The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Jay Beagle, Loui Eriksson, Antoine Roussel, 2021 1st-round pick, 2022 2nd-round pick, 2023 7th-round pick to Coyotes for Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Conor Garland

1 minute ago, TheCustodian said:

Holy crap no he is not. OEL has been borderline terrible outside his PP production for three years. He may be worse defensively than Myers.

I don't know why people are downvoting you for this. You're not wrong. It doesn't mean that he can't improve with a change of scenery, but he has struggled a lot the last while relative to what he's expected to do. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Tom Sestito said:

How are some of you calling OEL a top pairing or top four defender when he wasn’t used that way in Arizona last year and got killed in a smaller role?

He has been brutal 5-on-5 for three years and is soft as butter. Let’s call it the “Holtby effect” where people only recall when players were actually good and don’t account for recent performance. 

Could also be called the “Benning lens” or something cause everyone apparently thinks OEL is coming off his rookie season. Worst contact in the league.

Edited by TheCustodian
  • Like 1

So much misery.

Canucks got rid of guys who can't really play at this level anymore, and receive a forward that can play at this level and still get better; plus a D man that is still a credible top 3 d man that skates well enough to last at least 2 more years of top 3, then likely a slow decline till the contract is over.

Some people wouldn't be happy if J.B. dealt the 7th round pick for a 50 goal scorer on a $3 mill per contract.

This thread is really helping me add people to my list of posters I won't be seeing again.

I'm warming up to this deal.

Considering Toronto a year ago had to pay a 1st to just dump Marleau, we had to pay a higher 1st to dump Eriksson+Roussel+Beagle.

And we got Conor Garland for essentially a 2nd, if he can develop into a winger like Brendan Gallgaher for Bo, we replaced Toffoli for cheaper.

I'm still wary of how this plays with our future cap situation (Boeser due for a raise soon) and I'm cautious about OEL's career trajectory. But I think we would at least have a few productive years out of him. I don't think he falls off a cliff like Loui.

I'm willing to wait a bit more before passing judgment on this. Needless to say though, JB is betting on playoffs next year so will be judged on that one rather than a rebuild route. 

Edited by DSVII
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

14 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Have a Beautiful day :)

Oh I will.thanks

I like a good laugh and It’s the one thing JB never fails at providing this especially time of year. 

garland 5”10 168 lbs lol 

oel 30 

we defiantly got harder to play against ::D

Edited by combover

21 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

This can be true, but what is also true is that the Canucks could have waited a year, at which point they'd have 13million off the books and could pursue this type of player without giving up assets. 

It seems benning could not wait a year because his job was on the line so made the panic move. Seriously a 1st round pick for a d past his prime what were you thinking Benning!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Our core isn't aging out, so the Gillis prospect comparison is stupid. We have years before our core is at the stage that Gillis left it, Plenty of time to restock the cupboards.

I am also hoping that we recoup a later 1st today with Schmidt and/or Holtby+.

I don't mind the deal and it makes us a better team We can add a few big D-men in UFA. Khaira would probably want to play in Vancouver.

• Like 1

Just now, combover said:

Oh I will.thanks

I like a good laugh and It’s the one thing JB never fails at providing this especially time of year. 

As long as we keep smiling that’s all that matters 

How badly has OEL actually declined the last couple of years?  I can't say that I actually watched a whole lot of Arizona games!

Also for those of you ARE familiar with his decline.  WHY are you familiar??  What has drawn you to digging to Arizona? haha

• Cheers 1