walks out with maybe 2 million in cap space, I'm sure a very happy, motivated, top pair guy and Garland who instantly along with Dickenson and Podz completely changes our forward dynamic.

Plus seeing what's being given for D that can play the right side or are at least ok top 4 makes me think he would get a 1st or better yet a decent prospect. Benning also can still make moves in free agency by simply making moves already rumoured by moving Nate for cap plus moving Holtby and Jake, freeing up 13 milluon.

And even if in 3-4 years the cap hasn't gone up and OEL sucks, the buyout isn't terrible or for all we know LTIRed.

No point worrying about 3-4 years from now, we are easily the most improved team with the 6 players joining so far in Podz, Rathbone, Joulevi, OEL, Garland and Jason.

• Cheers 3

Just now, Iron Fist said:

Does this mean we have ladeskog money or no?

No, he's not worth it.

This is what happens next, I think. Schmidt's likely gone, so we'll get some cap space, and/or roster players and/or draft picks.

Holtby, we can either keep him, or we can trade him. Either way we still have an asset we can use. Buyout is a waste, but it could save us cap space if need be.

All we need is to fill in the roster with cheapish players, which we have plenty of in the system. Guys like Macewen, Bailey, Gadjovich, etc all have a chance to make a solid contribution to this team.

Fourth line - A cheap player, whether it be our farm team or UFA, we have space now.

We're going to be just fine.

15 minutes ago, combover said:

You mean the guys who contracts expire  after the season for a guy who’s here till he’s 36 at 7.2. 
huh 

Contend for the cup in years 2 to 4. Then who the hell cares about years 5 and 6. Buy him out or trade him if he’s no longer useful.

• Upvote 2