The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour/Speculation] Luke Schenn returning to Vancouver

AV.

2 minutes ago, filthycanuck said:

Agreed. I dont believe in that analytics trash. Im a Myers hater and ill even admit he was decent last year

I do believe some deeper stats help paint a picture, especially ones like toi or zone starts etc, but for the most parts they are useless metrics developed by people who never played a team sport in their lives

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, stawns said:

I do believe some deeper stats help paint a picture, especially ones like toi or zone starts etc, but for the most parts they are useless metrics developed by people who never played a team sport in their lives

This...exactly this. Stats are exactly what they sound like, numbers taken that are factual, but completely lack context. Most “experts” understand that +\- doesn’t always tell you anything but it can show outliers. For example a player on a terrible team that finishes the year with a +2 might:

1 - be amazing defensively 

2 - might play on a heavily focused offence only line that rarely starts in the defensive zone

3 - may have played one game in which his line scored two goals and then put back to the minors

Without all the context these stats mean nothing. Analytics nerds like to watch stats instead of hockey where someone with poor stats can still bring a large positive contribution to the ice. (The opposite is also true, a great “analytics” player may be terrible on the ice 

• Vintage 3

59 minutes ago, stawns said:

Charles Barkley said it best

"Analytics guys think they are part of the game, but they're really not"

• Vintage 1

5 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

He played almost 16 minutes in game 5 of the Stanley Cup semi finals against the NY Islanders. A pivotal game in the series where it was tied 2-2. 

If he can be relied upon to play 16 minutes in such an important game with the best team in the league then he is capable of being a bottom pairing Dman with Vancouver. At the very least he can rotate with Juolevi and Rathbone.  

To suggest he will simply be a 7D sitting in the press box every night and only playing because of injury is false. 

Well??

And for the record it is u saying. That I said he would only sit in the press box? You drew your own inference on that.

To me a reliable 7th D is worthwhile BTW; normally might play 35, 40, 50 games, 10 or 11 minutes a night?   The conclusion stated by myself was Luke might be a good 7th D man.. 

What are u suggesting.  That because he played 14 minutes against NYI's in a pivotal game he will be a top  defender for us? 

I looked in to it deeper. He's been on waivers at least once, every year for the last 4 years. Some years more than once, even though on a min NHL contract.

I suspect he will play a role much like Jordie Benn did if he signed.  I will be happy with that. You are welcome to think he will be more. 

27 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Well??

And for the record it is u saying. That I said he would only sit in the press box? You drew your own inference on that.

To me a reliable 7th D is worthwhile BTW; normally might play 35, 40, 50 games, 10 or 11 minutes a night?   The conclusion stated by myself was Luke might be a good 7th D man.. 

What are u suggesting.  That because he played 14 minutes against NYI's in a pivotal game he will be a top  defender for us? 

I looked in to it deeper. He's been on waivers at least once, every year for the last 4 years. Some years more than once, even though on a min NHL contract.

I suspect he will play a role much like Jordie Benn did if he signed.  I will be happy with that. You are welcome to think he will be more. 

Yes I guess I was thinking you meant he wasn't going to play much with the 7D reference.  I personally don't think he will be sitting often if he were to sign in Vancouver.  The reason why is Juolevi and Rathbone are still not proven at the NHL level so most likely one of them would be sitting in the press box each night since they are both LHD and Schenn is RHD.  But who knows.  If they are trading Schmidt then it's possible OEL moves over to the right side and bumps Schenn out of the top 6.

It all depends on what Benning's next move is.  If he can acquire another RHD in free agency then that would change things.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I'll wait until this is official, but the thought of a bottom pairing of him and Rathbone would be money. They'd be more than capable of eating up about 16 mins of 5on5 and coming out ahead. People don't know how skilled Rathbone is, and how much of a play driver he is. I know you've been following him closely since his first year in Harvard (if not earlier), and I've been keeping close tabs on him for a long time as well. They're both smart players, and Schenn was good at breaking out the puck when he was playing for us. Rathbone has a remarkable ability of making himself available to his partner. If none of the forwards are available, Schenn will always have Rathbone for support, and Rathbone can relieve the pressure with his excellent first pass or by simply wheeling the puck up the ice.

Schenn is THE perfect partner for Rathbone - on paper at least. Sincerely hope this is true.

PS: Definitely getting ahead of myself, but I'd be curious to see the total # of icings for this pairing at the end of the season if things shake out the way I hope/think they will.

39 minutes ago, Vanuckles said:

I'll wait until this is official, but the thought of a bottom pairing of him and Rathbone would be money. They'd be more than capable of eating up about 16 mins of 5on5 and coming out ahead. People don't know how skilled Rathbone is, and how much of a play driver he is. I know you've been following him closely since his first year in Harvard (if not earlier), and I've been keeping close tabs on him for a long time as well. They're both smart players, and Schenn was good at breaking out the puck when he was playing for us. Rathbone has a remarkable ability of making himself available to his partner. If none of the forwards are available, Schenn will always have Rathbone for support, and Rathbone can relieve the pressure with his excellent first pass or by simply wheeling the puck up the ice.

Schenn is THE perfect partner for Rathbone - on paper at least. Sincerely hope this is true.

PS: Definitely getting ahead of myself, but I'd be curious to see the total # of icings for this pairing at the end of the season if things shake out the way I hope/think they will.

Not sure why people are pencilling rathbone in.  He doesnt have to pass through waivers, whereas OJ does.  

2 hours ago, iinatcc said:

First Brandon Sutter possibly resigning rumors and now this ? 

Ok the Canucks are doomed

Signing bottom of the roster veterans for cheap short term contracts is good…

… signing them for long term expensive deals is bad.

Sutter can be good as a 4C at under $2 million.

1 hour ago, stawns said:

Not sure why people are pencilling rathbone in.  He doesnt have to pass through waivers, whereas OJ does.  

I've been following Rathbone for much longer :) 

My prediction is that Rathbone will have a stronger showing come training camp, but Juolevi might get the spot due to his pedigree of being a 5th overall pick and the club wants him to do well. Which I wouldn't blame them since that's modus operandi around the league. But when Rathbone inevitably draws into the lineup, he's going to make it tough for the coaching staff to take him out.

4 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

These are the type of deals a 30 plus complementary type players with great intangibles should be getting but JB is very generous with Aquamans' $.  I guess, JB had to try that way of rebuilding - moving on.

Edited by ShawnAntoski